Networking problem

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jacen McCullough, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Hey folks,

I used to have Comcast cable internet, but they don't have that where I moved a couple of months back. I signed up with Verizon DSL, and I've gotten it connected, but I can't seem to get the wireless network part of it up and running. When I plug the ethernet cable into my Linksys Wireless G router, both my laptop and my desktop show that they are receiving a strong signal from my Linksys network, but I can't connect to the net. I went in to Best Buy and asked one of their tech guys (who, hysterically, has to carry a plastic badge on his belt). The BB guy told me that it sounded like Comcast put in a Proxy that I would have to get rid of in order for the router and the receivers to work with the DSL service.

Two questions:

1- Is the BB guy right (not that I'd ever question a guy with a plastic police badge on his belt)?

and

2- If he is, how do I go about getting rid of the Comcast proxy (because there is no way in hell that I'm paying Best Buy $160 clams to do it for me).

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You probably need to make some changes to your Linksys router. Try resetting it to its "factory defaults." If that doesn't work, call Verizon and tell them what you're trying to do.

Typically, you get to your Linksys router configuration page by going to http://192.168.1.1

The default user id is empty, and the default password is "admin"

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for heaven's sake, change the password. It doesn't even need to be that strong, but you should change the password immediately, especially if you have wireless set up. I can't tell you how many default setups I can access from my home. I could really mess up somebody's network if I was an evil person.

As for your specific problem... your desktop machine can access the network, but (a) not your laptop over wireless, and (b) not your laptop via a wired connection? Assuming your desktop machine is working, if (b) is true, you have a laptop configuration issue. If (a) is true there are a lot of things that could be going wrong, but let's get the (b) condition working first.

I just reread your post, and it seems there is another interpretation - that you can only connect to the internet when your computer is hooked directly to the modem, and if you install the router in between it breaks the connection. If that's the case, that's easily fixable.

Here's how your system should be wired:
    [​IMG]
    The connections between the router and the computers can be wired or wireless - you should do the router configuration via a wired connection (it'll be harder to screw up).

If you are wired up that way, then from one of the computers go to the administration web page (see Mr. Eritrea's instructions), and ensure the router has your username and password so it can dial in to your DSL provider. DSL is typically "PPP" or similar terminology. The documentation for the router should be of great use in its configuration.

Once you get the wired network up and running, then you can worry about configuring the wireless.