New Forum Format feedback and discussion

Discussion in 'dark knight's forum' started by dark knight, Jan 12, 2017.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    #1 dark knight, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    So - the first question is the why - why are we making these changes. Per Andy - there are lots of reasons for the change. Some highlights are:
    • We are on an outdated and possibly insecure version of the forum software.
    • We are working on a left navigation slider that will help make navigation easier and work better on tablets.
    • The new skin enhances some of the posting functions.
    • We want a more professional skin so the site will be more respected within the soccer community.
    • We are adding the side column to all the pages but it will have quick links for members to access their posts and see threads they have posted to (being added).
    • We will also show trending posts so it's easier to surface hot discussions.
    The second is what kind of feedback are we looking for? Everything from colors to layout to old navigation habits that are missing or ways to make things easier. Maybe things from the old vBulletin version that are gone but you would like to see back.

Tifoso repped this.
  2. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Trying this again as the feedback site is hard to use and not sure everyone knows what we are looking for.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As stated on the Trello board, the post time format is crap.

--

It's impossible to evaluate the usability of the beta site since it's completely out of date and unusable for day-to-day posting.

If you want usable feedback, then figure out a way to make the beta usable first.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    And I'll note here too, as I just stated on the Trello board, I'm really losing my patience with this beta because so far it seems genuine feedback is not wanted.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - sorry - I couldn't follow that Trello board. I think we should just focus on stuff like colors and design or anything else that doesn't require daily use.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I just took a quick look. I could not found the Real Madrid forum that I frequently visited.... I could no find it.

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    My guess is it hasn't fully been populated so for now we are more commenting on design. But it appears it would be under "Spain"? But I'm not sure we necessarily want it structured that way. La Liga would make more sense to me.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    #9 Knave, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Copied from the Trello board -- which is miserable place to discuss this stuff because its format tries to force really short comments:

--

So, let's discuss the basic organization of the boards at this page:http://pilot.bigsoccer.com/forums/. It is completely miserable. The "Soccer Clubs" grouping is big giant mess with no principle of organization whatsoever. And it doesn't even include all the clubs. It should be very simple to locate the club forum you want: go to the confederation/regional category first, then drill down to the country/league, and so on. The Greeks invented this sort of categorical organization and it has served the western world very well ever since. It has also served BigSoccer well since its inception. Why we should abandon that strategy for the proposed heap is beyond me. I would make a similar argument about the "Soccer Leagues" grouping. This is not the way the soccer world is organized, and I have to wonder if the person who designed this system really understands how that world is organized. Yes, this is a terse comment, but this is also exactly why I was asked to help with this project.

--

Let's add on here: http://pilot.bigsoccer.com/categories/soccer-clubs.1649/ -- That is the most ridiculous "organization" I have ever seen. The current system, whatever its faults, is light years better than this jumble of disorganization. The entire organization concept (if it can even be called that), which is guiding this proposed beta should be scrapped immediately and replaced with something that at least makes a modicum of reasonable sense.

dark knight repped this.
  9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Thanks Knave - that's helpful and something we were just discussing. That's the kind of feedback I think is useful

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I could probably be more diplomatic about it, but then it'd take longer to type! ;)

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Knave be diplomatic? Hmmm

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    @dark knight -- Is the new board going to be the organizational catastrophe that I noted above?

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    No I don't think so. And if it is, I'm sure we will be able to feedback to improve it. The goal isn't to mess with organization considerably I don't think.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Good call.

Just the new, updated look will be change enough for most everyone.

And then the fine tuning begins!

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    yeah - I'm scared because without a live forum, it really makes it hard to know what it will be like - but can't go worse than some of our last updates! :)

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It is a low bar. :oops:

dark knight repped this.