New MLS Sponsorship, ratings etc

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Andy_B, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this was posted in another link, but the information in here deserves its own thread

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/mls/2002-07-31-post-cup_x.htm

Highlights

*A multiyear sponsorship agreement with ADT Security Services that will be announced Thursday.

*ADT began its involvement with MLS by purchasing ad time during the World Cup. Now, ADT is becoming an MLS sponsor for the remainder of this season and several more seasons.

*Budweiser, which had been an MLS sponsor, increased its financial commitment to the league by deciding to become the title sponsor of the league's Hispanic Heritage Nights.

* And league officials are hoping that Burger King, another member of the World Cup ad lineup, also will become an MLS sponsor.

Thoughts:

1) Take the article with a grain of salt as the writer has very little MLS knowledge (the piece comes off as thinking the July 4th crowds in Colorado and LA were due to a WC bump, he believes attendance will be up this year without acknowledging that we need to hit 16,000 to break even etc)

2) The Burger King sponsorship would be great IMO. The league has always lacked a Fast Food sponsorship and this would be a nice pick up if possible.

3) GREAT news about ADT and Bud adding even more money to the league

4) St Phil's seeds of tying MLS to the WC seems to be showing the signs of starting to sprout

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad for a league on its "deathbed" according to some eight months ago.

3. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep things in perspective.

The ADT deal is for "Corporate Sponsorship" not "Official Sponsorship. What's the difference? Official Sponsors get their name on the backs of player jerseys.

4. sounds good. Even though alot of us worry, I think the mls is here to stay. Another few stadiums get built, then we will have no worrys.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've never heard MLS needs to hit 16,000 to break even. is this true? has this been documented someplace?

just curious.

the rest of the info all seems like good news, even the ever so slight post-WC tv ratings boost. by my count, they've seen a lot of great goals on Soccer Saturday since the WC and might stick around to catch a few more...

6. Steve Spencer

Steve Spencer Member

Jan 7, 1999
    Palm Harbor, FL
    GARBER: "We expected the World Cup would give us a chance to grab new fans. Our task is to grab as many of those as we can, throw them into the pot of our MLS fans and build our base."

I don't know how Garber defines fans, but it would be great if MLS could get back the 5-10 percent of its fan base that it sent to the firing squad when it folded Miami and Tampa Bay. But that probably won't happen until the next expansion.

7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wrote that poorly.

What I was trying to say was that the author did not know (or at least did not state) that we needed to draw 16,000 this year to be even with last years attendance when we take out Tampa and Miami.

And back to your point, attendance is only one small piece of a pretty complicated pie in terms of breaking even, so if you ever hear anyone claim "if MLS just averages X they will break even", ignore them.

8. I totally agree with this. I think people get a little too caught up in the attendance numbers. There are many other factors such as controlling revenue streams at stadiums, rent, not having to pay for airtime, investors, sponsorship, and merchandising that are all part of the big puzzle that goes with attendance.

9. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Very true but as long as we have far more concrete info on attendance than the other factors you mention people will continue to fixate on it. I'm sure we'd dwell on all the things you mention if we had some numbers to play with.

10. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one thing I wonder is if Garber will address is the possibilty or expectations of new IO's entering the league. In this economic climate, I don't expect anything soon, but it would be nice-even if it's not the best news-for him to speak on the issue.

Also it's interesting that despite the transfer bids made by teams like Ajax and Bayern Munich, the league has not taken the cash. I have my doubts about it, but for a league that does have money issues, it's interesting how this flies in the face of so many who thought the fire sale was inevitable. While the players may not like it, it does dovetail nicely into this MLS-USMNT synergy that AEG is developing.

Burger King has been a MetorStars sponsor for a while-perhaps this has opened them up for larger exposure.

BTW-just how many teams in the league lack an on-shirt sponsor?

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit, I was one of the people who believed that the financial future of the league depended on becoming a feeder for Euro clubs.
    Now that I've seen the kind of transfer fees being offered, I admire MLS for sticking to it's guns. I want the players to be happy, of course. But selling a marquee player like Brian McBride for $1.5 mil to Rosenborg, for example, wouldn't be in the best interests of the league, and they knew it. Shows they're thinking long-term. Which suggests that they know they have the financial wherewithal to do so.

12. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA

Oooh... and Kraft just built CMGI with all of them McD's in it. No wonder Metros / NE games are so heated.

Kevin D.

13. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    I believe 3 of the ten.

San Jose - Yahoo
    LA - Budweiser
    Dallas - Kellogg's (Frosted Flakes)
    KC - US Soccer Foundation
    Chicago - Honda
    Colorado - <B>Available</B>
    Columbus - Pepsi
    New England - Pepsi
    New York - <B>Available</B>
    DC - <B>Available</B>

I think MLS needs to really sell this form of marketing to potential sponsors. Plus, they need to include the sponsor on the replicas they sell.

14. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

Boy, even with their current problems, AOL w/ DC United might be a nice fit. They're based in Northen Virgina, they are looking for a platform to enlarge their Hispanic market, as well maintaing their niche with kids. A soccer team wouldn't be the worst idea-imagine all of the free AOL junk they could put in goodie bags on Hispanic Heritage Night.

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're under Justice Department and SEC investigation

16. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did preface the idea noting they have "problems." When the dust is cleared (heavy fines, a scalp or two) they'll still have to address these areas where they are losing market share.

17. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Along with a number of other large corporations. Such is the tenor of the times. Either way, it would certainly be a high profile sponsor.

18. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    Because of sponsorship exclusivity, AOL couldn't become a sponsor before Yahoo stopped being a sponsor.

19. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slighty off topic: What is Chevy Trucks realtionship? There were both Honda boards as well as Chevy Trucks boards along the pitch yesterday-a bit like have both Coke and Pepsi signs, no?

20. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    I think yesterday they had both MLS and USSoccer signboards. Thus, Chevy (USSoccer) and Honda (MLS).

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If 17% of your clubs (2 of 12) are only comprising 5-10% of your fan base, you've got a different problem

22. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Ancient thread.

Closed.