NEW: Football boots design/development blog

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by rkuchinsky, Jul 4, 2005.

1. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    fellow footballers,

I'm the Product Manager, Footwear Dept. for hummel International and I've just set up a new personal blog about the design and development of football boots.

I've always had lots of players and friends ask me about how new boots are designed/developed...instead of saying the same thing over and over again, I thought I'd put together a blog with all the info! check it out,

first pullover

I'll be going through the entire design process from concept to development to production, showing lots of new concepts, sketches and designs.

My first feature will be the development of the new hummel 6.2 Concept FG, with lots of exclusive pics (because I designed it) before the shoe hits the market feb 06!

R

[​IMG]

first pullover
    footwear design/development blog
    football.concept.design.development.production.pics.marketing

2. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Football boots of crocodile leather :eek: :eek: :eek: ???

3. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN
    get a new logo... lol

<<< >>> or whatever... not so cool

just trying to help

4. newby123uk

newby123uk New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    york
    Ha, when i saw your thread on crooked tongues i knew it wouldn't be long before it was posted on some of the football boot threads!

I think its good to give us an idea of the process involved in making the boots we play in.

As for hummell, can you give an answer to why you guys decided to sell such expensive boots in America and not try them in the UK? Did they sell at all? I think a lot of people on here would have loved to try a pair but they were so bloody expensive!

5. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Yeah, I was also wondering why they are so expensive, way more expensive than any other brand's.

6. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    VERY Cool. Love the site. Keep it up, great to hear news from the inside.

7. designez1

designez1 Member

Nov 19, 2003
    New York
    Excellent site!!! Good to see that Hummel is doing their own thing... Don't forget to post some of those flashy design-renderings later on :)

8. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Thanks everyone for the comments!

Good to hear that others out there are interested in something new and different!

At hummel, we strongly believe in going in our own direction, focused on performance and also individual character. In my opinion, true football players are ready for solid, technical, unique products that have value aside from the fact that someone is getting paid millions of dollars to wear them!

I personally think the whole sponsorship thing and endorsement thing has gotten way outta hand, and doesnt give players enough credit for thinking for themselves!

Regarding the hummel Vault products that have been sold in the US at very high prices, those products were introduced as a special campaign. They were all hand stitched, Made in Japan top quality K-Leather boots. Given the small quantity of boots we imported to the US, they were very successful and, especially with the feedback we recieved from players saying they were some of the most comfortable boots they wore.

The Vault series was never brought over to the UK, as we ran it as a US exclusive.

For 2006 however, (delivery in Feb in US, June in UK) we have a totally new line featuring a really tight selection of innovative products with great technical features and unique character, now at a wider variety of price points.

For sure I will be posting up more pics (and sketches!) of the new line on my blog. check it out for daily updates.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback!

9. Tottino

Tottino Member+

Mar 19, 2005
    Frosinone, Italia
    Club:
    AS Roma

how much do they cost?

10. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Many of them are way over $300 US

11. Juventus_Supporter

May 29, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    hummel boot , theres the link to probably the most expensive boots other then the rare ying yang pulses!

12. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    Any boots made in japan are quality and very ex

13. Jaspero

Jaspero New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Netherlands
    In the netherlands hummel boots are very cheap.
    none of the boots are over 80 euro's
    in my opninion the new range of hummel boots first have to prove themselves before i buy them..

14. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    stop making ugly polkadotted matching crap

15. DaRonaldinhoFan15

DaRonaldinhoFan15 New Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Lisle, Il
    The Hummel Professional cost US$400. I think those are the most expensive Hummel boots.

16. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    To answer some questions that have come up (and give a few new comments)-

1. hummel in the Netherlands is made by a licensee company. The majority of boots sold there are not the same as the international collection. This is why someone has noted the difference in price. They are completely different products. Licensee agreements like this are very common in the industry.

2. Indeed the $400 hummel Professional boots may be very expensive, but I hope everyone out there understands that were not made to be "the most expensive boot around".... only the best quality and comfort we could produce. Of course they are not for everyone, and of course we dont even sell tons of them... thats not the point.

3. The point about testing and proving the new boots before someone tries them is a great point. Later in my case study on the new boots posted on my blog, first pullover, I will actually be showing the whole process of how we do this (material testing, testing with players, etc.). Certainly it is VERY important!

As I mentioned earlier, part of the whole idea for hummel is to make unique products that serve more specialized needs ad allow people to express their own individuality. Some people want ultimate comfort and fit (hummel Professional)... some people want color matching polka dots (amazingly popular for the young girls market that is HUGE in the US).... Some people want gold croc skin boots (NEW 2006 6.2 Concept)...

Surely I would think that not everyone wants the same thing!...

Richard
    first pullover
    http://pullover.blogspot.com
    footwear design/development blog

17. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    I read somewhere that thier idea was to price is so high that only the wealthy could afford them. They wanted to target the higher market. And they believe that it would be a statement of thier spending power. To me thats wrong wrong wrong. totally losing the plot.

18. david14

david14 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    :mad:I bought a pair of hummel denmarks and they riped after a week of pratice :mad: is there any thing that i can do i love them

19. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    david,

im very sorry to hear about your boots. hummel is well known for excellent quality, especially the Denmark boots and the the other top, japan made models as others have noted in this forum.

as with any product, especially one hand made, sometimes there can be issues. we proudly have a less than 1% claim rate. most brands have two or three times as many problems.

to be able to comment further about your situation, i would need some more information (model, color, wheere you are located, etc.).

please feel free to email me on my work email, rku@hummel.dk and i'm sure we can look into it.

thanks,

richard

20. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Hi David,

Of course we will stand behind our products and glad to hear you loved your hummel boots.

Thanks for your PM with more information about model/etc. I have looked into the situation and am happy to say I can help!

if you can please send me your old boots (i will PM you with the details), I have arranged to be able to send you a new pair.

Officially we dont have any sort of a return policy like this as soccer boots undergo ltos of natural wear and tear, but I would like to be able to help.

Thanks,

Richard

21. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Result David! If only Nike or adidas made life so simple...

bigg skizz

22. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    took the words out of ma mouth!

23. follend

follend New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hej rkuchinsky,
    du har har skrevet at grunden til at hummel støvler i usa er så dyre, er at de er håndsyede i japan, men jeg har set Hummel Golden Goal på en japansk side til ca. 15000JPY (ca.820kr) mod 350$ i usa, og tomasson støvlen kostede 200kr mere i usa end i danmark hvorfor? :confused: :)

24. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Hej Follend,

Undskyld, men jeg forstar ikke.

Sorry, but I dont really understand danish very well (I am Canadian, and have been living here in Denmark for one year, but havent learnt too much Danish!)

Still, I understand you are asking about the prices of hummel boot in the US compared to Denmark. if you could please ask your question in english it would me better respond, and also perhaps helps other here in the forum.

Thanks,

Richard

25. Juventus_Supporter

May 29, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    you misspelled others!