New Badge

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by HiFi, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Ding Ding Ding.

We have a winner folks.

The borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

The lion is/was assossiated with the old Military hospital in Chelsea and thought too be a fitting badge for the club.

2. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From chelseafc.com

- "Probably the most famous of the Chelsea badges, used for 33 years, this was inspired by the civic coat of arms of the Metropolitan Borough of Chelsea. The lion was derived from the Arms of Earl Cadogan who was president of the club and also held the title Viscount Chelsea. The staff is that of the Abbot of Westminster whose jurisdiction extended over Chelsea. The roses represent England and the footballs more obviously represent the game.

Chelsea did not start wearing badges on their shirts until 1960 making this the first one used in that way. For the first few seasons the full badge, complete with circle, was sewn onto the shirts. However due to the complexity of the design several simplified variations were stitched into the shirts during the 60s and 70s, even though the full design complete with circle remained the official club badge. The cup triumphs of the early 70s were marked with the addition of an FA Cup symbol and stars."

3. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Yes he was the first chairman after Mears and I think he only held the post for 1 year. Chelsea tv said they did not anticipate any problems with the Viscount Chelsea concerning the new badge.

4. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Royal borough of Kensington and Chelsea. T'is the only Royal borough in London, all t'others are just boroughs.

5. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Although the club is in and always has been common Fulham. I liked the way the Chelsea fans were singing there is only 1 club in Fulham on Saturday.

I am in for a good couple of weeks I have tickets for the next 5 games, home and away.

6. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think it looks good, but i dont really see the point in changing the badge :cool:

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    It's what the vast majority of the fans want - and full credit must be given to the powers that be (even Kenyon) for listening.

The current one is nothing short of a rip off of an old Milwall badge.
    I don't have a link to it - but it was the same lion in a rearing on it's hind legs before attacking pose.

It's (the current) nothing at all like the Chelsea Lion of yore and has no connection to our club what-so-ever.
    The fact that it's a rip off of another teams old bage is even more of a black mark against it.

8. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Chelski

[​IMG]

Millwall

[​IMG]

Chelski

[​IMG]

Millwall

[​IMG]

hmmmm

9. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    I like the new badge. Having the history of the club in the badge is great.
    Although i don't like it when clubs change badges (although i understand because of copyright reason).

Its much better than the arsenal new(ish) badge...i still hate it

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Thats the second time now that you've done that - smart arse ;), but thanks for proving my point.

Got a better link to the early 70's badge?