New MLS Youth Develupment Rules--NER

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by IRguy, Sep 28, 2006.

1. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well partly anyways the Rules Anyways, Soccer America Reports.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?ART_ID=562137749

Discuss;)

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think that rule is designed to phase in the immediate impact to the league.

That Sheanon Williams kid can't be a homegrown player, but Johnny X will be for RBNY.

So am I to assume that a U-25 team would play in the PDL?

4. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams will be encouraged to develop these programs in a centrally run league? Okay, I could accept that but it also reads like individual teams have to pay for it which only raises the questions of how much of a single entity MLS really is.

I'm going to be very curious to see how much (little actually) money the Krafts are willing to shell out for this. Should they actually do something, I hope they don't plop this on SN's shoulders. SN basher that I am, I do not believe it is fair to put even more on his plate.

If they really wind up doing nothing, I suggest Sunil for the job. He is highly qualified at doing nothing for this team from all outward appearances.

5. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Fixed his quote.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting stuff. I think the big question mark will be the college/NCAA involvement. That could be a hold up, but I'm hoping they're trying to find a way around it.

And you really have to wonder about what the Revs involvement in this will be like. As was mentioned, we're already a year/two behind some of the teams we compete with (RBNY and DC) to be specific...

7. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't the NCAA would be involved at all unless it's to enforce their rules.

The issue would be how to get PDL players on the same team as those already on the developmental roster (i.e. professionals).

8. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    BTW, this program makes it even more important to have a head of soccer/technical director who doesn't have another full-time job.

9. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    originally posted by Soccer America - - >

"GLUTTED HODGEPODGE. Potential conflicts and confusions abound, aside from running afoul of the colleges and high schools. Powerful youth clubs, which in some cases require parents to pay thousands of dollars per year in fees and expenses, may not welcome intrusions on what they see as their turf. Already there is such a glutted hodgepodge of clubs, competitions, tournaments, clinics, academies and camps including those run by MLS teams and delineating the boundaries and differences will be daunting. And how the MLS programs will mesh with those already in place, such as the Olympic Development Program (ODP), and not breach NCAA regulations, won't be known for some time."

This is an understatement!

Trying to untangle the rules for Maple, Super-Y, ODP, MIAA & NCAA will be a nightmare. A player registered with a MAPLE club can't switch without "player tampering " charges being raised ( assuming that the new Rev youth club plays in MAPLE). If they played in Maple, the Rev Academy tryouts would have to be in June like all other Maple teams.

What if the players also played ODP? Players would have to forego REV training for ODP events per the players guidelines for rules of play.

Mass Premier Soccer controls the Boston area rights for Super-Y while Blackwatch RI controls Rhode Island. Junior Pioneers hold Super-Y rights for the western part of Mass. and the Phantoms & Seacoast own NH. can't just drop into this league either.

Does this mean that the new Rev Academy team would then fly to play other MLS Academy teams ? Very expensive and really not worth the benefit. How would this affect NCAA eligibility?

Would Rev Academy players train year round (ala Chicago Magic) and forego playing for their HS teams and avoiding MIAA altogether?

Maybe just play an exhibition schedule with no set league?

I think it's the right idea. It's just untangling the overcomplicated and competing youth soccer factions that will be the biggest hurdle.

10. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoccerAmerica
    ...The league has set out a plan by which six developmental teams, ranging in age from U-14 to U-25, will be run by each MLS team at its own cost. ...

Hopefully Soccer America got it wrong. What is the point of having U-23 & U-25 development teams. If a players is not well developed and near 1st team by then he is lost. Money spent on this group is also lost!

11. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The PDL is U-23. That would be the way to get a good look at local college players. You're right about U-25, but there is also a new Super-20 league so that may be the sixth team instead.

12. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the standpoint of the revs/being a revs fan, I love this. since we won't spend money on buying players, this is our best shot at getting new talent-developing them.

As far as ayso, maple, odp, club, etc. I think you'll see the herd thin and I think that's fine (and I know some of the parents who spend insane cash and have to deal with the pain in the ass coaches and league who compete for the kids time will be thrilled).

I think this is the direction the game needs to go here.

As far as NCAA, who knows how that will figure out. Personally, I don't care. I'd like to see these kids get an degree, but this is professional sports league and I want to see top talent. I don't care how they get there and I believe this model will do a better job of producing talent than ncaa

13. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    You know, given all the kvetching that youth soccer focuses too much on winning meaningless tournaments at age 13 instead of developing players to be great at 18-22, this may not actually be so crazy.

For crissakes, if the u15s are part of an MLS system, they don't need to travel a long way (like a Super-Y team, for example) to face elite competion: elite competition is right there on the training grounds. In fact, now that I think of it, you can actually throw out the stupid age requirement stuff, too, and those just-over-the-cut-off-birthday kids are back in the game.

Suddenly, the expense becomes a few vans and drivers to pick kids up 3-5 times a week, fields (which most teams already have at there disposal), and the coaching staff. Take tournament/match travel out of the equation, and all of a sudden this seems a lot less like a pipe dream.

We'll see, I guess. It feels like progress.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realized one thing this morning on the way to work. This is going to be a huge step for Kraft soccer to show that they're serious about a) soccer and b) the Revs. If they follow through on it and do things like the Red Bulls are ... it could be a very good thing. I'm just worried it'll be the other way.

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think this may actally represent much more of a threat to ODP than vice-versa. At the present time, ODP tries to fill a niche between club soccer and the next level (pro, national team, D1.) It's not especially well-run, and competes for paying players with other would-be elite leagues. Super-Y is primarly a summer league, and has never taken off precisely because it doesn't have the professional tie-in. MAPLE has too diffuse a talent pool to be considered at the same level as a pro academy. USYS Region teams are probably the most directly competitive for the kids that would attend a pro academy.

On the USYS Region 1 site, they actually have the DCU, NYRB and Rev logos on the bottom of the page.

I would expect MLS to negotiate with ODP/USYS to exchange MLS stature for USYS infrastructure, with the MLS teams assuming some of the cost, and replacing some of the current team structure. If ODP refuses, MLS can (with effort) compete with existing clubs for players, start their own league, and create complete chaos for USYS. MLS could undercut ODP by funneling retired pros into coaching, making it much cheaper than ODP (sponsors), and by recruiting from underserved/underfunded areas. After all, if ODP is not the most prestigious youth league, why pay the outrageous money? If you are a kid, would you rather play for NH Phantoms, Far Post FC, Black Watch, or Revolution Academy?

16. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as the NCAA goes, the biggest issue relative to amateurism looks to me to be the question of expenses and reimbursement. In other respects, the players won't be getting paid nor playing on a team with professional players, so they'll be fine from that angle.

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What if the Revs wanted to play a developmental player under contract in one of the U-23 or U-19 games?

18. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting question.

Here are the relevant NCAA rules:

Simply playing in the same game probably isn't an issue. Points 1-3 should be easy to avoid until a player is put on the "home grown" list at which point they may be deemed in violation of points 2 &/or 3. Point 4 however looks like it will be a real problem if we are looking to recruit players from outside the immediate vicinity. It will be very interesting to see if MLS/teams are able to work out a deal w/the NCAA or if enough prospects are willing to forego the NCAA altogether.

Your question does make me wonder about how clubs will be structured in the future. Next year is easy enough with the contracted Revs (including Reserves/Dev Roster) + U18s + U15s. Once the setup expands to include the U20+ level though there will be a lot of overlap between your young reserves and non-contracted older Academy players and it will be interesting to see how that works out.

19. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So, essentially, if the Revs fielded a PDL team, it would be up to the PDL if signed developmental players are allowed on the field.

I have to wonder how the PDL teams get around paying for hotel rooms for the playoffs? If the entire team are amatuers, it's easy to slip under the radar. If a pro team does that, it could be seen as "payment".

20. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm also wondering if the Revs would be willing to sign players to developmental contracts and pay for their last 1-2 years of school?

Players would get the opportunity to train close to year-round with the club, learn it's system, and still finish school on time.

I guess the system would have to be proven better than the college soccer route first (much like baseball).

21. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seeing how college teams book hotel rooms all the time, that doesn't strike me as a problem.

Rule 2: "Accepts a promise of pay even if such pay is to be received following completion of intercollegiate athletics participation." might be where the trouble lies.

22. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    Could be wrong, but I could swear players over-23 play in the PDL??

23. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/AboutPDL/index_E.html

24. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, but the colleges book them, not a professional sports team. Unless the Revs set up a seperate entity for this, it may be a problem.

25. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still wondering if the REVs will be willing to pay one single sent for any of this youth developmental system. Does someone have any real evidence that the Krafts are even going to participate? Aside from a broad, generic league announcement has Kraft, Craig, Burns, SN or PM come out and said they intend to play in this particular sandbox?