new england high schools

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by sregis, Oct 25, 2003.

1. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    here we are beginning the playoffs- what's the buzz out there...teams to watch, etc. i'm familiar w/ some teams from maine- falmouth has another fantastic team. and w. mass- look out for minnechaug, who is undoubetly tops.

2. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Boys and Girls State Tournament Brackets

http://massachusetts.ihigh.com/0,1713,1_4_0_81486,00.html

In Massachusetts I think every team from the Bay State League should have a pretty big impact on the tournament. Not to sound biased but I think it's the best league in the state. Framingham and Newton North in D1 North, Weymouth and Natick in D1 South and Wellesley and Walpole in D2 South. Framingham (League Champs/my team) should have a decent run despite playing laxadasically yesterday against East Boston. We have a tough game tomorrow against MP. Newton North has already knocked off the #1 seed on PKs. Walpole and Wellesley have each already won a game in the tournament.

In D1 North I think that the winner of the St. John's Prep/Medford game will make up one side of the North final. I think it will be either Weymouth or Dartmouth to take the South, St. John's Shrewsbury to come out of the Central and I have no idea about any teams in the West.

3. simms3434

simms3434 New Member

May 26, 2003
    lexington, MA
    medford vs. st. john's

my team, Lexington, just played Medford in the first round. We lost 1-0 in overtime, but i though they were very overrated team. I'm not sure how they won their game against st. john's

4. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    in the west, you've got the usual suspects- cathedral & ludlow (who have to play each other in the semi's) and minnechaug (the #1 seed). the finalist will almost certainly be one of those 3. cathedral boasts one of the top players in the nation, stefan mcveigh, who just broke the school point record held by jay heaps. but while anything can happen w/ single elimination, cath. has struggled this year. i'm personally rooting for "chaug", seeking their first-ever championship after an undefeated season.

5. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We (Framingham) got knocked out by MP in PKs on Sunday. We had a goal called back on a bogus offsides call and on the PKs the MP keeper took 1-2 steps forward before every shot was taken, he got called once for it but did it again on the shot he saved. It was a game we dominated and deserved to win but should have put away. But that's how single elimination goes and sometimes luck isn't on your side.
    http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/school_sports/fram_soccer11032003.htm

Hopefully Newton North will take care of them tomorrow night.

6. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    how do the playoffs break down? i'd heard that the west champ plays the central champ for a state title...what abt the east? are there ultimately 2 champions p/div?

7. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    west champ plays central champ in one semifinal and north(east) champ plays south(east) champ in the other semifinal. the two winners face off in the state final in worcester, making 1 champion.

8. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm shocked you guys lost. You had a really, really strong team.

Newton North has alot of experience but has not had a strong season. Nevertheless, anything can happen in single elimination.

I saw Medford play in preseason and was not impressed. I would not have predicted they have gone as far as they have.

Which club does Stefan McVeigh play for ?

9. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    that would be cathedral.

10. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I was asking which club, not which high school - does he play club ?

11. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
  12. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Good to see that Newton North took care of MP tonight 3-0 (I've heard by word of mouth, haven't seen anything official). I guess the NN coach asked our captain to ask some of our seniors to go and practice with them. Still haven't decided if I'm going or not yet.

Also, clips from our loss to MP:

"Offsides" goal called back
    http://www.collegesoccerrecruit.com/wrongoffsidecall.wmv

Shootout
    http://www.collegesoccerrecruit.com/ilegalPKsave.wmv

I still haven't seen them cause I have a mac and don't have Windows Media 9 so I'm not sure how good the quality is or if it shows a good angle etc.

13. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    chaug moves on in the west (2-0) over chicopee. they'll play the winner of ludlow-cathedral for the wmass championship. the real question is: can anyone beat st. john's?

14. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - Brooks can - but the two teams won't play. St Johns is going all the way - they are loaded.

Look for Newton North to beat Medford - NN is on a roll. But I predict this is as far as they get. They lose to the South winner.

15. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    you're probably right, but i for one would rejoyce in seeing somebody take them down.

16. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I was wrong and you got your wish.

Ludlow takes down the two-time champs 1-0.

Ludlow v Medford for the State Championship

17. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    right- ludlow now w/ two straight upsets...anything can happen.