New NT coach

Discussion in 'China' started by ruazn2, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  2. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  3. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    even the wiki states he got the china job.
    why cant we stick with gao hongbo lol.

so the update that the media reports is:

laos tie will be gao hongbo's last game.
    the new coach will sign new contract after the laos game, then he has one month to evaluate the chinese players, and play his first friendly against jamaica in august.

then 2014 qualifier in september.

butterflies in stomach guys, i feel bad about this.

4. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    because contrary to what Wei Di had said, CFA wants instant success so that sponsors like Wanda will feel their money is well spent.

like I had said before, even Jose Mourihno will not cure China's underlying problems.

5. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  6. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  7. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Lippi, Hiddink, and Van Gaal officially said cool story bro to CFA's invitation.

8. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    China appoint Spanish José Antonio Camacho Alfaro as head coach, salary 7m EUR per year

9. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  10. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    *butterflies in stomach*

11. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  12. Fushida

Fushida Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Canada
    ridiculous salary.

13. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    My first reaction was WTF. After giving it some thought, I'm still thinking WTF. I really don't get the rationale behind picking this guy to replace Gao Hongbo.

14. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    apparantly the CFA never have the faith that Gao would be anle to manage Team China over current round.

i attribute this to certain chinese trait of
    崇洋 --- often believing foreign know-how is always best for Team China.

i am not sure how good this camacho dude is, but CFA is giving wayyy too less time foe him to prepare (news said
    china vs. singapore would be his first match).

15. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    It's got more to do with marketing than anything else. Dalian Wanda Group is behind the move. They signed a 3-year contract with CFA that sponsors the CSL 500million RMB with a clause that requires CFA to sign a high-profile foreign manager for the NT, the purpose of which is to raise the level of profile for the NT and soccer in general so that more people will watch CSL games and thus a win-win situation for both Wanda and CSL.

Now that Wanda is CSL's sponsor, the official name for the league has changed to "Wanda Group CSL".

Here's info on Wanda Group:
    http://baike.baidu.com/view/1488493.htm

16. Fushida

Fushida Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Canada
    mirrors my sentiments.

here's a guy who probably didn't know a single chinese player as of a few months ago, and he's going to be picking the team to take us through years of WCQ with minimal preparation.

wat

17. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Not to mention we are rocking the boat and replacing Gao with a guy who's history from what I've read of his profile reeks of failure. Seems like a Carlos Quierez-type coach who when given a chance on the big stage just falls flat. Not sure that China really needs more of that at this point...

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I've been meaning to post for a few days on this subject, I guess I just couldn't get the words out.

Generally, I don't understand why the CFA have gone this way.

In one swop, they have basically told any aspiring Chinese coach that no matter what you do, there will always be someone else out there to do your job.

It's not like China were replacing a failing coach, they replaced someone who actually had quite a good record.

Now, China leave themselves short. Why didn't they bring in Camacho for the Laos games, he could have gotten a feel for it in two games that meant something, he could see the attitude of the players etc in a competitive environment.

He now comes in without any previous input. I doubt he even knows any of the players, so in theory, this is going to be a CFA selected squad that Camacho is told to work with.

Even more bizarre, why Camacho? If it had to be a foreigner, then why not someone who knows the Chinese game, Camacho maybe does, but I very much doubt it.

I guess it is an appointment with the CFA thinking he can take them onto the next level, but Gao Hangbo got them to a level with the players he selected, if Camacho is given freedom then surely he will break up the good work of the recent past?

19. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    do people still believe Wei Di was a really great choice and will lead the CFA in the right direction?

Pfft....same shit, different guy, that's all. So should we be calling our new manager Aarie Camacho or Jose Antonio Haan. Just like that hiring, he's the 5th or 6th choice.

20. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    It's partly due to Wanda Group's money. It would appea that they really wanted the switch, to get someone famous. I would had no problem if they actually did get someone famous, but now this?? Just sad. Gao lost only 4 level A games during his 2 year career as the NT coach, that's pretty impressive!

21. shingkei

shingkei Member

Mar 23, 2007
    China
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Gao Hongbo is the best NT coach after Milu

22. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Gao did an okay job but the fact is he (along with most chinese coaches) will be limited in his experience to mostly Chinese football, so sometimes you just have to rock the ship and bring in someone new. The ultimate goal is to do well enough to get into the final 10 of WCQ and perform well there. Therefore I dont think the AC helped Gao, as those three teams will have to be beaten if we want to qualify for the wc.

Camacho has played in the Euros and the WC, also managed in both, along with some decent Spanish and Portuguese clubs, so you would think he is able to bring something new to the table here. I do have to say his salary is way too high but if you are desperate for a foreigner i guess you will have to fork over the money.

23. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    But the biggest problem for me is that Camacho doesn't know anything about Chinese football. So what is he going to bring to the table?

He will use the same players and frankly I hate to see what happens in training when he struggles to get his message across.

I can see Camcho back in Europe in a couple of years telling the press that he just couldn't get his message across and probably dumb down the domestic game. This is what happens. Gao is Chinese, he wants them to succeed, Camacho is Spanish, it's a new exciting challenge for him, but if he fails, it doesn't hurt him.

Robson proved that at Thailand, he failed, he walked away. Metsu at Qatar and UAE, he failed he walked away. They all find it easy to say this and that but when it's tough and going bad, they move on. Now yes, any coach can do this, but I do believe foreigners (and I am one) don't have that commitment. A Chinese coach will, but of course, we need good Chinese coaches, Gao had a good record and look what they did. It's good to learn from foreigners, but when you have a good coach yourself, you shouldn't really push them to the side.

24. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the Chinese Football Association wants him to bring more technical and attacking football to the team.
    as Camacho doesn't know jackshit about Chinese football, two Chinese assistant coaches will remain and support him.
    it was heard that he is proactively looking at around twenty videos to understand the team.

Gao Hongbo was asked to stay to help Camacho, but it seems the Spanish coach doesn't want Gao.

25. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Good points. The timing of this whole ordeal is just ridiculous. If the CFA had intended on replacing/dismissing Gao, they should have done so immediately following the Asian Cup. Doing it now so close to WCQ when the team is showing positive results seems foolish. I mean, there are exceptions for sure. If the CFA suddenly announced that Hiddink decided to try his luck in East Asia again (which he won't dare to push his luck), then I can understand Gao stepping aside. But come on, Camacho hardly has the credentials/record or experience to back himself up as a clearly better option than Gao right now.