new iPod (5th gen) review

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Dante, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was asked if I'd write up a review about my new iPod when it came in so I did. I posted it with a number of pics as well.

You can find my review of it here.

Here are a couple pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can find a lot more at the site above.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    very good review. Now I'm dying to get one.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Nice job. I can't wait to get mine.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys..

Mike, you'll love it although if you don't have USB 2 it'll take a little off its luster.

I was shocked at how fast it arrived, I checked the tracking number Monday morning and it said it was in Shanghai, China. Checked Tuesday and it was already in Indy, then it was delivered yesterday. Not bad for free shipping. Now I'm just waiting on the Universal Dock and the remote.

5. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    You should move the column on the right on your web site up to the top of the page so it's just to the right of all your articles. That way, when you say click on suchs and such on the right, there's actually things on the right to click on instead of having to scroll to the bottom of the page to look for links.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, I have USB 2.0.

Mine is supposed to ship "on or before 10/27/05" according to the status web page.

7. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I'm not sure what mine is. I have a PB that I just bought last year. I'll have to check the specs when I get home.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    If you bought a PowerBook last year, I'd be shocked if it doesn't have USB 2.0.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that was weird... It looks fine in Firefox for PC and Mac and Safari for the Mac, but for some reason it was showing up weird in IE for the PC, I know that is used to look fine in IE.

I'm working on a fix now, thanks for pointing it out. I never use IE so I didn't see it.

10. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    What's weird is that when I do click the link to the actual review, the format is correct on the review page.

(I hope you didn't think I was being a dick. I was just giving a suggestion. :) )

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your review convinced me to head over to the Apple Store at lunchtime to check it out. Amazing picture quality, I don't know how they did it. Looks more like I'll pick one up by the end of the year.

12. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Yeah, I have to go over to the store now cause my scroll wheel is busted so my whole iPod is down.

I'll look at them when I get there.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Do they have them in stock in the stores now???

If so, I'm going to head over right now and buy one!

14. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I heard stores won't have them until this weekend, or mid week next week at the latest. I'm getting a 60gb black.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of stores already have them in stock, I know the all the stores in NY had them.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I noticed that too, so far I'm not having any luck. I should get it fixed though... hopefully.

Not at all, thanks for pointing it out. I wouldn't have known had you not pointed it out.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just got back from the Bethesda store. SCORE!

I wanted a black one, but they only had the 60 GB in white, so that's what I bought.

18. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I just went to my iPod store. I love that store. You tell them what's wrong with the iPod and they give you a new one. God bless America.

Anyway, they only had one video iPod on display, but had tons of advertising for it, which led me to believe that they probably don't have them in stock yet. I didn't ask, though.

19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    NYTimes reviewed it today too.

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The Washington Post has a review of the new iPod up on their site.

I completely agree with this paragraph

I've got a bunch of MOV files I downloaded from the Beastie Boys site, and I wanted to copy them to my iPod. I had to buy Quicktime Pro, and convert the files from the .MOV format (which is an Apple format) to the new iPod video format. Not a big deal really, except for the fact that it takes at least 10 minutes per clip to convert them.

21. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the main thing putting me off right now. Imagine if when the original iPod came out, they made it so that all your mp3s had to be converted to aac or something. The fact that they're not including more video codecs on the iPod is a big deal.

22. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering most, if not all of their competition does, it definetly is a big deal. But just like the iPod is not compatible with other systems, it will have more codecs available in the near future.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    iPod accessories kaput--but at least there's video

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a video ipod, but I stumbled on a shareware program that claims to simplify converting video for the ipod.
    Podner.

25. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    I never used the program but it doesn't look much simpler (slightly prettier maybe) than the MP4SP (conversion software that comes with older gen. Archos players). I hope ipod users are not paying for that. Something like that should already be coming with the video ipods.