new iPod (5th gen) review

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Dante, Oct 20, 2005.

1. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Um...just curious: How exactly does a software package that comes with Archos help the iPod user?

It says right on that page that you can download it right from there. I wasn't charged or even asked to sign up for anything.

Why bother? Most iPod users get theri stuff from iTunes. Many, many iPod users will only watch what iTunes offers them so they'll have no need for it. Plus, it encourages iPod users to buy things from iTunes if they don't know of ways of getting other forms of video, yet still allows those that do seek it, the opportunity they are looking for.

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An increase in the breadth of appeal, for one.

3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, we get it. You don't really like iPods.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He asked a question. He got my answer. Since when are we discouraged from weighing in on a given subject?

5. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Never said it does. I just had to Mention the MP4SP because if using this Podner is for "simplifying video conversion" then it wouldn't be fair to Archos who got bad rep from quite a few people for having a video conversion process that is "too complicated" when these two programs are almost the same.

I thought it was a shareware and not freeware. I could be mistaken though. There are no complaints from me if it's free.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is shareware, but for $10, it's pretty cheap shareware.

Splasm Podner

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That song sounds familiar -- was it written by The Trolls? :p

Slight OT question, but does Apple make any money off of I-tunes and does it stand to make money with video? I know they claim that they don't, but seems hard to believe given the volume.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    So does anyone know of a Windows package that has the same or similar capabilites as Podner?

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is it, 10 cents a download per audio track? I think I read video was a bit more, but I don't know the exact amount. I'd have to imagine they're making a little money off it, but that's tough to know without any idea of their deals with the artists and record labels they're working with.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically if you buy Quicktime 7 you'll get the same capabilities, for $20 more. Otherwise here are some scattered programs out there, but any freeware ones are complicated, and the shareware ones are more expensive than QT7. Give it a little time and I'd be willing to bet a Windows-friendly version of Podner (or something very similar) comes out.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, I have Quicktime Pro. I think the conversion aspects of that program pretty much suck.

12. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    As Chicago said, simpler programs that are free will appear with time and popularity of video ipods. For now, you can try this (how-to guide here). I don't think it's much easier to use than QTPro though. Then again I've never used either of them so I don't know what I'm talking about.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thank you!

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple sells a million videos in new service