New chant for next year?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by cliffkram, Nov 13, 2003.

1. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    This is the chorus from the song RED AND BLACK from Les Miserables...kinda cool.

Red - the blood of angry men!
    Black - the dark of ages past!
    Red - a world about to dawn!
    Black - the night that ends at last!

Red - I feel my soul on fire!
    Black - My world if she's not here!
    Red - The color of desire!
    Black - The color of despair!

Lather rinse and repeat. I suppose you could fiddle with some of the words to make it more Metro related, but if anyone's ever seen it, its kinda cool. They're waving this massive flag that is half red/half black (diagonally split)

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I remember that scene. I saw it some years before I was an ESC member.... it was pretty cool. Does the ESC have any huge red and black flags or are those banned?

3. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Wow! showtunes!

Are you effing kidding me?

Whats next? something out of Cats?

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Agreed, though, for the record, I find myself personally responsible for starting this by busting "chorus line" on Footix in the parking lot after the Woly goal, but hey, it was an act of temporary insanity.

Cliff, think "more phantom, less opera".

5. Well, it certainly won't be "Memories". :)

Actually though, you shouldn't be too quick to dismiss "showtunes". Like it or not, a number of the traditional chants and songs are derived from film scores, operas and even American Civil War marching tunes.

6. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Knock it all you want, but it does contain red and black and mentions of battle and other soccer related bric-a-brac.

Or screw you guys...im going home

7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are dicks. This is a great idea.

You mean we can sing bastardized christmas carols and nursery rhymes, but showtunes are out of bounds?

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, singing a rousing song marching towards certain death at Shiloh is a whole helluva lot different than singing a song walking up Broadway towards certain boredom at a Broadway show..

9. MetroAnt

MetroAnt New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah....

Yeah, these guys are right, no showtunes!!!!

I'm about to write a strongly worded letter to Liverpool and tell them to cut it out with that "You'll Never Walk Alone" stuff. Everyone knows thats from Carousel. And they went and put it on their badge! Unbelieveable....

10. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Re: yeah....

Certain showtunes work. And no doubt in 10 years every other MLS supporters club will sing "You'll never have a home" to the metrostars as we wait for the next stadium announcement in 60 days.

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize that "Soy del Metro" is just "The Flesh Failures" from Hair with different words, right?

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hate to agree with a fishstick..... but yea what's the hatred towards the show tunes? If it is Red and Black and soccer revelant.... what's the problem?

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks A$$hole,

And its not like this song is "Magical Mister Mestophelies" or something. "Red and Black is a song with balls and passion.

What are you old guard guys scared of?

14. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Re: yeah....

You do realize that they started with "You'll Never Walk Alone" because of the massacre at Hillsborough...fool

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: yeah....

Chill out, he just forgot to put a winky smiley face to idiot proof the sarcasm for you.

16. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Showtunes = gay

Who gives a frag who sings them, and why, thats not the point. There's alot of other positive sh!t people do in Liverpool like arrive early for a match, march in, sing in unison for 90 WITH PASSION, and have orgaaniied supporters clubs ...
    ... I dont see any of you retards copying that.

17. I'm not sure, some shows are so bad, it might be worse than certain death. :)

18. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Having walked out on a production of "Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat" during a birthday party in second grade, I can vouch for this.

19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So "Soy del Metro" is gay?

What a closeted *#*#*#*# you are.

20. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Yeah pretty much considering we stole it from other peeps. And by the way the way we sing it is even worse. Atleast when the other peeps(like River) sing it its with full voice and passion, not trying to sing an opera.

21. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    just because its from a show doesnt mean its gay. that whole story is about marching off to death against impossible odds. i agree, its no "magical mister mestophelies". if singing songs about war r too gay for soccer matches then what the hell is there to sing? megadeath? or maybe everyone should rap a DMX song in unison.

however...what would be really cool would be if a whole stadium was singing those deep,bass, Soviet chants from movies and stuff like that. I certainly dont kno any tho.

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are a bunch of closed mided fuçks. Can you a$$holes come up with anything better?

Have you ever even heard "Red and Black"

23. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Thank you. I know I'll be singing it at the first match next season. If the rest of you don't then it's just your loss. Do what ya gotta do to support the team.

24. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Are there chants at Metros stars games?

If so could some write em up

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club: