New BigSoccer (Baobab) Feedback & Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That depends on which view you're using in Word. Normal view has white page across the whole screen.

2. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Plus nytimes.com....wsj.com....

3. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want the latest posts column that appeared on the right side of the old bigsoccer.

4. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you people need to relax. Gees.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    See the FAQs, you simply need to sort the front page by date and in effect, you will have the latest posts column function.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hear hear!

7. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This sucks. Google's main page is popular because it is simple and uncluttered. They do not feel the need to re-invent themselves every so often, as BigSoccer is known to do. Follow the KISS methodology...Keep It Simple, Stupid. Not saying you guys are stupid, but cut it out already...we don't need ever growing bells and whistles. At the end of the day, this site should be about soccer talk.

8. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I appreciate the hard work by the programmers and designers but the new system is inferior to the old. It is narrower, despite being black on white the text is less distinct as it is crowded out by all manner of bars, icons, signatures etc. that were in the past far more segregated from the main text, and - well, as someone else already put it, there is just so much stuff.

Again, I'm not trying to put down anyone's effort... I'm merely saying I think the effort in this instance is misguided.

Edit: I'll put down one person's efforts - JonnyQuest. His responses are, on the main, patronising, and a variation on a theme of "lalala I'm not listening."

Feedback is wasted on this fellow as he's clearly of the impression that the userbase comprises idiotic peons who don't know genius when they see it.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with what you've said 100%.

I really like the way you're forced to accept the new look by giving up the great My BigSoccer sidebar navigation if you choose an older looking skin (e.g., MLS team skin). Maybe the owners don't like that people like me use My BigSoccer so much. Pretty much, I never hit any forums except those I've subscribed to. Now, if I want to access that without loading a new page, I have to use the new look, which wastes so much screen space.

Oh, and I really like the poll about the DC and RSL game. When was that game played? About three weeks ago, I think.

10. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Even my spelling error? :D (which I've edited to fix)

11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the new look unusable and will not re-up my subscription unless changes are made.

12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mlsnet look is actually good

But why is the rep and post count found on other skins but not the default white skin?

13. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    So there you have it. His baby will defended till the end and it seems we are not going to get what we are asking for, we will all like it whether we like it or not. Despite the complaints.

Come on Huss. I know you spent a lot of time with it and obviously feel like it's great, since you decided to actually launch this monstrosity, but listen to the members of BS, realize it isn't liked as you thought it would be, that you don't/didn't know what we wanted better than we knew what we wanted, and do what needs to be done to make the members of BS happy. If you insist, keep this crap you want as default but give those of us that hate it the option to stay the hell away from it so we can continue to enjoy BS as we have for years, in the way that we have for years. Just give us the BS Gold skin back.

14. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nytimes is not overwhelming white with sparse text, broken up by clutter.

I honestly feel nauseated when I read the new site.

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW
    I really hate the new format.

16. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Ok, after reading most of the posts in here, here are my two cents:

Design:
    I love the new look. I think the red, the gold and the white work perfectly for me. But I could also imagine that a yellow background would look great. Anyway, why not just add a yellow and a gray option so that everyone would be happy? I don't know how much work that is, but it sure doesn't sound like a lot.

Layout:
    I also really love the menu on the left. At the same time, I'd rather have the posts to be put as far left as possible. So my suggestion would be to place the menu on the right hand side.

I also don't have that much a problem with the post separation as some people do, but someone in this thread made a good suggestion which I'd like to second. Title and date of each post could be enclosed (like on top of each thread where navigation, search, kicks... are enclosed). That way we would still have the minimalistic look (which I think is great) while having a better distinction between single posts.

Also, the sub forums should get the same space they used to have. I don't see the point in shrinking them. They didn't hurt aesthetically but they gave useful information. Now people who don't know that they exist will probably never even find them.

On the Kicks:
    I never used them but I'm willing to give them a try. I can certainly see a benefit there (at least in theory). BUT I share the feeling of the vast majority here (virtually everyone) that the Kick icon is way too prominent. PLEASE, make it way smaller and put it on the very right of the thread title, behind "views". The best option in my view would be to just make another column behind "views" that would be named "kicks" and just list regular numbers, no icons. People who use kicks would get exactly the same information they do now, the rest could easily ignore them and the screen wouldn't look as cluttered.

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. NYT has the text in areas framed so it is easy to tell where one story begins and ends without having to concentrate. The Journal has gray on the left side where their menu is and headers and certain areas are colored to provide differentiation.

Here's the...excuse me...kicker, those are not particularly well designed sites, aesthetically speaking. Their also just for news, we're not all here JUST for news.

18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could the other skins have the menu on the left like the default

19. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    NO. Part of the reason we like the older skins over the default crap is because there is less empty white space to the left of the screen. We want the posts extending to the left edge.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As has been pointed out BigSoccer seems to have moved toward being the Digg of soccer. I suggest taking a lesson from Digg. When they made a hugely unpopular move a few months back the user base rose up and told them exactly what they thought of the idea. Digg listened to what their users said and not only did their user base thank them, but likely became even more loyal.

I'm not saying go back to the old design, but see if you can't find some middle ground with regard to the aesthetics.

21. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    One thing I will say is that the expandable menu bar on the left is great for people who, like me, jump around from country to country and don't just camp the one forum.

22. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Not sure that'll happen here. The admins seemed slavishly devoted to things like "Kicks" (which, at last count, every single person hated) and bascially tell us that the reason we don't like many of the new looks and features is because we're not used to them... Sigh.

It would be fabulous if they listened to the large majority of the members about our feelings towards appearence, layout, kicks, and the like. But the response so far has been "google has a white background" and "so don't use the kicks"... Sigh again.

23. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get the favorite team info back into the displayed user profiles on each post.

I know that it still operates in the default skin, but some of us display our passion so hardcore that we use our 'team skin.' Which no longer supports the 'favorite teams' tag.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    subscribing to a new thread seems to be missing

25. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an icon in the top left of the screen. Near the Kick It icon.