New Donovan interview

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by olafgb, Sep 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    It's only a second source as I didn't buy the paper where the interview was printed:

US national player Landon Donovan doesn't want to return to Leverkusen over a longer period of time. "Only if Bayer said 'we want you for one season. If you're playing and you like it, then you can stay. If not, then you can return to the USA'. With this offer I'd say 'Okay, let's try it'", said the 20 year old in an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung.

But he's just having the chance to return for four or five years. This is excluded by Donovan "I can't go to Leverkusen with the knowledge that I'll have to stay for four years. That's impossible."

Bayer GM Ilja Kaenzig already explained during this week that Donovan won't play for Bayer this season. Donovan complained that he didn't get a chance back then "That was terrible. To have a good life I've got to be lucky. Why should I go somewhere where I don't play? This would be stupid."

------------------------

Guess, we're getting another situation once again. It is all reasonable what he says, though these words don't tell me the problems. I mean, nobody can know whether he makes it before he is returning and showing his skills in the training - that's what he says would be okay in a one season try. If he's still far away from the team, then it is Bayer's common way to loan these talented players (or sell if they are completely without chance), let it be MLS or some other Bundesliga club. If he fails, then nobody will force him to stay four seasons.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    If Leverkusen took him back with the understanding that he'd either finish his contract there for 4 years or transfered away then there is no way Donovan would be able to go back to the MLS. Leverkusen would have no reason to loan an unhappy player, they'd sell him off. And there is no way in hell that MLS would be able to afford the transfer fee of a player of donovan's talents. I think Landon realizes this and that why he would say no to 4 years. If he is unhappy he is screwed out of the MLS

3. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Yes, that would be stupid. Well said.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I think he's being a bit goofy here. First he doesn't want to go back because he wasn't happy there. Then he'll go back, but only for a year. Go or don't go, but dont' be a tool about it. He's only 20. Even if he stays 4 years- he's still only 24. I can see that he doesn't want to be Hejduk, nearing 30 and not getting a shot so he has to transfer to a mediocre swiss team to get playing time, but I don't see that happening. Maybe Frankie told him something about Toppmueller (sp) or the organization that is spooking him. I don't think his talents will disappear in Leverkusen. Rather, I think he has a lot that he can learn there. There are many worse places that he could end up at than one of the top teams in the bundesliga. It isn't like he's going to the Croatian 3rd division or Serie C2. He will get solid league experience, experience in european competition (be it CL or Uefa cup action over 4 years), and the ability to play with and against world class players of many styles (ballack and ze roberto, against them now), way beyond what MLS could possibly offer. It isn't EPL, serie A or La Liga, but you can't go from san jose to starting for Real Madrid overnight.

5. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Donovan should stop bitching.

6. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well said. i like the kid. i think he is an amazing talent, and i completely understand and respect his reasons for not going to bl 04. but he is simply being unprofessional.

if he doesn't watch out then he will get a bad reputation. i sincerely hope that this does not hinder future opportunities for him.

7. bbarrie

bbarrie New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Charleston, SC
    two words on the dangers of not playing on the first team:
    <b>Eddie Lewis</b>

once you're over there, you have to play by their rules, and if they don't want to play him and aren't willing to trade him, that's just tough. unlike Brad Friedel who was stuck in a Lewis-esqe saga at liverpool, Landon isn't a player who'll play into his 40s... his best years are now.

8. JaxxNate25

JaxxNate25 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Jacksonville FL
    Quit Bitching? I think everyone needs to lay off him...If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to...He is being punished for a decision he made when he was 16 years old...Be happy he wants to stay in the US...I applaud Landon for standing up for what HE wants, and thats all that matters...

Believe it or not, there is more to life than Soccer...If he's happy in the US, be happy for him...

Nate

9. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I'm with you, Nate. What's so unproffesional about the guy wanting to play in his own country, on a team that plays him? He should play where he wants, and you guys are the ones that should stop bitching.

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sounds like a two year old in the checkout line throwing a fit because he can't get his way. 16 or 36,,,,,the guy had and agent and I am sure his parents talked it over with him. He signed a contract to play for BL and he is trying to get out of it because he wants to be on the first team. News flash there LD,,,,its the big time, not MLS and no spots are secure unless your name is Figo or Zidane. Stomp your feet some more and maybe BL will let you stay in SJ where you will be talked about as the the best US player to ever play in the US.......huge accomplishment. Suck it up, be a man and go see how you stack up against real competition in one of the best leagues in the world. If you can't compete after a year or two, I am sure BL would have no problem selling your contract back to MLS if they are still in business. Momma's boy!

11. LandOthoVan

LandOthoVan New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Waukesha, WI
    but nike can

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, there is the issue of salary and contracts and such. I don't really like my employer much either, but I already drank the check and so I gotta go to work.

On the other hand, having been a sports news hack for a short while, it is silly to go too far to dissect second hand quotes that have been translated from English to German to English again. They probably weren't recorded exactly right in the first place. But the basic idea - I'll go and give it a shot as long as they really need me as a player, but I don't want to be an "investment" that BL positions for maximum transfer value without thought to my career/happiness - is sound thinking for a 20 year old or a 50 year old. And if you've got the cones or juice to pull it off, good for you.

13. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree that wanting to play on the team he's currently playing with, in front of fans with whom he has a wonderful relationship, is unprofessional. Contracts should be honored, but contracts can be bought and sold or revised. These things can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

Perhaps this is suppose to make a point but it just sounds demeaning to American soccer players in general and the MLS in particular.

14. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    This is legally possible. Loan him to MLS for a reasonable amount (e.g. 1M anually) and enter a contract clause that Bayer gets 90% of the transfer sum in case of transfering somewhere else.

@JaxxNate25: he signed a legally enforceable contract - the current one at the age of 18 or 19. In German legal terms you can describe a contract as 'declaration of the will'. This nicely shows that he stated his will for the fixed period of time.

@freisland: you're right, there might be transition errors by translating English to German, putting it to a second source and translating back (though - I'm quite sure that in the last step there were none ;)). However, FAZ is one of the best quality papers in Germany and dpa - a quality press agency - did the summary; in this case I'd rely on the outcome.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree that wanting to play on the team he's currently playing with, in front of fans with whom he has a wonderful relationship, is unprofessional
    Nothing unprofessional about that what so ever,,,unfortunately he has a contract with a team he does not want to play for and refusing to go back to play for them is the unprofessional part.....I think he owes BL. Being mad because he did not get a chance with the first team when he was 16 or 17 is ridiculous. How many players that age actually expect that?

Perhaps this is suppose to make a point but it just sounds demeaning to American soccer players in general and the MLS in particular.
    face it MLS is by no means the bundisliga. Landon has the chance to be possibly the greatest american field player ever.....the world and the US will never know how good he actually is until he plays day in and day out in a league such as the bundisliga, epl, la liga etc. People will always wonder if he could have actually made it over there against the best. If he is happy and content with mediocrity then thats great,,,,more power to him,,,,But he needs to wake up and smell the java and hold up to his end of the bargain.

16. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olaf: On a somewhat related note, did you by any chance see the San Jose-DC United game or highlights from Saturday (Aug. 31)? I went to the game with my father and brother, and, at the beginning of the 2nd half, I was about to comment to my brother that Landon seemed uninterested in the game. He then proceeded to turn Eddie Pope, cut into the middle and unleash a 20 yard screamer into the net. A few minutes later, he worked a give and go with a teammate and took the ball right through the middle of the defense and then calmly scored again. (A few minutes later, he then missed another one v one with the goalie.)

17. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    No, I just read in kicker that he scored two goals.

18. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn.

How many more threads are we going to have in YA which quote LD saying he doesn't want to accept the challenge of the Bundesliga?

Get back to me when he actually wants to become a YA, until then, IMO this is for the quakes board.

19. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And that's probably the crux of the issue. Post-World Cup he's smelt the $$$s likely to be thrown in his direction if he stays in the US, and it's become a more palatble option than going back to Germany. The rest of his public comments are probably somewhat disingenuous posturing.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't think he has mentioned money. I'm only 23 years and I think of my happiness before I think of money. Yes I am idealistic like most 20somethings, and so is Landon. I don't think money is an issue. I think this situation is simple. If he believes he has a chance to make the 1st team, he'll goto Leverkusen. Otherwise he'll stay in San Jose.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think alot of the criticism of Landon stems from people believing he owes it to US, the fans, to do whatever it takes to develop his talent.

I don't believe that. I think Landon's talent should serve Landon, not us.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to re-read the quotes. Landon says he's willing to go this season and see how it goes. His fear is of being locked in for 4 years, without recourse.

23. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    What exactly does he "owe" BL? I may have missed the boat on this one, but I have never seen anything that has been written about how BL is trying to get him back, threatening lawsuits, FIFA sanctions, or anything like that. As far as I know it seems like BL is happy enough letting him stay in MLS. Anybody know anything to the contrary?
    What bargain??? What are you talking about here? He owes it to us? No. He owes it to BL? No. He owes it to himself to be happy. And finally, I would hardly call his last year or so "mediocrity". That seems a little silly.

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking. M assuming the worst about an American player. Who woulda thunk it!

25. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Quit your BIATCHHINGG over the dude (its like an
    N-stynK concert on this board!?!?!?)

Hey, if Landon wants to stay in MLS...fine..but MLS better pay up their part of the deal to Bayer (not sure how costly that is...and if MLS can afford it...Nike or no "Evil" Nike empire....just don't want MLS headquarters doing more damage than they've already done to this league with the deal...

...Just an aside.... first Petke gets a trial with Bayern Munich, then Donavon bad mouths the coaching choices at BL04 just because he thinks an American teenager should start every champions league game and bundesliga game...

I'd say American players aren't helping themselves getting a chance in Germany...

...sometimes you gotta suck things up, hold your pride just a little...and work your ass off....ie Reyna, Friedal, O'brien and Keller...