Netherlands vs Spain, WC Group Game nr. 1/3.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jun 13, 2014.

?

How will this match end?

1. A big win for Spain (3 goal difference).

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. A small win for Spain.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. A draw.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. A small win for Netherlands.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. A big win for the Netherlands (3 goal difference).

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    totally agreed on the coaching

some points on the game

-Sneijder should have had a goal in the first 7 minutes---Spain wants to play 1-0 and score late--that would have forced them to open up early
    -Spain ran out of gas once the score was 2-1--they could not mount any sort of attack without leaving the back unready and unsteady--they quit after 3-1
    -Robben was 5 yards behind I think Ramos and ended up 3 yards ahead on his goal--pretty good speed
    -the DeVrij goal-RVP would have got called if the Japanese ref was in charge-
    -
    -Croatia got jobbed everywhere yesterday--but that's another game

2. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Me! :D

Man, what a game! Such a roller coaster. From thinking it's over like 2012 after a soft penalty, to getting chills and shedding a tear or two in the second half! Van Gaal deserves so much credit for finding a system that works for all our best players (Robben, Van Persie AND Sneijder).

All three of our CBs made at least one bad mistake that either did or could have resulted in a goal against. But they also made some really clean challenges to deny them easy goals.

Del Bosque got completely outcoached by Van Gaal. You could tell by his subs that he really had no idea how to turn the game around, and was just throwing different players out in the hopes that it would somehow work - It didn't.

I thought Clasie was supposed to start this one? JDG2 just doesn't cut it. Even Wijnaldum seemed to play with more balls when he came on. Though to be fair, we were feeling pretty comfortable by the time he came on. Still liked what he brought a bit more though.

The crazy thing is that all three of Robben, Van Persie, and Sneijder had at least one clear cut scoring chance that didn't go in.

In the next games, we need to keep on the front foot. Keep the ball in the area where we're strongest, which is up front. That doesn't mean we have to play possession football, but rather get the ball up to the front men as quickly as possible and punish the other team. Because our defense is CRAP and we can't afford to have them under too much pressure

Epitome990, Orange14 and DRB300 repped this.
  3. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Legendary win. Congrats!

4. El Cid

El Cid Member

Jul 4, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from the goal onslaught, I was also very impressed with the fact we started to see better possession in the 2nd half. There were some nice moments of quick short passes to create space and confuse Spain's defenders and a lot of creative work on the ball. It was good Dutch football..

A very smart, tactical coach has watched Spain and dissected their weakness to come up with the plan to win today..

5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Great game, excellent result. RvP and Robben are class. 'Nuff said.

I've been critical to Daley Blind in Oranje shirt, especially with his ability (or, lack thereof) in supporting attack. But he delivered today. Excellent display by him, two delicate assists. Cillesen saving Silva's chip was very crucial. Absolutely the turning moment.

The three CB's did enough to repel Spain's attack. Some questionable moments and lack of understanding, work in progress. Nigel de Jong is a beast. JdG got sloppy too many times, probably the weakest link in team today, but he worked tirelessly chasing all loose ball.

Sneijder, aside from his breakthrough chance and his free-kick assists, was surprisingly quiet. Which is fine in a victory like this. Maybe next match it's his time to take in charge. :p

6. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He didn't stand out like he has in the past, but that's because other players finally stepped up to the plate. With RvP and Robben firing, it might be a good thing that Sneijder isn't being the star. But he certainly wasn't invisible. He kept things together in midfield. He also fed Blind a lot down the left, who could have easily been MOTM if RvP's goal didn't hypnotize everyone lol
    here's the players' stats. Sneijder with two key passes.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-06-13-esp-v-ned/chalkboard

7. El Cid

El Cid Member

Jul 4, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't say that I had doubt about Daley Blind, as I really can't say I've seen him in international matches, but it's difficult to not be enthusiastic based on the ball paled to vp on the first goal.

8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unbelievable!!!!!

This scoreline is insane!!!

9. itysoccervideo

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
  10. Gedonder

Gedonder Guest

This is insane. Nobody expected this to happen with all those Eredivisie players in the defense. I mean let's be honest here. :)

11. #10Ibrakadabra

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Congratulations! I hope Brazil gets also destroyed by Robben and van Persie!
    Spain deserved it!

Greetings from Germany!

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My God that was amazing. Haven't felt this euphoric about football since 2008 vs Italy and France.

Me too cause we'll only meet them in the finals. :)

13. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great win.

Even Stefan de Vrij scored against Spain. STEFAN DE VRIJ!!!

14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    images.jpeg

Slept with a smile HUP

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So we only have to beat Chile now to finish 1st in our group (I think) :unsure:
    Tiebreaker goes to goal differential, I doubt Spain can outscore us now

16. Gedonder

Gedonder Guest

Yeah, it's crazy. This is good news for Feyenoord.

Still can't believe we actually won 5-1.

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. Gedonder

Gedonder Guest

Thanks mate. And I hope you guys destroy Portugal on monday. Nothing against the Portuguese, they are just annoying to play against, lol.

19. Gedonder

Gedonder Guest

A draw is enough if Chile doesn't beat Spain. Of course we've to win the Australia game first, and that's going to be a hard game, believe it or not. The Aussies are fighters and will now defend like crazy after they've seen us against the Spanish. Louis van Gaal knows this as well of course, so we'll start most likely with a 4-3-3 system.

Lens on the left, Robben on the right, v. Persie center, and Sneijder on 10.

20. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Congratulations a great win for you guys. It was a fantastic game for your fans. I loved watching it wow!

21. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
  22. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just a sensational performance vs Spain by Robin VAN PERSIE 1st goal just brilliant!!
    Wanna see more of that from RVP in World Cup 2014? Twitter era is here...let Robin VAN PERSIE know...
    https://twitter.com/Persie_Official

23. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Gaal looking might brilliant right now?

24. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great coaching performance and tactical mastery by Van Gaal his adjustments and overall game plan was flawless. I felt silva missed opportunity when Spain could have went up 2-0 was the difference In the match. Van Persie and Robben were class, Blind really surprised me as did the defense I had my doubts with the domestic Dutch league defenders but they came through. Only negative was De Guzman. Revenge is sweet. A result of 3 points against Australia is needed the Aussies played better then expected yesterday.

25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States