New chant for next year?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by cliffkram, Nov 13, 2003.

1. NYM Retros

NYM Retros Red Card

Nov 17, 2003
    Long Island
    i think we just need more people singing.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Interesting SN you have there mate :)

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STOP!
    DROP!
    Shut 'em down open up shop!

It's a start. You could be onto something here...

Good lookin out, dawg.

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, most songs that are introduced into the section die a quick death regardless of influence, rap, the Beatles, or whatever. I hope you do realize that. Second of all, a song with even a couple of stanzas dies even a quicker death. That's the straight up truth..People in our section don't even wanna sing songs. They'd just prefer to chant stuff that easy and fast, for real. Think about it, how many "SONGS" are used with frequency in 101? BE honest and think. Exclude Soy de Metro/Dale Dale Me/Dale Metro Dale (which was sung since 96 with passion galore), and then tell me how many real "SONGS" we sing.

No sarcasm or anything like that. I'm serious.

Think back or even conduct a search in this forum. Remember all the "I've got a great song for this game" threads that are started up here? How many songs in those threads were lifted off the boards and sung in the section by more than half-a-dozen people?

DC Leg-Breakerz? Funny somg, great content, plenty of people coming up with funny contributions, but guess what no one sings em.

Do us a solid and tell us. I've personally lost all inspiration to try and come up with long "SONGS." There are those in our section that exert some effort to try to match a melody with the right combo of words that keeps in time, then try to start it up in the section. Guess what, dead in the water after like half a verse.

No argument here on that point, a whole helluva lot of people are guilty of that, including myself..

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I prefer the more traditional
    "We're sh!t, and we know we are"

6. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to post again, but it's not about what's technically better, but our section has turned into "what CAN we sing" and "will the ESC sing the songs."

There's one we do that's I guess was lifted from an opera that we obviously took from Europe, we do the song cuz there's hardly any words, just METRO at the end.

It's a wrap, people.

Aside from the name calling here, this is one of the better threads in this forum in a long time. I'll tell all y'all why, I'm just tired of being a part of a supporters club in MLS with the most widest variety of songs/chants, and people singing them at 1/4 volume. I don't. I know a few others don't.

What's the rest of the people's deal here?

Do we sing louder just because it's a Cup Final? Do we sing louder because the team is showing us something? Or do we sing louder to inspire this team to break out if its funk? Or do we not sing and cross our arms and silently think to ourselves, "Well I ain't singing till they get their collective heads outta their keisters."

Well, what is it? Why do you sing or why don't you sing?

7. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I think some minor English team's fans sing "You'll Never Walk Alone," an American show tune from way back.

How about:

Allez, les rouge et noir!
    Allez, le MetroStar!
    Marchon, marchon,
    Rou-ouge et noir,
    Marchon, le MetroStar!

-- courtesy of the BIg Show called the French Revolution.

One trouble with the Red-Black thing out of Les Mis
    is that black is seen as negative - I see it as positive: strong, massive, the color of all colors, while red is the color of blood and passion.

Sangua! Sangua! Sangua!
    -- Verdi's OTELLO

How about "It's All Happening At the Zoo" by Simon and Garfunkel? :)

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    In fact we do sing whole verses, if not whole songs:

'If I had the wings of a sparrow,
    if I had the ass of a crow,
    I'd fly over DC United,
    and *#*#*#*# on the bastards below.

*#*#*#*# on, *#*#*#*# on,
    *#*#*#*# on the bastards below, below.
    etc.

Also:

'There's only one (whoever)
    only one (whoever),
    with a packet of sweets
    and a cheeky, smile,
    (whoever) is f*****g pedophile."

--and a few others, equally ribald.

We do need a broader range, and more people singing. On the other hand, the 20-minute nonstop singing of a single song by the Fire fans sounds like something out of a faschist propaganda flick, like Triumph Of The Will.