Netherlands vs Costa Rica - WC Quarter Final

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 2, 2014.

?

What is going to happen in this game?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2014.
  1. Big win for Costa Rica (3 goal difference).

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Small win for Costa Rica.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. This will end in penalty's and looking at the game vs Greece, CR will win it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Penalty's, but Netherlands will win it, like the last time in Euro 2004 vs Sweden.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Small win for Netherlands.

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Smashing win for la Naranja Mecánica .

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Great post I totally agree.

3. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  5. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    There was the trash talk but all also him shaking the nets and the crossbar which would put you off massively when trying to focus on the goal. When you look at the camera angle with krul on the line the goal looks so small!

6. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Totally agree. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't pissed off. Yes, unprofessional but totally understandable and he apologized for it.

7. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes the poor scared little Costa Ricans must have been suffering waking nightmares ! "Mummy mummy! The net is moving! There is a monster in the goal!"

Come off it!

8. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So my 2 cents in no particular order:

1. yes I think LVG made a mistake keeping RvP on - should probably have subbed him around the 60th. OTOH, Depay was playing even worse so better sub would have been for him. Lens was a gamble, was bad. No guarantee that Huntelaar scores either.
    2. Without LVG, we're not in the semis. And I mean based on his earlier decisions in the tournament, not the one putting Krul in which was ballzy (and risky). Given that we're in knockout, I'd rather see Krul start going forward.
    3. Be happy, we're in the semis! 4 weeks ago, who the hell thought that we'd be there?
    4. Going 120 vs CR not ideal but not end of world either. Sometimes obstacles get put in the way.
    5. Lord I hope Arjen keeps playing this well for the next 2 games
    6. Sneijder played well vs CR, hopefully this continues.
    7. Just 2 more wins, please . . .

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We also hit the crossbar vs. Costa Rica not once, not twice, but 3 times.

Shouldve really been 2 or 3-0. Ah well, shit happens :)

windycity and Orange14 repped this.
  10. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm reading a lot of disrespectful comments in this thread..
    No, it wasn't that or players failed to hit the ball correctly (except RVP on one instance), it's not like van Persie, Robben, Depay and Sneijder were shooting balls out of the stadium, no it was the incredible costa rican goalkeeper. He was sublime, he was with some distance the best player on the field for 120 minutes. He and defenders worked their buts off to stop our attack, the off side trap that they used was incredible. Credits should be given where they are due people.

Also all this talk about benching RVP is ridiculous. It's not going to happen. Unless RVP himself decides that he can't play anymore. He is a player that can decide a game in one seconde of brilliance and 89 minutes of shit.

11. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    that was the best offside trap I've ever seen played, and not just that game!

12. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I found myself wanting to blame the AR for so many offsides calls, but every time they showed the replay, yup…offsides trap again. Costa Rica was very organized back there and the Oranje guys just weren't able to suss out when the trap would spring.

13. michaelwo

michaelwo Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Club:
    CD Huachipato
    You can make all the dismissive comments you like about criticism of Krul's behavior, but it remains that getting in the face of and trash talking players that have been on the pitch working their hearts out for well over 120 minutes when you come off fresh from the bench is cowardly and unsportsmanlike. You, the Dutch public, should let this goon and his coach know that there should be at least a modicum of sporsmanship in the game. And the ref should have stopped it of course.

14. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You probably think players are standing around each other quietly during corners for instance.

15. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Since when is telling a player that you know where he's going to shoot unsportsmanlike? Besides, penalties aren't about sportsmanship. They're keeper vs player, and they will do anything within the laws of the game to come out ontop. That includes getting into the head of the opponent

Brilliant Dutch and MrOranjeBal repped this.
  16. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Like..... Approaching the ball in one fluent motion......

17. michaelwo

michaelwo Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Club:
    CD Huachipato

Keep that up and you Dutch might come off the way you did in the final in 2010. Proud of that?

18. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It's odd but CR's offside trap could be part of the future of Dutch football. The clubs have struggled with the rules changes of 2005 since the offside trap was the backbone of our defensive play. CR proves it's possible to still use it on a high level. I hope the KNVB studies Pinto's tactical approach.

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  19. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lol

Brilliant Dutch and KPSmit repped this.
  20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Club: CD Huachipato.

Still a little sore about that 2-0 are we??

CanadaHolland repped this.
  22. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm sorry but I don't understand the remarks about unsportmanlike behavior at all. It's probably some cultural difference because mind games between keeper and penalty taker are perfectly acceptable in the Eredivisie.

From my point of view CR wanted to go to penalties the entire match because they felt that they had an advantage there. They had no intention to win the game during normal time, not even through counter attacks or set pieces. That is considered cowardly and unsportsmanlike by Dutch football standards. The keeper switch and Krul's performance unsettled them and their game plan unraveled. They got what they deserved.

23. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Isn't this a professional sport? In the highest level of sport? Sorry, but we aren't talking a 5-year old's twice a week league here...

Not to mention, he was hardly 'in his face' at all. It would be one thing if he got up in his face and punched him? Or broke his leg. We are talking about intimidating through 'trash talk'

24. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't forget by shaking the goalposts and net also!

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But this is exactly what Ajax play so it's not foreign to Dutch football.