New iPod/New iTunes/Podcasting Portal

Discussion in 'Technology' started by IntheNet, Jun 28, 2005.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I just downloaded iTunes version 4.9. I really like the podcasting feature.

3. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    Today's iPod lineup, and you

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I already ordered my new colour Ipod from the apple store.
    lets hope it doesnt take too long to arrive.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So how does podcasting work? It time shifts/records radio for later listening? I guess I could do some research...

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    From looking at "Publish a Podcast" within iTunes 4.9, you first create an RSS feed that contains your broadcast (it looks just about any audio or video codec that iTunes can use or convert) then submit that URL to iTunes for consideration.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Basically, yeah.

It's essentially the same thing as getting an audio archive in that you get a big ol' mp3 file for a broadcast, but the key difference is that you subscribe to it so iTunes automatically looks for updates and then loads it onto your iPod.

8. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use the ipodder software http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php and have really enjoyed its features and easy use. Just cut and paste the xml link of the podcast you want and it automaticly checks for updates.

www.wfmu.org has some great shows available.

9. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

[​IMG]

10. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    I got my iPod Photo 30gb recently (now discontinued). I also got the AV cable so I can play music and photo slideshows on any TV. Useful for taking around to friends houses or showing photo's to family.

re:podcasting.

I'm not impressed. The technology is nothing new, Nullsoft (makers of Winamp) have had Shoutcast running for years. It's amateur radio, who wants that? It's like Blogs. Good if you know the person doing it or if you share a very specific interest but otherwise completely useless. And the few I have listened to sounded awful, using a $10 microphone doesn't make good listening.