Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Using your legendary powers of prediction, no doubt :D

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more people who see you as the blustering fraud you are, the better.

charlie15 repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you still butthurt because I refused to give a guarantee of electoral success for labour in the last UK GE?

Jesus, dude, get over yourself.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's because everything you say might as well have been said by John Madden.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maximus is no conservative and has no love for Boris.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    There is every chance that Johnson knew exaclty what the response to his request for calls with Merkel and Macron would be, and it's simply a tactic designed to generate the exact anti-EU responses that came out, and allow him to say the EU forced us into No Deal.

roby, crazypete13 and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As usual the UK is negotiating with itself

The whole thing is so dishonest, and always has been

LastBoyscout and charlie15 repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The thing about the call is the Shotgun Uschi and Barnier represent the EU27

If Merkel and Macron go in over the top, and reach a deal what should the other 25 countries make of that?

Now of course this is exactly the thing the UK was used to being able to do when it was a member. Get together with the other heavy hitters at the last minute and work out a compromise. Sir Ivan wrote about this dynamic.

The problem is, as also pointed out by Sir Ivan, you can't do this when you are not a member.

So of course as one of the biggest members, the UK could lean on smaller members and form a power block with the likes of France and Germany.

That route is not longer available since A50

SamScouse and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So here we are on the brink of disaster after 4 years of absurd Tory infighting and 3 Prime Ministers

But it's all Merkel's fault and Britain never never never shall be slaves

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, I think that's more than likely.

He must have known, (assuming he's not completely puddle), that he was never going to get anywhere... that probably wasn't the point of the call.

I'm guessing he's positioning himself, (in his eyes), to be able to claim it's the other sides fault if it fails or that he's managed to seize victory from the jaws of defeat if he then caves in which is pretty much his signature move.

The thing is, Johnson's a weak and vacillating man and his premiership is as one would expect if they've been following the guy for an extended period. When choices become hard he sometimes passes it across to someone else or, if he HAS to make a difficult call, he takes the easy way out.

That's what happened when he was stuck between his hardline brexit people and the DUP... he caved in to people who had the whip-hand over him at the time, leading to this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55277736

We're busily erecting border controls between one part of the so-called 'United Kingdom' and another. I saw Michelle O'Neill interviewed the other day. She couldn't stop grinning... and who can blame her.

That was my point about him being made to look a fool... it makes it harder for him to do what he should do, (what he probably wants to do), and give way.

11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is no chance. He acted like a moron and an oaf because he's a moron and a oaf. He's not playing 9 dimensional chess. He just has apologists making excuses for him, and they would have done so no matter what he did.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ivan Rogers was on Sky News this morning...

As he says there. the whole point of brexit is to be able to diverge. Otherwise, why are you doing it? Of course, that's why it's a bloody stupid idea in the first place.

He's also asked there about the EU's view of Johnson. The thing I always think of when I think about him is this...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ris-johnson-plot-attack-reporter-darius-guppy

“He went quite a way along the line of plotting to get me beat up. He didn’t dismiss it from what I gather … From reading the transcript, he was well prepared to help Guppy find my address and for Guppy to then get me assaulted.”

On the taped call, Guppy tells Johnson he wants to scare Collier by getting heavies to give him “a couple of black eyes” and a “cracked rib”. Appearing to indicate he is happy to help supply Collier’s address, Johnson is heard saying at the end of the call: “OK, Darry, I said I’ll do it. I’ll do it, don’t worry.”

THAT is the guy who's our present PM :(

Anyway, going back to the current situation and the level playing field stuff, TLDR had a good vid on this stuff the other day...

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Uh huh!

Back onto ignore you go :)

Maybe when you can learn to address the points at issue instead of 'playing the man' things might change. Until then, BYEEEE!!! :D

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He also has people around him who, whilst they're not the brightest bulbs in the set, probably aren't as daft as he is.

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, they are awful. His only requirement for picking them was loyalty to the hardest of Brexits.

charlie15 repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So he confirms exactly what I remembered

When you are a 3rd country, you are never going to be able to sit down with the leaders and divide the EU

That is different to when the UK was a member - and thus was on the other side of the fence

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #6367 Naughtius Maximus, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Yeah, I've heard him say that before. That's partly why I say that a lot of this stuff from Johnson is theatre for the rubes.

As he says, there obviously are issues around implementing and managing the LPF but that it's a political issue that needs to be sorted out 'philosophically', as much as anything, before the negotiators come up with anything in the way of practicalities.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyway, on we go...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55292890

The UK and EU have agreed to carry on post-Brexit trade talks after a call between leaders on Sunday.

In a joint statement, Boris Johnson and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said it was "responsible at this point to go the extra mile".

The pair discussed "major unresolved topics" during their call.

But they agreed to tell negotiators to carry on talks in Brussels "to see whether an agreement can even at this late stage be reached".

Earlier this week, Mr Johnson and Mrs von der Leyen set a deadline of Sunday to decide whether to abandon negotiations or keep them going.

The PM is now holding a discussion with his cabinet to talk to them about the decision.

That last bit is interesting because, don't forget, he STILL has to get this through parliament and it seems it's not just the hardliners that can get 'antsy' about things...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...fury-over-johnsons-nationalist-no-deal-brexit

Boris Johnson faced a rising tide of anger from senior Tories and business leaders last night as he appeared ready to embrace a no-deal Brexit and prepared Royal Navy gunboats to defend UK fishing waters.

With the prime minister and the European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, due to decide on Sunday whether to halt stalled talks and make the momentous decision to accept no deal – an outcome that would lead to tariffs and quotas on UK-EU trade and rising prices – Johnson’s handling of the final stage of negotiations has caused astonishment in his own party, and the EU.

But the behaviour of the Johnson government drew outraged responses from pro-Remain Tory grandees. Also writing in today’s Observer, former deputy prime minister Michael Heseltine says of Brexit and the slide towards no deal: “This government will be – and should be – held responsible for quite simply the worst peacetime decision of modern times. I know personally of members of the cabinet who believe this as firmly as I do. I cannot understand their silence.”

Of course, nobody ever accused tory MP's of having a backbone so maybe they'll start to cut up rough more vocally... but I wouldn't bet on it.

What an absolute fecking shambles :(

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - which is really the problem all along

The UK wants to diverge, but also doesn't want to give things up, or accept those consequences and start planning for them over time.

Instead it is assumed everything can be sorted in a knife-edge negotiation

Everything would have been much easier if the UK had just decided what it wanted 2 years ago, and started a transition to that end point.

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's try to be honest with each other. I'm not on your ignore list.

21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can't help it....:)

22. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, the entire country is either fatalist about this no-Deal OR swallowing the media narrative about negotiations. It's as though the world's greatest country just came to a grinding halt for no reason at all.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't try and sucker me in again. That's how you caught me last time and I won't get caught like that again.

Well... OK... I might, but not for a while.

25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I see you've been in a bit of a tussle! :p

[​IMG]

song219 and Naughtius Maximus repped this.