New Cal Expo Stadium

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by Knave, Nov 14, 2013.

1. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly they can put everything up in 2 months. So, working backwards, that could give them middle/end of February the latest to start things.

I just know nothing about this company or what type of stadium will go up. I'm going to look them up now and see if there are any examples out there of things they've built.

2. sugit

sugit Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    That's good to hear, but still worries me quite a bit. Fingers crossed!

3. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find anything about Ovations Fanfare regarding stadiums or venues - it seems like they exclusively are a vendor/catering service operating food at various venues around the country. I don't understand as the club has said Ovations are the ones building the stadium, what that entails, or if they're just basically paying some other company to build it; what is that company?

I'm totally speculating, but I'm guessing the sticking point has to do with concessions. I bet Ovations wants a monopoly(or close to it) on all food/drink sold at games, whereas the club wants to bring in lots of food trucks, local breweries, etc.. I really would love to know.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    These temporary, modular stadiums can go up and down very quickly. Empire Field, which held almost 28,000 people, went up in 111 days. For Sacramento, we're talking about a stadium that's a little more than 1/4 that size.

Macsen repped this.
  5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but who is building ours? What company? What types of stands will they be? Examples of what ours will look like?

I guess I want too many details. :cool:

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going to parrot Knave's point when I read the first page. Empire Field took less than 3 months to build, and Cal Expo is far smaller and far less complex (no roof). I think it can be done in time, or with minimal displacement (perhaps the first couple weeks on the road?).

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Stadium update:

xbhaskarx and SoccerPrime repped this.
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow 60 days. Great news.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, 60 days... how long did the temporary stadium the Whitecaps used in their first season take?
    This reminds me of a news story I once saw about China building a skyscraper in [double digit number] days, I remember thinking wow that's impressive... I wouldn't want to work there.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Rays, 3 posts above, Empire Field took less than 3 months to build. ;)

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started reading at the bump... so one comment below that. Comments from December 12 are ancient in Internet time.

12. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is anyone able to get some insider info on what the hold-up is? I have a few peripheral sources that haven't been able to give me anything new; 99% finished, just working on details, etc.

It just seems to be dragging along for being 99%?!? Why risk the opening day for small details? I'm hoping there isn't something bigger that could torpedo the whole thing. Going back to Sac City college after all this would be a huge let-down. I'd prefer the Rivercats stadium if Cal Expo fell through , though its probably already been looked at and turned down.

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything just depends on formality of votes by Cal Expo board, legal hoops to jump through. They want to get started but can't yet, until te final green light. But everything should happen. Always possibility of something going wrong, I guess.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    In my experience, this sort of thing is just par for the course with boards like this. It always takes longer than it should.

They said they need 60 days for construction. The first home game is April 26. 60 days before that is February 25. No doubt they don't want to cut it that close. It's now January 31. I figure they've got a maximum of two weeks before truly getting nervous.

15. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Shovels can't touch dirt until the board formally approves. The board has to give 10 days notice before approval meeting.

They've got two weeks at the most. I'm a bit nervous. Playing any games at SCC is a buz kill.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    My concern, honestly, is whether shovels can touch dirt the day after the board gives formal approval. I'd hope so, but that all depends on how prepared things are to begin construction.

17. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or one timely rainstorm

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Honestly, this year I'd accept a stadium delay in exchange for rain.

19. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got an email today, basically said they now have to wait 10 days for public review/input something er other.. Not sure it that means they have to have another vote, more waiting..

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I got that too. I believe that's just a delay for public notice -- a pretty standard thing. But I hope the fact that they seem to have now schedule the vote means it is now just a formality. If that's the case, I hope they're working around the clock already to make sure they can break ground the morning after the vote.

QuietType repped this.
  21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. They better have everything lined up. As we learned from the Quakes stadium, thing rarely go according to plan and don't always go as fast as you'd hoped...

22. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, it's been 10 days since their meeting. Any news? Crickets?

23. DMac87

DMac87 New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed them today. Haven't heard back. Once the agreement is reached, then the Cal Expo Board will vote on it, but they are required to give 10 days notice. Their site has nothing listed for any board meeting scheduled.

http://www.calexpo.ca.gov/pages/meeting_notices.asp

24. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looking like the first home game wont be at Cal Expo. This is assuming that the Cal Expo plan isn't in danger (all i hear is "details"). Big letdown for the home opener

25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the hold up? When will the CalExpo board meet again?