New deal for McBride?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by American40, Oct 27, 2006.

1. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
  2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I am somewhat surprised, but I suspect it will be another 1-year deal. Good for Brian-- he's still high quality for Fulham.

3. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Brian McBride the next Teddy Sheringham? Discuss.

(Teddy Sheringham has started 97 games and scored 37 goals since turning 35, plus another 43 starts and 28 goals in FA Cup, League Cup, and League Championship).

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the ultimate compliment. Teddy, while he may be older than Methuselah, has still produced despite age. Teddy has done quite a bit for the younger players at West Ham and I'd love to see Brian take on that type of role. Maybe a player-coach could be in the works. He's a class individual who's earned the respect of the folks both Stateside and abroad. A future manager, i hope!

5. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell you what. McBride may have not seen his last action for the USNT.
    If he stays healthy and effective, and none of the younger guys steps up, i could see him coming in for the seminfinal round of Qualies in 08.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's actually easier to be McBride's type striker than Sheringham's withdrawn forward. Brian's offensive game is about reading the game, positioning and heading. Teddy has to run a lot more for his supper but Brian is capable of that also.

BTW, a new deal is nice but I am sure Brian doesn't want to take a pay cut either.

7. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

Eh, let the guy spend some time with the fam. Our new strikers will need all pressure games they can get.

Then again...if somehow we find ourselves in a one-off situation...better keep him (and Keller) on the speed dial.

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, a pay cut at Fulham would still be a lot more than playing in MLS.