New and improved Season Ticket Holder Count

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by profiled, May 17, 2012.

1. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    #1351 scoachd1, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2018
    To add, in 2011 and 2012 only LA (Beckham, Keane Donovan) NY (Henry, Marquez Rost/Cahill) spent more on DPs. In 2010, Chicago actually spent more as well (Castillo, Ljungberg) was spent more. Also in 2012 I'm betting TFC was picking up much of DeGuzman's $1.9M salary when they shipped him to Dallas.

The Franchise and jayd8888 repped this.
  2. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the rule was established, two teams have consistently been the high end for DP expenditures; Los Angeles and Toronto. I'd be surprised if there was more than a single year each one wasn't among the highest spending quarter of the league.

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolt repped this.
  4. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Not quite. Toronto didn't have a DP until 2009 when the signed Julian de Guzman. Even DC (Emilio, Gallardo), Dallas (Denilson) and KC (Lopez) had DP;s before Toronto. The Galaxy has truly been the only constant big name spender since they ushered in the DP era in 2007.

In terms of big players, Chicago and Red Bulls were big at the start then Chicago puled back followed by Red Bulls. Toronto started in 2009 and have been big ever since. Seattle went big in 2013, but were more modest prior to that.. Most of the rest didn't even have a DP until 2011.

The Franchise repped this.
  5. UNION S.C.

UNION S.C. Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United at 9000 season tickets per Washington Post

6. ken0sha

ken0sha Member

AS Roma and Whitecaps FC
    United States
    Dec 29, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know how this number compares to past history? Is this up, down, meets expectations...?

7. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

LAG season tix number at 7500? Yikes. Someone is in trouble

Revolt repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to throw doubt in last year’s numbers, but Merritt Paulson responded in a now deleted tweet that the number the Galaxy showed to the league last season was quite a bit less than 11k..

profiled repped this.
  9. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I would be interested in finding out what percentage of Merritt tweets actually don't get deleted.

I would like to see how LAFC does against LAG in Season Ticket sales. Does the long time stalwart with 5 MLS Cup championships beat out the new contender who has the new car smell?

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolt and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado has around 6,700 STH as of January.

I have no link for this, because I'm actually the primary source, which is based on my most recent visit to their ticket department about a month ago.

I also do not know if that number includes C38's block of ~1,000 tickets.

Revolt and JasonMa repped this.
  12. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Very odd situation to someone outside the area. The Galaxy have been the team of MLS for twenty years consistently competing and winning trophies.

Yet, a team with no history can swing in with a great location and be outselling them.

Do you think results in coming years will affect these numbers much one way or the other for either Los Angeles club?

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pics or it didn't happen :D

That's actually a lower number than I expected, given all the positive talk we got from the prior leadership. Though if you add in the C38 tickets on top of that its not that far off.

14. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year's disaster turned a lot of people off, and it has seriously hurt renewals as a result. So it is plausible that STH numbers have fallen.

The lack of a major striker signing has also made a lot of people withhold buying tickets this year. It's actually the most frequent complaint ticket reps get when they call people.

JasonMa repped this.
  15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are to believe the now deleted Paulson tweet, the Galaxy focus on group sales rather than season tickets. So the question becomes, is the difference largely the function of a sales decision by the Galaxy not to go after season tickets? If they were to focus on season tickets, could they get significantly more than they currently have.

16. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bill Manning at the TFC breakfast this morning said they will be at 25k season ticket members this year

Revolt repped this.
  17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He has been saying that for a while now.....did you get the sense that when he says it now (2 weeks from the home opener) they are actually at the number or are they still aiming st it?

18. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I didn’t know 6,700 people hated themselves that much. :p

Centennial and NashSC repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    54,000 hate themselves enough to show up at Auzten in the fall, 6,700 doesn't seem that surprising. ;)

20. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    After the last couple of seasons, I can’t find much to argue about in that statement.

JasonMa repped this.
  21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It took about half as long to drive from the Coachella Valley to LAX yesterday afternoon as it did to fly from LAX to Warsaw overnight and I'd do that flight again before that drive. I ended up driving past Carson on the way and I thought about how much you need to love that team to ever watch them play in person on a weekday. I can see why LAFC now appeals to many.

22. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just received this email from LAFC (I don't know why as I did not sign up for anything). Anyway, here 'tis:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We are proud to announce that we have sold out of all Full Season Memberships for the Club’s Inaugural Season.

“The passion and enthusiasm of our supporters has truly been special,” LAFC Owner and President Tom Penn said. “Together with our community, we continue to make soccer history in the heart of Los Angeles."

17,500 Full Season Memberships were sold for the 22,000-seat Banc of California Stadium, set to open on April 29.

Limited tickets are available to purchase for 5-Match Partial Plans and Groups. (etc.)

bgix, Revolt, Lancaster FC and 1 other person repped this.
  23. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I just got my Timbers season ticket package, and in the "thank you" letter, they mention the waiting list as 14,000+.

NashSC repped this.
  24. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going on year 4 on that list! I may be retired from the Marine Corps before I get my chance.

25. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Apparently, Atlanta's "full stadium" home opener vs. DC United is now a sellout. The only regular tickets left are either single seats or standing room. So, it will be another game of 71,000+.

Len and mbar repped this.