New Captain?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Nov 17, 2004.

1. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Sala showed more passion in 10 seconds after the last game of the season than any other hooped player has in 2 years.

Sala's my captain.

2. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Did you not read the part about the captain needing to be a starter? Why do you think Pareja gave up the armband to Kreis? 'Cause he was no longer a sure starter.

3. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you... but unless you play for one of Chris's teams... Captains despite their passion, do not loose their heads in times of stress. Just the opposite Captains need to be cool and calculated. Sala is a great leader.

4. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I was going to ask about Zidane but you said "lose their head" not "USE their head". My mistake.

5. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I think Sala is one of the leader's of this team, I just don't like the keeper being the on field captain.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    It is precisely because of his actions in those 10 seconds that Sala should not be captain, IMO. Captains are the players the rest of the team looks to for leadership, a calming influence in a time of confusion. Sala lost his cool there and let his emotions get the best of him. That's not captain material.

7. Eaashley79

Eaashley79 Member

Dec 8, 2006
    San Antonio
    Last season, Rhine started 30 (of 34) games.

http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/players...r=rhine_b&playerId=rhi444955&statType=current

Only Morrow knows if he's going to be a sure starter this season or not. All I'm saying - if he's starting at right back (and at this point I think he will be), he's a top candidate for captain.

Seriously, did you not read my first post? I'm not on the "Rhine for Captain" bandwagon. Your knocks against him are my knocks against him: only a two-year starter, not one of the better players on the field, consistency problems. IMO, he isn't the best choice, but he will be considered.

8. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I hear you guys, but maybe it's just because the passion was so lacking from this team last year that whenever I see it I am very excited about it. Along those lines I'd rather have Ruiz over Mulrooney too.

9. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough to lead from Hooters.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Or by lying on your butt with your arms in the air looking pitifully at the ref.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I'm excited by any display of passion, too. Although that particular brand of passion I have a major problem with. I agree that the captain should be someone willing to bleed for the shirt....but smart enough not to make others bleed on their shirt.

12. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think for this team Mulrooney makes the better option to be captain and I would support SM if he appointed Sala vice captain.

13. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sir, you are wise...

14. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that Eric Cantona and Roy Keane are not examples of being captain material?

15. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not again....:p

16. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know I couldn't resist. :D

17. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Coop is so new to the team because he is the future Captian.

18. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Rhine wasnt the starting RB because he was a quality player, he was the starting RB because the coaches did a crap job of finding a suitable solution. I don't want my team captain to be a "fill in" player, which is exactly what Rhine is.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Ruiz.

20. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    This is Captain material:

[​IMG]

21. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    As is this.....
    [​IMG]

22. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not really. Recall those quotes about trying Yi at right back? Remember the one about Wallace being able to compete there too? That alone tells you Rhine is not a lock to start.

Mulrooney is a legit name, but up until now he has not been captain material IMO in Dallas. Maybe as a new player he didn't want to put himself forward. Will he step up this spring?

Sala is a legit name. Although I agree with the not wanting a keeper for captain thing.

Cooper could be legit. Morrow has nothing against young captains, I know cause I asked him about it.

Ruiz also could be thrown in here. If he continues to work hard.

But the name I like the best at this point is Drew Moor. Young yes, but hard working and about as lock as this team has to start outside of Ruiz.

You could have put Serioux on your list but he was too new and now he's out.

23. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch

fully agree with this.

24. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who generally captained the most successful teams last season? Houston's was... was it Barrett? and DC's was Olsen, right? and New England's was Franchino (when not injured)? if I'm right, all three have something in common, and that's that they all have at least one cap. so following that logic... ;)

25. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Eric Wynalda should have been a wonderful captain.

er...