Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    many of them, his.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

chaski repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was an article the other day that pointed out, it was the way they did it that's the real problem. Nobody was ever asked if they wanted to leave the single market and, if they had been, they'd have had to explain what it was first.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a real pity there wasn't an Opposition party dedicated to explaining this all clearly.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problems weren't explained? Er... I think they were.

The problem was one part of the meeja either pretended it was all lies and the other part continued their chicken little 'sky is falling' bullshit which allowed them to get away with it.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    We were told unequivocally by the Leave campaign that there were no plans to leave the Single Market.
    Cameron (or it may have been Osbourne) did actually point out that we would almost certainly have to leave both the Customs Union and Single Market for the Brexit unicorns to materialise, and the was, as usual, dismissed as Project Fear.
    The ultimate problem is that nobody was willing to hold Johnson, Gove, Farage etc to account for their lies and false promises, which were plastered all over the media.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, the 'brexit means brexit' bullshit started after the vote as far as the leavers were concerned.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As i understand it, many of the people involved with vote leave also believed they would be staying in the single market.

This seems to have been based on the misunderstanding that the UK public servants would knuckle down to the hard work of hammering out a new relationship with the EU

What happened instead was increasing civil war within the Tory parliamentary party where ever harder brexit became the key to political power.

So in a real sense, starting the revolution soon led to places that key participants had not planned on.

lanman and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Proably a sizeable chunk, but then there were the likes of Johnson and Farage who would say whatever they needed to get what they wanted.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Many did but many didn't. TBH some of them didn't seem to understand what the single market and customs union were anyway.
    And if there'd been clear political direction I'm sure they would have done, but... :(
    Exactly.

The problems didn't become apparent until May's 'brexit means brexit' nonsense because it made it obvious that she had absolutely ZERO intention of confronting the 'Farage-lite' head-bangers in her own party. Many of them were almost like the northern Ireland protestants and their line of 'no ******* surrender'.

If she'd been prepared to work with opposition parties, (as she had to eventually anyway when her own lot were cutting up rough which is why I reject that this is somehow someone else's fault), we could likely have able to come to a joint position which meant leaving the EU but effectively remaining in the single market and customs union.

Unfortunately, (for her), that would have meant her getting something through largely with labour, liberal and SNP votes and she was too much of a political coward to do it, despite her alleged 'love' for her country :rolleyes:
    For me, the tragedy of all this is that we had the worst PM, (till then), in our history when Cameron decided not to actually ASK people what they wanted to do regarding 2 of the 3 aspects of the EU they were considering changing... EU membership, SM membership and and CU membership.

We then had the new worst PM in our history, (since the guy immediately before), who was a chicken-shit who wouldn't do what was best for the country rather than the tories.

We followed THAT up by the new, new worst PM since the woman immediately before him and the guy immediately before her.

So while it's fair to criticise other politicians, (including labour but then you'd have to add the liberals and SNP for accuracy), this should really be laid solely at the tories who prioritised immigration over pretty much EVERYTHING else.

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is right, I just wanted to vent that Labour should be, right now, shouting "WE TOLD YOU SO" and they can't because they kept trying to appease to Northern English and Northern Welsh Leave voters who have just left the party.

superdave and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :giggle:

Fair enough :)

I get what you're saying but, in all honesty, it's been just as much of a problem, (and was more of a problem after the vote), that some on the right of labour and the LibDems kept maintaining that the voters had 'got it wrong' and had to do their homework again... sorry, I meant 'confirm their intentions with another vote'.

THAT was a difficult 'sell' because it was directly contrary to what was said by the same people, (as well as everyone else), before the vote. It would have been better to have coalesced around a middle course and made that the opposition line.

So whether some have left the party, (I assume you meant stopped voting for us in 2019 rather than left the party?), I think people will drift back over a period as the political position stabilises.

More to the point the tories won't be able to continue their pretense that nothing will change when it already has. There's some evidence of that in recent polling I believe.

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's temping to see it all as inevitable but i think May's greatest mistakes were the snap election and exercising A50

If she doesn't do those 2 things, she was in a much stronger position,

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I think this is the main problem.

15. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    You have to include the Lancaster House speech, where she declared a full, hard Brexit.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I went down a rabbit hole on this via a long term euro-sceptic tory who was involved with leave

There was large group of middle of the road tories who favoured the single market, or some renegotiated version. A number of those people voted remain because while they don't like the EU, they didn't see that it was worth the hassle. These people basically believed that the Sir Ivan Rodger's would sort it and the referendum was the end of the matter as far as they were concerned.

Then there was a bunch of fantasists who like you say, didn't understand properly. People like David Davis and Nick Timothy who are two of the major architects of the May fiasco.

Then there are the cynical ideologues like Classic Dom, Gove, Boris, who saw Brexit as a way to take control of the party and bring May down. They don't really care what Brexit is.

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabinet reshuffle -- Who Cares Edition

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    A couple of concerns. Nadine Dories at Culture, probably to screw up the BBC even more. Raab at Justice and Lord Chancellor - a man who "doesn't believe in the Human Rights act". I would say Truss is also laughably out of her depth in the Foreign Office, but anyone who would take a job for Johnson would be.

By and large though, it was sacking/demotion for the most unpopular among Tory members.

Also, Gove has been given a brief to "fix" the food supply chains. Not sure why this is needed, as Briitain held all of the cards heading into those sunlit uplands.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    True - that is when she said they were leaving the single market

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hilarious how Raab is obviously too much of a powerful flunky to sack, so instead he gets demoted to deputy PM :ROFLMAO:

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Johnson's problem is that if he says 'I'm sacking you coz you're fecking useless' to anyone they'd ask him if he'd looked in the mirror lately.

It's only people like Gavin 'no-mates' Williamson he can sack because everyone detests that bastard even more than Johnson.

Well, him and people like Jenrick who even his wife and kids aren't too sure who he is.

lanman and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What's frightening is the rise of someone as mediocre as liz from marketing to replace Raab who was already terrible

even compared to 2 years ago, the tory lineup is diabolical

Imagine being a foreign counterpart and the UK Foreign Secretaries were Boris, Hunt, Raab and then Truss :ROFLMAO:

lanman repped this.