NEW Deftones !!!

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ellison, May 20, 2003.

1. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    Out today .... 5/20

Just when I am about to lose it. With all of these "The" bands, watered down punk, hip-pop, Dave Matthews clones, etc etc, aka crap. I'm not sure if I've purchased a quality CD since White Pony. Thank you Deftones.

Bonus: The Deftones covered Helmet's greatest song ever, Sinatra, I hear it's available on the Minerva single. One of the two greatest bands covering one of the two greatest bands.

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Lemme take a wild guess. Your two favorite bands are the Deftones and Helmet?

I liked White Pony the least, but interviews I read say this new one's heavier overall. Will be picking it up later, and also seeing them on 6/13 in Mountain View with Foo Fighters (and a bunch more bands).

3. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    really? you liked White Pony the least? I felt it was their most complete album if nothing else, I really can't pick one to be their best or worst. For me each one brings it's own vibe. I took to White Pony and Adrenaline instantly though, hoping Deftones is the same way.

4. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    "Battle Axe" is my favorite song off the new album with "Minerva" coming in second.

And yes, their version of Helmet's "Sinatra" is great. Just wait until you hear "Sleep Walk" off the Minerva single as well.

5. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    i'll have to find the Minerva single ... right now I think Bloody Cape, Minerva, Needles & Pins, and When Girls Telephone Boys are my picks. That could change at any moment though. (Only because it takes me a while to fully take in an album.)

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    The album will debut on Billboard at #2 next week, behind Staind's new one.

7. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Never understood Deftones, all their albums sound the same. Its like slow, mellow hardcore.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, half their album is real great, the other half tends to sound like they're just pounding on their instruments while Chino screams his head off. I really like a lot of their songs though. Probably Be Quiet and Drive is my fave if not Digital Bath. The video for Digital Bath is great though.

I downloaded Battle Axe and Minerva and I really like.

9. yeah, i liked white pony the least also..i think my fave would def. have to be adrenaline....im pretty sure that was the name of it.

10. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    huh? have you heard their albums? they each sound completely different, ....??????....... it never ceases to amaze me.

11. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should have broke up after Adrenaline.

12. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    ... so we could have missed their two best albums. Sorry, they aren't some crap punk band, they actually evolve.

13. punk bands are not crap. maybe the watered down, radio and mtv versions that are popular now, but real punk is not crap.

and sorry, but the last two albums were def. not their best by any means. what good is a band whos evolution isnt that great.

14. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    I don't know, because the Deftones have clearly gotten better. Also, they've had three albums since Adrenaline, so I wasn't necessarily talking about their last two albums. I guess your math skills are as weak as your taste in music. I can see why you like what you do.

15. Actually...I wasn't counting around the fur, because i didn't think that release was all that bad....maybe YOU think they have gotten better, I however think they've been on a downward spiral since adrenaline...and we are all entitled to our own opinions.
    Furthermore you do not have any right whatsoever to criticize my math skills or my music tastes because you do not know me..Insulting me is truly childish and there really is no need for it on a message board. I never insulted you or your taste in music, I just gave my opinion on the band.
    I am also going to assume that you've never really listened to punk music and therefore you cannot really judge it..I have heard all 4 of the deftones albums so I can put in my two cents.

16. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I picked up the album yesterday and I liked it; it reminds me of Around the Fur. Oh, and Ellison, on White Pony they evolved into something that sucked, now they're getting back to their roots.

17. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    I've been listening to the new album whenever I can and I think it's amazing. Personally, I wish all bands would evolve and grow as the Deftones have. I think their progression as musicians has been exemplary.

I'm surprised to see others here didn't like White Pony, most Deftones' fans I know think it was their best (although the new album sounds like it will give it a run for their money).

18. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    Exactly ... White Pony put them on another level ... it upped the ante, raised the bar. And, just like you Gamblor, the "real" Deftones fans I know, all prefer White Pony slightly above the rest. Which is obviously no surprise.

People can disagree about White Pony but then they'd be wrong. Here, take your two cents back. You may not prefer the style but because it's not as "heavy", but the music is clearly better. Simple as that. Deftones, 4 albums, 4 classics. Batting 1.000.

19. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    True dat. However, from reading the progression of this thread, it's easy to see that the Deftones are the true winners, because the new album is emmbraced by both camps: those who thought White Pony was a freaking brilliant evolution, and those (like me) who wanted harder stuff.

Saw them last night at Shoreline (with Foo Fighters, AFI and, ugh, White Stripes). Totally kicked ass. Be Quiet and Drive opener, set also included Around the Fur, Lhabia, 7 Words, My Own Summer, Minerva, When Girls Telephone Boys. Only song off White Pony was Digital Bath (no Change or Mini-Maggit). Cool surprise was Can't Even Breathe. Unfortunately, it was one of those radio station festival shows, so they only played about an hour. But it was good to see them, because even though they're relatively local, the Deftones had missed their last two billed appearances at Shoreline. (Off-topic, but the funniest part of the night bar none was 20,000 people cheering when some guy from Live 105 came out and announced that Evanesence couldn't make it. Later, Dave Grohl went off on them during the Foos set, really funny stuff.)