New Gig for Dir

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Pegasus, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave Dir has been selected as the first assistant coach for the USA's U-20 national soccer team.

2. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Dave.

but does this make the U-20 staff the BIGGEST staff in the history of soccer?

3. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    Congratulations to Dave Dir!

4. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats!!
    How may this affect his select club he recently started?

5. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, every ego driven kid... well scratch that ... make it every ego driven parent will be targeting ASG so that thier kid can become the next big discovery. I cannot speak about the club 1st hand, however they have a young talent developer that is becoming legendary in a short time. Some Brazilian guy they call Coach Z.

The local club thing has always been more about perception over substance. And consequently when a concentration of athletes seek out what they perceive, it becomes reality. Development is such a long term process, and so hard to measure. I would like to know what you guys know about Dir as a youth developer. Is he really hands on developing, or is he simply a marketing vehicle for a group of investors? I'm not implying anything, I am simply asking.

As for how the hell a guy like wRongen got a gig over Dir in MLS baffles me. How many coaches have the resume in American soccer as does Big Dave? I enjoy his TV work greatly. He is the MLS version of John Madden, (physical attributes aside.) While yes "congrats", I think he deserves better.

6. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    I hope the new job doesn't keep him from broadcasting FC Dallas games. Dave Dir and Bob Sturm are my favorite broadcasting combination. No offense to Brad Sham who is also wonderful.

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I agree on this one. Not sure why he can't get a job.

8. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Because the people that hired him were "Mexicanos", and they always have had a mancrush of sorts with Dutch Futbol.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Big Dave have a second tour of duty in Dallas. The skills he has acquired as part of the media would make him an invaluable asset in the marketing aspect of the team. Not to mention that the team would be guaranteed to win a great majority of its home games.

9. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    rimshot

10. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Who picks up the tab for dinner between Big Dave and Sigi "The Hut."

11. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    SPOT ON !!

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is sort of do these coaches develop the players or by reputation do the best players seek them out and then they add to the talent already there. No way to answer really. A scientist could set up 4 groups and follow them for 10 years and ......

ASG is set up very good administratively. Your kid goes out there and you get emails from the coach and big Dave talking him up. The website is top notch as is the philosophy set forth on it. They have not been around long enough to judge but intriguingly they are set up as a national club. They will try and have age group all stars tour Europe. Sort of their own ODP or Bradenton if they pull it off.

Your Rongren connection is he was involved as an advisor in ASG. Maybe more involved than that.

13. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    theodore,

I've never seen Z in action but, I too have heard he is awesome. He does have a '95 boys team that is supposed to be killer.

As for Dir, I was actually just talking to a guy last night whose kid plays for ASG. He told me Dir actually runs 1 to 2 practices a month for that team. I am assuming he does the same for each team within the club.

I really think this club is going to be a top notch club in a short period of time. Most of the coaches Dir brings in are quality coaches with loads of playing experience. Z, Oscar Pareja, Oscar Pisano, Carlos Salguero, and Scott Garlick to name a few. Dir does have a lot of irons in the fire but with the coaches he's got, I think he's covered.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked Dave Dir. I miss the old "Extratime" show. His broadcast skills weren't the most polished then, but his 'coaches viewpoint' tactical breakdown was the highlight of the show for me.

15. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already know the first question being asked by the opposition players, "What the hell are Pizza the Hut(Sigi) and Barf(Dir) doing as the coaches?"

16. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don't insult Dave like that.
    MNF is barely watchable with that clown in the booth.
    Worst national commentator in all major US sports.

17. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Madden is the best commentator in all of sports television.

but opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

18. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    and no one needs another one. :p

19. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Carefull how you word that. Have you seen 3rd's "opinion" lately? If not another one, he may consider at least retooling his 'cause the guy on the bowflex commercial he ain't!

What you should have said is no one needs "more than one."

20. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like John Madden.

I also like Dave Dir. I wonder if he will be able to keep up his TV gig as well as his coaching duties. Rongen was able to do both.

21. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow is that a shot at how big my ass is?
    :eek:
    jeeze.

22. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough crowd I guess.

We're all marathon runners around here.

23. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Sorry buzz, I couldn't resist. In all fairness, I am proud to say I have absolutely no idea how big your arse is. Don't worry though, I'm not quite as svelt as I used to be either!

24. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    oh i thought he was making a comment on the size of the hole...

and that worried me a bit.

25. Wacko4Burn

Wacko4Burn New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Waco, TX
    LMAO!
    Don't exacly know why... but that's funny.

Best of luck to Dir.

Who are the starting 11 U-20 players right now?