Nevermind the bollocks, its The David Jones Thread!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Re: The new Roy Keane is in United's midst

The article is actually not very good, but it does make a few decent points. The Glazer bit is obviously propaganda...a dig from the writer.

Re: the players

D.Jones is the best CM through the reserves in years. He's better than Gibson and much more able in attack, but that leads to my next point. In an ideal world they would play together Gibson(Keane) and Jones(Scholes) they are not players that would compete for the same position. One does all his best work closer to the opposition box and the other is better breaking up plays and spraying the ball all over the place. Gibson is an excellent player, prodigious in fact, but he's not going to get his chances for at least another season. He's only 17 and you don't get debuts in the PL in CM at that age.

Campbell is usurping Blake as predicted. Sadly for Blake I think his own star is fading he does not look the player he did a year ago and I think that ankle injury is actually showing in his game and sharpness. Whilst Campbell goes from strength to strength.

Evans, Gibson and Campbell are exceptional talents. But Jones really is the cream of the crop par even with Rossi.

2. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, if you had been Fergie, who would you bring up next season? Of course depending on who we buy during the summer.. but say 2 good talented mids. Maybe not Riquilme and Gattuso.. But say.. Parker and Pederson?

Rossi to get some games in rotation. Then Jones? And Maybe Bardsley and Evans to start coming in in the back?

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

I would expect(hope) that both Jones and Rossi are first team squaddies next season.

Pique will also be in with a shout biut I doubt he'll be sitting on the 16 bench every week where the other two deserve it, literally.

Evans is only 17, too small for the EPL for now. He needs to fill out.

4. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mind seeing Jones go on his two loan spells this season as, even with the depleted midfield, I didn't think he was ready, yet. Jones didn't need the weight of expectation that he would have had to carry if he had been identified as a solution to our midfield problems.

Now that he had done his stints at Preston and in the Netherland, I expect Jones will have a real opportunity to be a key member of the team next season. Depending on purchases, I don't see Jones having a problem forcing his way into the rotation of attack-first central midfielders.

5. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland

Oh really? ;)

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

meh. find 3more! ;)

7. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clarified.

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Thrusting... Nice choice of words...

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

the exact same thing I was thinking...

although perhaps it could have been phrased...

Unless you manager enjoys thrusting onto young boys

the roles of men.

;)

10. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005

FYP ;) :p

11. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    From Gibson v. Fabregas to paedophilia in 5 posts - that's efficiency!

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thread jacking is an artform like Caligraphy or Curling. You wouldn't want to learn the Japanese Tea Ceremony from anyone but the Chinese, so if you wan't to improve your thread jacking, the United forum is really the only place to go.

13. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    It truly is an artform.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember that thread... it was a ********ing thing of beauty - like all good 2 person comedy sketches it was seemless and the chemistry was excellent. I'd pay money to see something like that acted out IRL.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the last reply in that thread is classic too.

16. kriele

kriele New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Holland
    David Jones is a promising player at NEC. But we all know that the Dutch league isn't the premierleague. NEC isn't Man United by far but it is too early to tell if Jones is Man United material or not.
    I think that an inbetween step would be good for Jones. A transfer to a topclub like Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV with first option for Man United to buy him back. The best option for him would be a club that plays championsleague. CL would be THE test for a promising player like Jones.

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    That is what I would imagine would happen, should he not live up to his potential.

18. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altogether now: Welcome newbie! :)

I think (hope) that Jones will be given every chance to make his mark at United next season. I'm not certain that United will learn anything more about Jones from additional loan spells.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Exactly. Regardless of the Eredivisie experience - Jones is a United academy product and captain of the reserves, he's already shown the potential to be something good to great in the prem based on what he did while he was here. From what we've seen he's already better than any non Keane/Scholes CM we've employed thus far.

20. kriele

kriele New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Holland

Thank you and hi to you all!

I think man U could benefit enormously from a loan/temporarely transfer to a dutch topclub. The transision from a club like NEC to Man U could be too much at once and no one would benefit if Jones is just keeping the bench warm!

But on the otherhand I could be very wrong and Jones could be the rookie of the year next season!:)

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    he wouldnt get a place on Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord, or AZ Allkmaar.

22. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When in reserves, Jones was superior to everyone, save possibly Rossi, including players that have been in the first team. I don't think that he will be overwhelmed by playing for the first team.

23. kriele

kriele New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Holland

Some critics in Holland don't share your openinion. They think he's a good player for the dutch league but the absolute top like Man U would be a bridge too far.

But their is only one way to find out, isn't it!

24. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some critics in the Netherlands thought Kezman was good.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thats not fair LMAO...