New (?) idea for MLS Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jri, Oct 24, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The playoffs- attendence and interest- are a joke. Here's one suggestion to improve things (its not perfect, but better I think).

The best record during regular season (regardless of division) gets to host MLS Cup. That guarantees a decent (30k and up likely) or great or sellout.
    1 month before end of season, MLS allows the top 2-3 teams to start promoting, selling tickets for a MLS Cup in their home stadium. Obviously, that would mean the 2 teams that DON'T get the best record would have wasted efforts (but that's the cost to MLS for this plan).

This way, the best record team would have at least 2 months before the actual Cup to sell tickets- which should be enough time . Also, it should be enough organization time. Tight, but enough time.

The playoffs become knock-out (single game elimination), and you pick the best 8 remaining teams.

The MLS best record team would get the advantage (as they should) of hosting the Cup, resting their regulars, and could schedule exhibitions for the 3 weeks preceeding the Cup w/MLS teams that have ended their season.

I think this proposal would yield more interest, best overall attendence (per game average) and a more exciting MLS Cup.

Again, its not perfect, but an improvement, I think.

2. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Metrostar fan, I will say that I hope that Giants Stadium isn't even on the minds of those planning MLS cup locations. It would suck.

Columbus, LA, or DC.....at least the atmosphere wouldn't completely suck. Giants stadium is huge and the hugeness of it swallows atmosphere(MLS atmosphere anyway....) and until we get an SSS, I'm more than happy to concede the cup final to one of those three stadiums....

or any SSS for that matter.....

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Three weeks off is not an advantage.

4. metro_striker

metro_striker New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    The MLS Cup just needs better exposure in the media and the general public.
    Considering that they are hosting the MLS Cup, ABC/ESPN do a horrible job promoting the MLS Cup year after year. You'll almost never see any commercial on the stations promoting the playoffs or the finals itself. Once they start cooperating with the MLS... maybe then we'll get bigger interest in the finals.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    ABC/ESPN have no vested interest in MLS Cup. MLS Cup is a time buy. You don't see ABC/ESPN hyping the National Junior High School Cheerleading Championships either.

There is no "quick fix." It's all going to take time - as in 10, 20, or more years. It may not seem like it, but MLS has come a long way in just nine seasons.

I know that "give it time" is not the answer that most folks want to hear.

6. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my proposal.

In the first round, you would play a two-leg aggregate-goal series or a one-off (matter of taste, really). W1 would play E4, W2 would play E3, E1 would host W4, and E2 would host W3.

If two teams from each division win, the top team in the west hosts the lowest in the east. And vice versa.

If four teams from one division win (a huge stretch), the #1 hosts #4, and #2 hosts #3.

If three teams from one division win, the lone team remaining in the one division hosts the #2 from the other division. Then #3 plays at #1.

Then, the two remaining teams play in the MLS Cup.

This allows the league's best teams to make the MLS Cup, even if they play in the same conference. And it also gives the playoffs more intrigue as there's mostly inter-conference matchups. As nice as Crew-Revs and DCU-Metros are, they're rivalries that have been played enough so far, and if they are destined to meet in the playoffs, let's see it in a major matchup, such as the semifinals or even the MLS Cup.

Sykotyk

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Andy, it is an advantage because:

(1) You are GUARANTEED a place in the final. If you gave that choice to KC or Colombus before the playoffs started, you think they would have taken it (vs. having to win 2 series to get there)? I guarantee you they would

(2) You get a home game. In most other set-ups, you are playing on the road.

Again, I think ANY team would gladly take the risk of getting rusty during the 3-4 weeks off, vs. an automatic qualification AND home field advantage.

(3) You get a chance to rest regulars, get injured players fit, etc. If need be, the playoffs could be skewed so that the opponent has to play 3-4 days before the final (thus, making them tired going into the game- vs. a fresh team).

Its not perfect, but better (I think) and the current system is just not working...

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, I think - nothing personal - it's an awful, horrible idea.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs had 5,000+. Not bad considering it was Game 1 of the World Series.

10. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Amen. MLS obviously has some idea what they are doing and a decent business plan or else no company would want any part of them, relatively inexpensive price or not.

11. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    How do you know there were 5,000 people there? Eitherway, it's suprising that we are getting to the point now where people can say 5,000 fans isnt bad.

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point, it was 5000+ ticket sold. I never said it was a good thing, espeically across the league. But considering the events that happened in the past weekend in New England (Red Sox World Series Games 1 & 2 [With Game 1 directly interfering with the Revs game 1], Pats vs Jets, B.C. v.s. Notre Dame, Head of the Charles) a lot of people are suprised that 5000+ people showed up. Now if nothing was going on this weekend and 5000+ people showed up, it would be a different story. People have priorities and loyalties, and for many of them, the Revs aren't #1, the Sox are.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    C'mon Andy, you should know better than trying to interject a dose of reality in a thread that is all about speculation. ;)

14. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    here's my proposal.

top 3 teams in each division makes the playoff. winner of conference gets bye. #2 vs #3 in each conference either one game or two games. #1 seed gets to host the conference final (two weeks to promote the games) through a 1 game serie. If u go single table, top 6 gets to make the playoff while the top 2 teams get byes.