New Kansas City Stadium?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Wizardman03, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Wizardman03

Wizardman03 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody have any new info on a new stadium in Kansas City for the Wizards. They talked about one a couple of years ago, but havent done anything since. For this team to survive they need to get them out to the suburbs of Johnson County and get into a soccer specific stadium. If anyone has any news on the stadium issue, post it please.

2. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    The team is "surviving" quite well right now. We're one of two franchises in MLS close to making a profit.

3. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is going to happen until Dallas gets there new place up and running.

4. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    That is nearly an exact quote on my first post on Bigsoccer. If you know what's good for you, turn and run and never look back. If you decide to stick around, though, welcome.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team is surviving fine right now in Arrowhead, and the team doesn't have much of a choice right now. First because the bi-state that would have helped fund the stadium failed. The second and probably more important one right now is the fact that with Hunt owning both teams playing in Arrowhead, it's probably likely that we pay a low rent on the stadium.

6. Wizardman03

Wizardman03 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only problem with playing in arrowhead is the boundry lines of both sports make it so confusing. Plus by the start of football season the field looks horrible. I think that it would be a better fit for the wizards to have there own stadium that way they have there own field, practicee facility and offices. But Im in no hurry to rush it, i want the wizards and mls to get its roots deeper into america's passion for the game before spending money.

7. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Trust in Lamar.

He's a soccer nut. He hates the lines.

Trust in Lamar.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Comparing the KC v. Colorado game to the other three games last weekend involving MLS teams on grid iron fields, it looked like they did a much better job in New England, Chicago and San Jose of covering up the football field markings. The KC field was just ugly, especially with the wide swaths of white where the football sidelines are. If they can clear off the field markings at the other fields, they can do it in KC, right? If Lamar doesn't like the field being chopped up with contrasting lines it doesn't look like he's told that to his groundskeepers.

9. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Don't know about SJ, but Patriots and Bears did not have home games last weekend. The Chiefs did, about 14 hours after the Wizards game.

10. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Welcome Wizardman03!

I was surprised by this as well. IIRC in the past if there was a Wizards game on Saturday and Chiefs game on Sunday they would wait and paint the field overnight after the Wizards games. They had a two week lay off, so the paint could have virtually been gone, but I'm sure there was a reason for the paint being on the field Sat. night.
    Overall though, I don't see the big complaint. Watch the game not the lines of the field. Hell, they even come in handy sometimes when deciding if a guy was really offsides. As for confusing....well, if you're confused by a few lines on the field maybe you should concentrate harder. :)
    The Wizards aren't moving, and I like that. Arrowhead is a nice facility. Sure, 65,000 empty seats might "look bad", but who freakin' cares? A SSS would be ideal, but I don't think we've got a bad thing going at Arrowhead. Especially considering we've got free reign in tailgating and the cost to the team is very small making us near profitable.

11. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, a brand spanking new SSS would be nice but if staying at the 'Head for the forseable future means profitability for the Wizards, I'm all for staying.

If we can keep increasing attendance the way we have for the last 5 years it won't seem so empty. That's the key for the entire MLS. More fannies in the seats. All the other good things will follow.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Strange thing about those lines is that I find them more confusing on tv than I do live at the game.

But I wonder about the players, when Colorado's Zizi Roberts was chasing a ball down near the Cauldron he looked like he gave up on the ball. I am sure it was because the ball was crossing one of the Chiefs white lines and not one of the Wizards yellow lines.

You have to wonder how often that happens to the players, who look and see a line and get confused.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The white football lines can get confusing for players. I played a game this year on a turf feild that also doubled as the schools football field, and on one particular play our goalie stepped outside the box with the ball in hand because he forgot which line. He wasn't called for it cause the refs didn't see it, but it still can get hard for players.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've never heard a professional MLS player complain about getting "confused".

As far as giving up on the ball, players quit running for a variety of reasons. Coincidence and observation are not necessarily cause and effect.

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I agree...
    A professional should walk the field before the game and see where those problems might exist. There should be no confusion for a pro, especially when 70% of the league's fields have the possibility of having football lines on them starting in late August.

16. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I remember down in tulsa Preki trying to take thrown in from the wrong lines.

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the ball, and thought that it was going too fast for him to catch. As a referee and a player I like the lines because the help with offside considerations. Esthetically, they don't cut it. I thought it was great that the Wiz played on Saturday - 14 hours before the Chiefs, instead of on Tuesday like the Crapids.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah. And boy was that stadium crew busting their ass even before the players left the stadium. By the time I left the press box one of the two goalposts was already up.

19. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was because the lines were both white. That was hysterical.... :)

20. Wizardman03

Wizardman03 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, everything for the wizards is looking up. They have a great team that is young and with a few old guys that are wise that can teach them. The only thing they need to focus on is replacing preki in the future and keeping wolff healthy. poor kid could be one of the best american players but has always been hurt. Well im gonna try to watch the game on sat vs the quakes but well see how late i have to work.

21. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Haha... this reminded me of... what is it? 3 years ago when the talk was building a new K downtown and renovating the old K for soccer. It was actually being seriously considered, confused ats to how it would look, I decided to spend the time to make a 3d model of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I actually too the time to get it almost exactly to scale basing the stadium off of an actual picture and taking the dimensions of the field and putting down a FIFA sized soccer field.

While this idea is all but forgotten, and it is definately in the best interest of the Wizards to build a new soccer specific stadium, I hadn't look at these in years, but its kinda fun to reminisce about what could have been.

Or depending on your opinion, maybe not so fun. ;P

22. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course, that was a silly idea. the talk of a new baseball den downtown was to serve as a gateway to the revival of that area. what would be great is 10-or-so years down the road build a soccer stadium instead. kauffman should be the royals' home forever; it's too beautiful of a stadium not to be. but, by then, the wizards should have made more headway in our community's eyesight that a new stadium, in an ideal location, would be just what downtown needs to cap off it's revitalization. they could put it around where the old municipal stadium used to be, or even closer like around the paseo and i70. ahh yes, i share my dream with thee. now off to bed i go, for i fear i may already be sleeping.

23. KCSoccerSpot

KCSoccerSpot New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Harrisonville, MO
    I thinks ye may be a bit tipsy. Everyone knows that the future site of the SSS will be the Bannister Mall site. Centrally located even for us hicks from the sticks. Let's tear that sucker down, dig a hole and play some soccer.

24. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have fun getting into and out of it!

25. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still say the West Bottoms downtown would be one of several ideal areas.

Cheap property, Highways/Airports all about, Hotels/some restraunts close by, Downtown revitalized as is Kemper Arena maybe with legit shared parking areas. Close to some diverse ethnic neighborhoods with in bus/walking distance.

Cons: Crappy area (now) but with something of that magnitude coming in could turn it around quickly.

The building owners in that area can't arson down those structures fast enough as it is. What do you have there now: Gateway, Kemper, Weld Wheels, & Haunted houses. The rest is small offices and shipping docks & the Golden Ox. Most of which are empty and condemned when not in use(sp).