New Looks Opinions

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Blue Barracuda, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Blue Barracuda

Blue Barracuda New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Now that MLS will have 3 new look teams, (in one's case, a rebranding) I'd like to know how you would rate the new looks. I've looked around in their respective boards, but I want to see how it would poll out. Here are my opinions:

FC Dallas: I actually like the logo, and the idea of putting '96 in there. The bull is much better than the flaming horse, and the name has grown on me. I look forward to seeing FC on the field for the first time.

CD Chivas USA: Not bad. Vergara can get away with it because it's named after his storied soccer club. The only major complaint I have about the club is the logo. Couldn't they think of something more original than CD Guadalajara's badge? Other than that, it passes.

Real Salt Lake: I'll admit right away that when this first came up, I wondered what American soccer was coming to. Eventually, I came to my senses with it and in hindsight, it looks very good. I still think the shield is a little too much of a copy cat to Europe, but I like it a lot better.

So what do you like best?

2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    FC Dallas: Like the Crest. Jury's still out until they get their new kits. I hear they want hoops. Potential is there.

Chivas USA: I may be in the minority, but I embraced the Chivas idea from the start; so I don't mind their look since its almost identical from the Mexican club. I'm wondering how different the jerseys will look with addidas making them instead of Reebok? I dig the name since it diversifies the team names a bit.

Real Salt Lake: Name has grown on me. I think the crest and unis are classy. I just wish they went with one of the unused colors like orange, green, or purple.

3. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    the funny thing is, there are billboards in LA for reebok with chivas players on them. and its promoting both chivas and reebok by stating that reebok is the outfitter for chivas.

4. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas: I like the badge (I like badges for soccer anyways) and hope they do something cool with the uni's... Rather than hoops though, I'd prefer half red- half blue, ala Blackburn.

Chivas: I never expected them to do anything other than be a copy of their mother club.

RSL: Someone earlier stated that the badge for them seemed too "European". Well I would think so, if you are going to take a name that is so Euro-centric, you better make your badge that way too!

The other change I am hoping to see, like many others probably, is the MLS going away from "home" & "away" to "1st choice" & "2nd choice" kits, and the general elimination of the all whites.

Lee

5. thedeuce_2

thedeuce_2 New Member

May 22, 2002
    Virginia
    Like FC Dallas; team needed a change and this is a good one.

Totally opposed to the idea of Chivas USA so I won't comment further

and Finally, Unless there is a connection with a Spanish club, the name Real Salt Lake makes MLS and America for that matter look stupid, but the look is very nice, good color combo

6. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Dallas really did need a change, and the logo and the colrs are good.

I bet Chivas jersey, will look like FCD.

Real Salt Lake will have a cool jersey, but they're gonna suck in they're first year. Maybe they will win in '06 or something.

7. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta say RSL wins my vote. Classic color scheme and brings more of a traditional feel to the league. FC Dallas, only in Texas would they put a cow on their logo, they've stooped to the level of Columbus.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Regarding names and designs...

RSL: sucks

Chivas: sucks

FC Dallas: totally sucks

Well, that taxed my brain. Other questions?

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sayeth the MetroStars fan :p :rolleyes:

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Are you telling me that ain't worth some rep? Man.

11. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All look classy, and thats what MLS needed after years of lightning-bolt horsies and stenciled-out scorpions. I'm gonna say RSL has the best look and it kills me because I still think it's a stupid, pretentious, eurosnobbish way to latch onto another team's success. I would say FC Dallas, but I can't bring myself to that either. For me the Jury is still out on Chivas, so I'm gonna say RSL had the best look, although I'd like to see some kits that aren't on cardboard placards before I make a final decision.

12. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the threads said get rid of the all whites.. Couldn't agree more. Home team picks what jersey they want to wear and the visiting team then picks one of their 2 jerseys. This way each teams gets a choice, its just that the home team goes first. Other thoughts.. Baseball used to have it right, home whites, road grey. .NCAA football is awful with road white- many schools have classic colors and NCAA throws them out the window..
    --
    I would really prefer teams pick and stay with a jersey to start creating some tradition. I realize its all about selling jerseys, but I really feel it is best to keep selling the same ones over and over, they are the advertising for the team. Everytime you change, you start over and over reselling the image. As much as I dislike DC United, kudos for keeping the same jersey.

13. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    If Dallas goes with the hoops it gets my vote.

I do not mind Chivas USA ownership or the team ties with the Mexican club. I am not happy (like my happines matters) about the name and the groundsharing. There is some precident for naming clubs after well established clubs. In South America there are teams named Corinthians (Brazil), Arsenal (Argentina), Everton (Chile) and Liverpool (Uruaguay). The uniforms are fine.

RSL, again not happy about the name. The look is good.

I like all white if that is traditionally the 1st choice such as Leeds or Real Madrid. I love the idea of 1st and 2nd choice kit.

Robert