New advertising bar

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by kanonier, Jun 20, 2008.

1. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm sorry, but that new advertising bar after the first post of every page of every thread is terrible. I love BS, and I pay $$ each year to be a supporter and get a supposedly 'ad-free' experience (and to support BS in general).

Is that ad bar a mistake, or is that here to stay?

2. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The only cure is ads under each and every post! lol

3. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Another reason I won't give a dime to this site. Advertising shoved down our throats like that sucks. I understand this is a business for Huss but damn, that's overkill.

4. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What's the other reason?

5. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you pay for the ad-free subscription, you should contact the help desk (link at bottom of every page). I just checked with my non-premie account (I had one waaaaaaaaaay back when there was a tech problem, at it hasn't been deleted...) and there were ads. As I am now using my premie account, I have no ads.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently. Nevermind the fact that there's at least three different operating systems (Mac, Windows, Linux), and various subsets of those systems (different versions of MacOS, Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Home, several different flavors of Windows Vista, and who knows how many flavors of Linux). If you really wanted to get geeky, someone could complain that BigSoccer doesn't function properly on their iPhone, or other smart phone.

Throw in the different browsers people use such as, IE 6, IE 7, Firefox 2.0.0.X, Firefox 3, Firefox alpha/beta/nightly builds, Safari, etc. Throw in the different third-party add-ons and extensions that people add to various web browsers too.

Throw in people's general stupidity when it comes to the internet. (You downloaded spyware. Don't complain to use when BS is slow.)

It's really no surprise things don't work right 100% of the time for 100% of the users.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you subscribe to cable or satellite TV? If you do, you're probably paying at least $35 a month for basic service, and look at all the ads you get. If you want a premium service such as HBO, that's another $11 or so a month, for ad-free TV.

Add to that another $40-$50, if not more, for internet service, and look at all the ads you're paying to look at, all over the internet.

Along the lines of "paying for what is free", how much bottled water do you go through?

Perhaps it's just my opinion, but my plan works out to something like 7 cents a day. It's more than well worth the ad-free environment at that price.

But, hey, if you'd rather complain about mouse-over ads that make sound, and various "shoot the terrorist"-type ads, be my guest.

10. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the placement is what sucks. Why not at the top of the page? We're going to see it one way or another, so it's pointless disrupting threads with the ads smacked right in the middle. Things like this might actually deter people from purchasing whatever from BS. Then you have the guy who wants to upgrade his status to paying member, but may be hesitant because of the possibility of ads or whatever being shoved in his/her face.
    And why does it have to repeat itself? How about different ads, wouldn't that make more sense?

11. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    The more intrusive ads that appear, the more people are going to turn to ad-blocking software, thus simultaneously reducing the number of clicks those ads generate and driving some who would otherwise pay for membership to ad-blockers instead. Lose-lose situation it seems to me.

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Would an ad-blocker work on this type of ad?

13. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    christ thats annoying....

maybe if you guys focused on turning the big soccer shop into a decent online business,you would'nt have to plaster these crap adverts in the middle of posts for your crap shop....

14. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    It blocks the images, so all ones sees are the text links. Still annoying, but less so than without the blocker.

15. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It still disrupts the flow of threads. It's like an attempt at subliminal advertising. lol

I think maybe it's time to retire from BS and look for greener pastures, or fields in this case.

16. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is quite annoying

17. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You like it, don't lie.

18. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    HORRIBLE.

Were those the advertisers that wanted no more sexy pics? :rolleyes:

HORRIBLE!

19. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Get rid of it, its as annoying as Davis123.

20. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Fix this.

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    What crap this is.

22. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't usually have too many problems with the way the site is designed, but I really dislike the placement of the new BS Shop adbar. I saw that same ad all the time on top of threads. I even visited the BS Shop (though they couldn't do authentic MLS fonts so I had to go elsewhere) and have bought things from them. But, as one poster has already said, the placement of this ad would seem to be counter-productive.

23. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Valid point.

24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    This truly is awful. I hope it's a mistake.

25. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You better pull out the red card on this one ref.