New Frisco stadium photos

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ElJefe, Sep 21, 2003.

1. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    Any info on the pitch of the stands?
    In the picture it looks a little flat.
    Will it at least be comparable to the Cotton Bowl?

2. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lookin' good Dallas fans. Y'all deserve it after the hell you went through this year (and next :()

Red seats look nice.

3. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    yeah it definately looks great. i don't mean to criticise it at all. any and every SSS is of the utmost importance. It's too bad they couldn't have gotten a more encompasing roof as I imagine it gets pretty damned hot in dallas but i imagine things like that do raise the cost signifigantly.

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe the added cost of the roof for the Galaxy's stadium was 8 million. Of course the cost would vary depending on the design of the Dallas stadium and type of roof.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Looks very nice. I hope the actual stadium will get very close to these "best case" renderings. It's too bad I probably won't be around anymore in 2005 (as I graduate next spring). I guess I will just have to settle for our new state-of-the-art "pentagon" stadium in Zurich... :)

[​IMG]
    Thread on the Zurich stadium: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=71269

6. CharlesS

CharlesS Member

Apr 2, 2002
    Cambridge, MA

Actually, I was talking to a friend of mine who went to Carroll recently and he explained that the reason Dragon Stadium has turf is that grass field tend to flood; in fact he told me that often other high schools reschedule games due to flooding etc.

I'm not from the area, but thought I'd ask: is this a legitimate concern and if so, how will the new stadium be different?

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it, the decision to go with grass has less to do with flooding or terrain or anything like that, and more to do with feedback from players about how hard the field is and how hot it gets during games in the summertime.

As for whether it's flooding is a legitimate concern in Frisco, I don't know. I do know that the stadium is being built into the ground with the field below ground. And of course, I don't know what sort of drainage they're building into the field.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Does anybody know if there's going to be individual seating in the whole stadium? That would make it better than the HDC (seating-wise)...

9. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Those stadium renderings are excellent. It will be interesting how close the pictures will be to the final product. Considering the area’s history, the idea of naming the hill behind one of the goals, “The Grassy Knoll” is absolutely fantastic. That area could become a mystical place where all sorts of shenanigans could take place against opposing players by unknown and unnamed supporters. Red seats would also be a welcome addition. Since Frisco will probably be awarded a few national team qualifiers, it will be nice to have a background color that Sam’s Army wears. From my perspective, this facility is far from perfect. A roof surrounding the stadium would really amplify the sound. Also, knowing the grass will be marked and torn up every fall is a downer. However, we truly are blessed to have a city, county, school district and an ownership group to make this a reality. Finally, from a financial point of view, this stadium is exactly what MLS needs to be profitable.

10. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those pictures are absolutely beautiful.

I guess this makes the 2 year sentence at the Lizard bearable.

11. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I too am worried about the stands pitch. It looks more flat than the CB, and I hope they take into consideration the proper pitch for optimal roof positioning. It makes a difference relative to shadowing and weather. But even more important is the possibility of upper section addition on the opposite side. If the pitch is done right, an upper deck can be fantastic seating for the first several rows.

I'm still hopeful.

12. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    The reason the local High Schools use turf is the fields are used almost every week night for multiple games. Grass just won't hold up to the use and abuse.

With properly designed sprinkler and drainage, flooding won't be a problem.

13. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I want only one thing out of the new stadium. A beautiful grass field. I don't really care about the angle of the stands or restaurants or grassy knolls or roofs or any of that fluff. Give me a pristine grass field and keep the damn football lines off it, and let me watch the game. I am a beggar and not a chooser, so if I can get that I will be happy enough to pee myself.

<troll>I don't even care if they sell beer.</troll>

14. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    With regards to possible future expansion that is one of the main reasons behind sinking the stadium. The East side could fairly easily be made to match the West side. Also a nice benefit of this would be that the field is always in view when entering the stadium, going to the bathroom or getting concessions. Nice touch that.

Last info I got was that the rise on each row would be ~ 1 foot and the main stands will be 28 rows deep. Don't know how deep each row will be.

15. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You might as well just forget about a field without football lines. That's not going to happen.

My biggest concern is how the field will hold up under heavy use. There will be a HS football game there EVERY friday night during school season (remember there are two Frisco HS's using it), and possibly several other nights as well unless JV stuff is banished to the lesser fields. I shudder to think what might happen to the turf every time there is a heavy rain before the friday night game.

Remember MLS Cup 2000 in Foxboro after the Patriots game? That could be every game for us during football season unless some plans have been made to prevent it.

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only the HS varsity football teams will be using this stadium. The JV teams, the soccer teams, and the junior high games will be held at the smaller auxiliary stadium.
    That was MLS Cup '99 at the old Foxboro Stadium and there's a variety of reasons why the two situations aren't really comparable.

First, Foxboro Stadium was a place that was built around an Astroturf field and was only later retrofitted with a grass field. As such, things like good drainage and undersoil heating (which is important in New England) weren't present. Second, the game was held in late November, after the weather had already turned cold and the grass had gone dormant for the winter. Third, NFL players are generally a lot larger than HS players.

I think a better comparison would be MLS Cup 2002, which was held at Gillette Stadium. The field was in much better shape for that game.

17. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    i think really the biggest point is that you're forgetting that no matter who can play on the feild, it's basically the Burn and it's ownership who are going to be able to determine that. that's pretty huge.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some even better pictures fell off the back of a truck. I believe that these are a little bit older, since I was told at the Fan Appreciation Night that the scoreboard will be the round scoreboard that was shown in the renderings in my "spy photos."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    i know they're planning on also using it as a high school football feild, but it'd be really cool if they could put the fans right on top of the action. I love love love the HDC but wish that the stand's weren't quite so high above the feild. It'd be awesome if they did this in Frisco, really pack the fans right close to the action.

20. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm very glad to hear this. It's something I've been worried about since I first heard the multi-use idea. I don't insist on pristine, but plowed-up would be a big disappointment.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm a bit more optimistic because of what I'd seen at the Cotton Bowl every October. Yeah, the Prairie View-Grambling game one weekend and the Texas-OU game the next weekend did rough up the center of the field a little, but they didn't turn the place into a cow pasture.

But the Cotton Bowl has a pretty good grounds crew. Hopefully, Frisco will also have a good grounds crew. If they do, we won't have much of anything to worry about. If they don't, then we might.

22. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas doesn't tend to have much rain in the fall so that should help avoid problems with the field getting torn up.

Spring tends to be the rainy season around here, and at that time of the year, only the Burn (and the occasional soccer tournament?) will be using the stadium.

23. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i loved the stands/seats with the "dallas burn" written over it. That's so english..love it

24. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    You, lucky b.d.p.... You're going back to Zurich and we're going back to San Jose, Durango...

25. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Northside: you've been very considerate. To me it has been like "life in prison..."