Nevermind the bollocks, its The David Jones Thread!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    :D That''s the spirit. They'll more than appreciate you round here.. just be careful Zinn doesn't ask you if you have any Russian connections or a sister (don't ask :D )

2. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Err...right...

I'll say this right now, it's what most of you probably want to know.

He's better than O'shae, that's for sure.

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Right on cue:

Manchester United midfielder David Jones believes he is now ready for Premiership football.

The former FA Youth Cup-winning captain was initially loaned to Preston this term but United felt he would obtain more benefit from joining NEC Nijmegen in a surprise temporary move in January.

Having impressed at both clubs, particularly with NEC, the 21-year-old is hopeful he will be considered for first team action at Old Trafford next term.

United are woefully short on central midfield talent and Jones is ready to make the step up after playing in pre-season last year.

"Personally, I hope to return to Manchester United," he revealed to Algemeen Dagblad.

"I have the feeling I am ready for The Premiership.

"I don't want to play for a team in a lower English division.

"If I get the guarantee from Sir Alex Ferguson that I will get a serious chance, I want to return. "If not, I would like to stay at NEC."

Jones has been a big hit in Holland, scoring six goals in 13 games in De Eredivisie, but will have a key meeting with Ferguson about his future on Tuesday.

--

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Re: Interviewed

I think everyone on here already knew that much. ;)

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Joep, where does Tininho play? According to the NEC site and the line-ups they post, I assume he is a LB/ML. Is that the case and if so, does that mean Jones is played in the centre when Tininho is used in midfield? Just trying to figure things out from the following thread:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7924340&postcount=405

6. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    To give you a clue, Jones could be playing at Man U next season, Tininho will be playnig at Ado den Haag. Jones plays ahead of him on the midfield, left or center /left however you want to look at it. Leiwakabessy is NEC's leftback (and he's a good one. He was recently suspended, so Tininho filled in for him, and Jones started in midfield like he usually does. His playing is not dependant on Tininho

7. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Here's another update out of the cold, cold Netherlands on your favorite prospect, David Jones.

I went to see NEC- Heerenveen today (4-1, my NEC-supporting friend was estatic of course, and rightfully so, they played good football) And Jones was excellent. He could use a little more speed, but his short passing play is outstandig, he had a few dangerous shots and a nice little solo all early in the first half. A good free kick that just sailed over the bar too.

He played left of center midfield again, and he could use a little more speed with the ball (not running, but turning and the likes) but I guess thats what he is in Holland for.

In the second half, he was quicker on the ball and set up several quick breaks. All around, he was good, but not up to what I guess are Man U standards. My advice: Leave him at NEC for a year, he'll get faster with the ball on his feet, then call him back.

Now I bought a monthly magazine today, in it is an article on English players who play on loan in Holland. Jones is one of them, so i'll translate the article for you maybe tommorow, now i'm too tired

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for the update Joep. I wouldn't be against Jones staying another year as well, if we weren't in such dire shape in midfield. Its highly likely that he'll return to play behind Paul Scholes as our primary playmaker in the midfield.

In a perfect world we'd pick up a couple quality CMs and we could leave Jones to perfect his game at NEC but I'm afraid he'll have to do with the occasional start at United. Hopefully he can get what he needs from the remaining games.

9. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Hey, Talpa (Dutch TV) is showing the highlights of tonights game right now, NEC - Heerenveen hasnt been on yet, their doing the first game now.

To see them, go to www.talpa.tv and click on orange letters that say: vanaf 18:00 uur Talpa TV live. be quick though

EDIT: I see he got a nice assist too. But can you believe that ref didn't send that goalkeeper off?!

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    First of all... thanks a bunch.

Now. Onto what I've seen of Jones. Is it just me or does this kid play like Paul Scholes with Rooney's cheek? He made a few excellent well weighted and well timed passes. Alot of player can make the pass get to the player, but they often make it too soon, or too late. He doesn't have this problem. I'd take him over Fletcher, O'Shea and Giggs in CM right now.

If Fergie sees footage of his play at NEC there's no way he leaves him there another season.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah, I couldn't believe that... clearly he took the player out.

12. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Keep watching, RBC-PSV is on in a minute, and Alex (who Chelsea unfortunatly owns) has hit another one of his trademark screaming hard free kicks.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    cool... will do.

christ... farfan's volley :eek:

buy him now Fergie!!! (we couldn't use him unfortunately)

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Jones did pretty well. He hit a 30yd freekick just wide and was involved in quite a lot of the play early on. The keeper saved a few shots from him and others were blocked by the opposition. Jones was involved in the move that resulted in the penalty and a great run from deep allowed him to give an easy assist for one goal. Didn't see anything on the defensive side from him, so I've no idea how he does in that regard. Good stuff Joep. Thanks for the update. :)

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    my word! i don't know how/why the ball didn't burst the net from that fk. I've never actually seen a shot keep rising until it got to the net AND go into the net, it was absolutely unsaveable.

16. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    You are very welcome. He doesnt have to do a whole lot on the defensive side. That guy with the long blonde hair does most of that, van der Doelen...or Doeluh!!

By the way those orange guys just went down a league :)

yeah, Alex and Farfan are pretty good. I'd like to see them both at PSV a buit longer, but anywhere but at chelsea really

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Hi Joep,

Any updates? I've been keeping up with Nec latest results. They seem to be in a bit of a slump. :( how's our Jones doing?

18. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Hey man, sorry but I've been rather busy lately. NEC hasnt been doing that good. They just missed the play-offs for a UEFA cup ticket in the final stage of the final match. Jones has missed a match, I believe, and in the match he did play, at least from the reports I've read, he's been playing decent, but maybe a bit too flashy

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the update... any ideas where we might be able to keep track of NEC & Jones on an English-language website?

20. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    The new Roy Keane is in United's midst

Just saw this over there.

21. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The new Roy Keane is in United's midst

Damn it Fergie.. give the kids a chance next season..

22. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I don't see how Glazer can be blamed if David Jones does not get a chance. If Glazer is money-pinching then all the more reason for United to use Jones if the club really thinks he can be a midfield great, rather than pay huge money on Diarra for example.
    Similarly for the likes of Spector and Blake. If United really think they are good enough then they will get a chance. Financially it's got to be the best policy.
    I have a slight feeling that Gibson is a better prospect than David Jones, and Campbell is a better prospect than Blake. But I have not seen enough of them all to be making such pronouncements.
    Let's hope the United coaching staff make the right decisons.

23. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I agree. That just seems like something people are trying to dig up as much as possible against the Glazers. The youth would be cheapest (in wages and transfers, of which there are none) to keep at the club if they have talent.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

That's more than a bit harsh considering what Ferguson and the rest of our staff have already stated about Jones.