New law in N.Y. requires anchored soccer goals

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by terps, Nov 27, 2014.

1. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Goals falling on players, and kids falling off goals because they are hanging on them has been a problem forever.

Sometimes coaches before & after games don't watch their players close enough right after the game is over. Also their parents don't watch their kids close enough after and before the game starts is Cuomo going to go after the parents financially as well? No their voters.

There are light goals called quick goals I own a set of those you put them together every game. A strong wind could blow them over if they are not anchored it could tip over even if they are especially if kids are hanging on them. The metal that fastens them to the grown and the goals are aluminum. The fasteners break easy especially if you use a hammer instead of a rubber mallet to put them into the ground. The mallets tend to disappear so they use hammers. The fasteners also tend to disappear and they break. Force them to buy the bigger heavier goals goodbye rec leagues. No place to store all the goals needed and too expensive for rec leagues to buy.

Then you have the heavier goals that are on wheels. They are used all over the world. Can they be bolted to the ground no. Can they fall yes.

Did you vote for the bozo? Did he really create a half million jobs? He said the day before the debate he created 400 thousand? How many jobs did NY lose in the four years he has been in office more then a half million real jobs left NY. They had a big money surplus because of laws suits NY won. Now he is trying to find ways to piss that away. That is how NY makes money law suits.

The only thing good about Cuomo is his girl friend I dig her.

You start suing youth soccer leagues you will put them out of business fast Same thing is true with youth american foot ball teams and youth baseball teams.

Sometimes kids get injured and even die playing sports. You can not prevent that by legislation. Thank God the rate of kids harmed is very very low. Kids getting hurt in car accidents drived by their own parents is much higher. Let the government sue the parents.

3. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    don't see the big deal... refs always check to make sure the goals are anchored or weighed down before a game

no reason to not do the same for practices and the like

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't like this law. Turf fields have one rule, grass fields another.

As a coach, we move goals all the time in practice (on wheels) and sandbag them when I move them. Now, having to anchor them (as opposed to sandbagging) is stupid.

Add to that, is it only 8x24? or 7x21 or 6.5X18's etc? You wheel the smaller ones on and off the field depending on the game. Do passive goals need to be anchored? if so, to where.

BirdsonFire and nicklaino repped this.
  5. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like the coervers... easily moved, same purpose... automatically staked in the ground... although a strong wind can still upend them

and as a coach & player, i've had severe issues with crappy goals flipping over for a very long time... it's kinda silly that it is taking politics to force people to do the right thing

6. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's usually how it works.

It's a no-brainer that goals should be weighed down with something. There's NO good reason not to do it. I don't see why turf and grass fields are treated differently. The goals used are the same. If sandbags are adequate on turf, why not on grass?

7. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    After having lobbied many school principles , our two ref organizations, the superintendent's association with ancillary evidence (Links to accidents) to support mandatory sandbagging it's hard not to agree with the spirit and intention of this legislation. Likely I've commented on a thread in reference to this here as one state already had a bag rule in effect or game forfiture. . This provision specifically requiring staking though well intended should be made to read "....or sufficient weights of sand bags to be in place" Its hard to find agricultural plastic bags to put sand in. I've seen tool bags with handles that looked good. Saving one player is worth it.