New BigSoccer (Baobab) Feedback & Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old layout worked well with 800 x 600, which I prefer.

Don't like having to switch to 1024 x 768 just to use the new BigSoccer efficiently

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I'll also add a second vote for a "Last" button when paging through a thread, like we used to have.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Multiquote test.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I switched skins to Dynamo and I was happy, but now I'm back to the default white. What happened?

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Working fine for me.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have both "First" and "Last" buttons at the bottom of each of my threads. Maybe it depends which skin you're using? I'm using the Wizards skin.

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I'm not really sure I like this latest version of BS. Besides the fact that the last version looked like every other vBulletin on the Internet, I didn't really see a need for any widescale makeover. It may be that I'm just getting used to the new setup, but I think it's actually less user-friendly than before.

The aesthetics definitely took a downgrade with the makeover. The lack of borders and little difference in font sizes make organization unrecognizable. On the front page, for example, it's harder to tell where one article ends and another begins. On some boards, sub-forums don't grab as much attention as they should (i.e. my eyes could run over their links and I wouldn't know it).

Further, it seems like the Kicks feature is being forced on everybody when, frankly IMO, it hasn't received the high praise the admins wanted from the start. Now, it dominates the front page, while forums take less prominence. For one, the latest posts aren't there, and forum navigation is tucked away to the side, and an uninitiated visitor wouldn't know that the forums are really important around here without looking deeper. Which is a shame, because the boards are the heart of BigSoccer. This isn't a blog, it's a community.

I just feel this was an exercise in jamming as much content into as little space as possible, and with BigSoccer, that's just not practical. Usually, as a former website builder and programmer, I would suggest a couple of things to improve and make up for the shortcomings, but my instinct tells me just to recommend a redo. Too much is different to get me to easily like the new setup especially when the old setup wasn't so bad.

8. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to your "My Bigsoccer", click on Edit Options, scroll down - the option to change your skin is near the bottom.

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems to work quite well.

Where is my Dynamo skin?

11. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good:
    I really like the navigation on the left.
    I like the white, red, and gold color scheme.
    I like the fonts.

Bad:
    I think the line between posts needs to be a few point sizes larger. Something closer to the size of the red bar in "Topic Review."
    When looking at a forum for new threads, it is hard to differentiate between old and new threads. I realize the that new ones are bolded but because they are the same color, I have to look two or three times instead of scanning quickly.
    I have tried to figure it out before, but still don't understand the need/purpose/use of kicks. Good idea, but not very functional.

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Thank you.

13. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There was a poll here not so long ago. The result of that poll can be guessed easily.

14. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hardcoded widths need to go. There's a single column with nothing but whitespace underneathe the forum headings on the left, and on widescreen or high res monitors the center column with the postings doesn't stretch out. The site seems to be hardcoded for 1024x768.

But then when I just hit reply to quote this posting, now the site scrolls horizontally (see attached).

15. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Kicks have got to go and it would be nice if the "View Last Reply" button would work for threads

16. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The yellow BS skin needs to come back.

The KICKs are way too obnoxious.

and favorite teams should appear again.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dump the KICKS!

Customer is always right.

;)

18. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you have to log out (or clean cookies) and then log back in to get a skin change to stick?

Thanks for getting us to 30 PPP. Any chance of getting the old 40 or even 50?

19. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    agree...drop the kicks

also, i have trouble logging in using the login feature at the top...every time i log in, it still thinks i'm not logged in. I finally had to quote a post and it took me to a different login screen and now it finally recognizes that i'm logged in.

by the way...panic...do you know who i am :)

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wholeheartedly agree. If I use the DC United skin it loads a poll from the MLS site that makes the page too large for my screen. I then need to slide the page back and forth. I'm left with using the Soccer365 skin which isn't really to my liking. Bring back the yellow!!

21. CubanApex

CubanApex New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    New Jersey / Boston
    For some reason, when someone posts a reply with a quote in it, I can't see the content of the quote. It just says, "Originally posted by "blank": and then nothing following it. Is anyone else getting the same problem?

22. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    i am quoting your post about quoting posts

and nothing will show up in the quote

EDIT: it showed up now

23. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I hope it's a bug, because if it's not it will be really annoying going back and forth between posts, replies, other posts, etc.

Edit: Seems to be back to normal. Nothing to see here, folks, move along...

24. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm sure this has already been stated, but what on earth is the point of having a "quote" function, if the format doesn't allow the actual text of the post you're quoting in your post?

all the time people are quoting other posts, i don't know what the hell their quoting. i don't want to have to clink on the link to go back to the original post. that makes no sense at all. please tell me this is a bug.

other than that, i have no problems with the aesthetics.

EDIT: holy crap, it just showed up. :D

25. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Man, you are one angry dood. :D But I did notice a compliment in there so thanks.

We're doing a pretty good job of quashing bugs and putting in the good recommendatoins in this thread. Almost everything asked for in showthread for example is already live.