New football/soccer stadium on Manhattan's West Side

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by riverplate, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not necessarily, mr. acorn. Houston's Reliant Stadium has grass and a retractable roof. Of course, field conditions at the US-Mexico friendly that the stadium hosted were not the best.

2. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A stadium with a retractable roof can have grass. Reliant in Houston, Bank One in Phoenix, Miller Park in Milwaukee, Safeco in Seattle.

- Paul

3. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: New football/soccer stadium on Manhattan's West Side

And of course, Cardiff, right?

I'm coming in late to this discussion, but DAMN!!

I don't think people realize the massive boost you get from having a stadium you can walk to. The Metrostars would be fools not to drop that stupid "NJ/NY" from their name (as well as the "Metro"), and try to get in on this, if it ever happens.

Or, of course, the NY Expansion team (EMPIRE FC, YO!!!)

4. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I think MLS and the USSF absolutely have to get involved in this. It would be close minded and shortsighted of anyone not to include or consider soccer as a co=primary tenant in this stadium. They could easily have as many soccer fans walking through the gates annually as helmetball fans. 20 or so MLS matches, toss in another dozen or so international and champions world type matches and you easily top the jets annual turnout. They shold build a soccer stadium and rent it out to the jets when there is no soccer, that would actually make sense.

I would like to see someone here in the US build a soccer/football stadium where a dual playing surface slides in and out of the ends of the stadium under the endzone seats. This would help preserve the soccer pitch keeping off the gridiron and the cattle that roam during an NFL game. plus if the stadium does have a roof then the playing surfaces could be kept outside for sun and rain and wind thats necessary for turfgrass to grow.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be expensive up front but is a great idea. They could even make it to where both fields could be moved out for when they have concerts, dirt bike races, conventions or even the dreaded tractor pulls and thus neither surface would be damaged. Or, if the Jets wanted artificial grass they could have it while for soccer the grass slides in instead.

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    where would the fields go? unless they were both artificial surfaces, how would they get the sunlight they need?

7. mr.acorn

mr.acorn New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I believe the Jets would go for the field turf because it's low maintanence and the bad memories they have with the grass at the Meadowlands. With the exception of Houston, all the other retractable roof stadiums in the world are for either baseball or soccer...both of which are not nearly as hard on grass surfaces as football.

As for sliding the playing surface outside when not in use, I believe the new stadium that's being built for the Cardinals in Arizona will have this system.

Problem is, that stadium is being built on the outskirts of Phoenix where there is plenty of vacant land.....Unlike Manhattan where real estate is at a premium.

8. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Slide it out over the Hudson River.

9. Bobaloo142

Bobaloo142 Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Football is only for blue-collar rednecks? That's really funny. The only reason the Man U game created such a buzz is because it was only a one time event. If Man U played there as much as MLS teams, they would attract the same number of people as MLS games. In case you didnt know, all jets games and giants games are sellouts.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    For whatever reason... a lot of New AMsterdamers love the NFL. In fact if it weren't for the huge success of baseball teams in this cities, the Giants and Jets would be the most popular teams in the city today.
    The Giants have a 30 year waiting list for season tickets
    The Jets have a 15 year waiting list for season tickets.

Sad, and unfortunate, but true.
    However soccer can and will succeed in this city, but a team would need to play in NYC proper. So many people that I know who would watch a MLS game on tv but will not make the trip out to Giants Stadium. IF they had a team they could take a train to in the city they would have went already.

11. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just curious

Any idea where the field is stored (when not in use) at the Gelredome in Arnhem?

12. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like loving arms reaching out to embrace Hoboken.

- Paul

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I seriously doubt that. I bet they could at least achieve Cosmos numbers from one of their better years.

14. Iancam03

Iancam03 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 8, 2003
    So CAL
    Wait until you guys see the UEFA Champions League final this year from Gelsenkirchen, Germany. This stadium is superior to any soccer stadium I have ever seen. It will also be a host in the 2006 World Cup. 192 Million Euro stadium with a retractable roof and a removable pitch. Electronic traffic control and parking system with an electronic chip card payment system in a city with a population of 278,000. The most modern in Europe. MLS needs to invest some money on a stadium like this in New York if it wants to see this sport become as large as it is in Europe. Take a risk!!!!! HDC is a good start, but New Jersey should create theirs with an overhang roof that protects fans from rain and other *#*#*#*#. Dallas' stadium looks generic to me, no flair or flash, just get the job done in a hurry. No more bleachers please. Only seats.

15. Iancam03

Iancam03 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 8, 2003
    So CAL
    Disagree, Man U play entertaining soccer and have far more fans in New York than the Metros do. Juve do as well. Either of those teams could play in New York and sell out every time. Why? Because they have players like Del Piero, Neved, Trezeguet, Van Nistlerooy, Forlan, Giggs, and Keano! US has nobody of that class.

16. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YET

Come on now, I agree that MLS is still a growing league and that the European players are awesome, but don't be a Eurosnob. Constantly reminding us that we are behind the rest of the world in soccer is fairly counterproductive...don't you think?

17. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

MetroAndAGuinessPlz New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    Soccer is not even in the same universe as football in the New York area as far as being a spectator sport. Two teams that sell out every single game they play. Giants season tickets are literally impossible to obtain - they have to be passed down through families.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I thought snorting Coke had gone out of style in New York, but thankfully you people have helped me and my Colombian friends realize that the market is still alive and robust. An MLS financed stadium IN Manhattan when only 15,000 truly support the Metros. If the Metros averaged 20,000 then that would make perfect sense. The stadium would have to hold 35,000+ and be expandable to make sense to the city and AEG. Why build a stadium that will be half empty. The best way to be able to use the stadium the Jets are planning on building is to pay 100 million dollars towards its construction in return for a free 99-year lease. Do this by convincing the city that because soccer is the world's game and is part of the Olympics having a soccer tenant will add legitimacy to a NFL stadium. A stand-alone soccer stadium in Manhattan will not happen before Harrison unless the Metros ride the Olympics coattails or some multi-billionaire takes them over. The most important thing for the Metros is profitability so whatever scenario is most profitable, currently this is Harrison, is most likely.

People that can support MLS but don't can suck it. If I lived in New York City and I had the money for season tickets I would pay for them even if I could only get to two Metro games, when they play the Fire of course. Everyone else is deadweight holding down MLS and American soccer. I hate the *#*#*#*#ing Metros but I would support the American players on the team; because by supporting the team financially you are supporting the players thus bettering professional American soccer as a whole and in turn the Nats. And if any selfish little bitch doesn't want to go to games because Beckham, and Del Piero aren't on the pitch then they sure as *#*#*#*# better be foreigners because by staying home your a$$ is guarantying that they and their counterparts won't be their on a regular basis anytime soon. Basically if you can support MLS and you like soccer and you were born in America but you selfishly choose not to you can die, you can die and go to hell. Because people like you are the reason why MLS and the National team aren't the best in the world. Usually I'm against committing suicide because I believe it's a copout, but for all who have committed treason against the United States of America I'm willing to forgive this act of atonement as long as you bequeath all your worldly possessions to either MLS or the USSF. Thank you and God bless, see you in Germany in 2006.

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The constant reminder that "we are behind the rest of the world in soccer" is second only to the constant reminder that the U.S. will somehow win the World Cup in 2010. If I never read the latter statement again on these boards, it'll be too soon.

And contrary to popular belief, I am not a Eurosnob. So don't throw that in my face.

20. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    in the words of a great American (me)....GIVE ME HARRISON OR GIVE ME DEATH !!!

21. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ladies and gentlemen, may I present you with ignorance at its finest....
    This post is moronic on so many levels. NYC people will support high level soccer, just like most large cities in the US, but american football is not going away, especially in NYC. I doubt soccer would outdraw head to head. Everyone already mentioned the season ticket lists and that the tour was a "one time" event (although supposedly coming back next year). Last I checked, many of the congressmen and the such, including presidents, catch some football games when they have a chance. They must be "bluecollar rednecks"?!? how ridiculous.

22. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been all for this idea for a while now. I do also feel the need to point out a few contributing factors as to why this deal will get done

Payroll taxes:
    the payroll of the NY jets is what 80,000,000 or so.
    according to my completely rough estimate, that becomes 2.9 million in state taxes for an employee claiming 6 deductions. this is 3 million bucks that NYS does not get right now.
    NYC tax: I am not sure what the NYX tax tate is, but I am sure that it is pretty signifigant with 80,000,000 in payroll.

Property tax:
    Currently the land in question is owned by the city and the MTA.
    this is not on the tax rolls. MTA can lease the land to the teams, or sell it to them, but there will be taxes collected on this property.

surrounding development. The expansion of Javits
    Local stores attempting to capitolize on Jets merchandise and such as appear around Yankee stadium.
    Possible Hotels
    Local Bars

Construction. obvious job creation

Super bowl income.
    Olympic income
    International games income
    National team game
    these last four I do not mean as a profit for the owners, but that whomever runs these events they will happen in the city of NY and the state of NY, not NJ. so there will be a grat deal of sales tax that goes to the city and state. if a company operates in NY it pays taxes to NY and a professional Football team is a huge company
    easily 150,000,000 in revenues
    the Olympics create millions in sales and hotel rentals.
    the Superbowl is massive business for the city, and stadium owner

If I had 100, mill i would somehow get involved and get a soccer team in there.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The New York Jets football team recently announced plans to build a brand new
    stadium over the west side railyard with a tentative opening date in 2008. The plans call
    for a $1 billion stadium with another $2 billion needed for infrastructure upgrades and
    transportation improvements. While the Jets say they would foot most of the bill for the
    stadium through loans from banks and the NFL, the city would be forced to pick up the
    rest of the tab, and this can mean only one thing folks, higher taxes.

It wasn’t long ago that Mayor Bloomberg rejected plans for a new stadium for the
    Mets and Yankees citing extreme budget problems for the city. So why the sudden turn
    around? Because this stadium would also serve as the backdrop to New York City’’s 2012
    summer Olympic bid, which ironically is being spear headed by the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development and Rebuilding for the City of New York, Dr. Daniel Doctoroff. Bringing the Olympics to New York City has been Doctoroff’s pet project for the past 10 years, so it is no coincidence as to why the Bloomberg Administration has been so supportive of the new Jets
    stadium.

However let’s not jump ahead of ourselves here. It is no sure bet that the IOC will
    award New York the 2012 games, as cities such as Paris and London have well stocked
    bids as well. So what we are essentially left with is a $2 billion stadium built for a
    football team that only plays a total of 10 home games including their pre-season.

Are the costs proportional to the benefits? Well that would be determined if the
    stadium was used more than 10 times a year. One such answer could come in the form of
    professional soccer. If New York City were to be awarded an expansion Major League
    Soccer team, the stadium could be guaranteed a minimum of 20 home games, not to
    mention any exhibition or international games which the stadium could host.

The Jets have said in the past that they would not want to share a new stadium
    with any other team or sport outside of the Olympics. But if the Jets really want their
    stadium built, it would be wise for them to embrace soccer as part of their plans.

24. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much rent would an MLS team pay?

- Paul

25. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Are you saying Doctoroff has somehow been nefarious in the way he's conducted himself concerning this matter? He's been quite up-front anytime I've seen him interviewed about the Olympics.

Here is today's article from the New York Times (Saturday, November 29).

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/29/nyregion/29JETS.html