Netherlands vs Australia - 18 June 2014, 18:00 CEST

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Quackmore, Jun 15, 2014.

1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Humiliating match. Don't feel taken serious. This is why starting slow is so important. Nobody was able to reach his own level. Sneijder, a player I love, I wanted to strangle him. Has he ever played a worse match? Never mind.

2. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As bad as de Jong was in the 1st 50, he was great in the last 40

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well they did just enough to win it. Nigelinho had a monster match on defense. Sure he's not great looking up the field but look at the tackles and box defense in the last 30 minutes, just immense. Bit of luck on Memphis's goal as the keeper should have saved it. Huntelaar or Lens will be in the middle against Chile now since van Persie drew a Yellow which was not a good call by the match official. Not sure about Cillessen today as he had to do as much kicking as he does with Ajax. Maybe Krul starts against Chile? de Guzman again did not impress. Sneijder has lost a crucial step and this is probably his last international duty.

We'll see what happens with Spain/Chile now.

4. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    maybe it's just me but i found it a bit classy by wijnaldum to not press and take the ball away from the gk who ran nearly to the middle of the pitch to kick it onto the dutch half. he could have been selfish and taken the ball away to add a 4th goal.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not yet though we still have a decent goal differential.

6. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #106 sonicdream, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Whew! What a match.

Made complete sense to me now. I'm really beginning to believe in vGaal.

To start with 4-3-3 is to underestimate Australia's intent. Socceroos showed up fighting for their lives, while it was obvious that contrary to what each player claimed, they were quite clearly still on Spanish cloud nine.

It was only in 2nd half vGaal went in for the kill with the 4-3-3, when AUS is slightly spent.

Very exciting game. I'm very, very satisfied.

I'm also very happy we got a tough opponent like this.

I hope BMI is ok

7. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As a side note, my wife is now a Daley Blind fan

I suspect it's not because of his footballing ability

sonicdream repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was thinking after the first half that Wijaldum should come on for him but then we would lose some creativity.

9. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nigelinho has to be my hero for the day !

10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Only second half, also he misplaced a vital pass for a dangerous turnover. Actually wakie wakie time only came after the Depay goal. So also he could not reach his own level by himself. Charging up mentally is probably the most important quality a player must have.

The whole team failed in this respect.

sonicdream repped this.
  11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ronaldo injured in training. Out of world cup:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/18/crist...portugals-world-cup-with-knee-injury-4767002/

Cristiano Ronaldo ‘ruled out of Portugal’s World Cup with knee injury’

Cristiano Ronaldo’s World Cup dream was left hanging in the balance after rumours surfaced from Brazil that the Portugal star will miss the rest of the tournament through injury.

The Real Madrid forward, who came into the competition nursing a knee probelm, withdrew from Portugal’s training session today with half an hour still to go.

Ronaldo sat on the sidelines with an ice-pack on his troublesome knee alongside the team’s physio after doing some work with his teammates.

Reports from Spain this morning claimed Ronaldo had ignored doctors’ advice to play in Portugal’s defeat against Germany on Monday, and is now being warned his career will be in danger if he does not rest for two months.

Following news that Ronaldo pulled out of training, news started emanating from Rio that Portugal’s worst fears were being realised

12. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just reviewed the scenarios

If Chile and Spain tie today then the standings look like this
    Spain 0-1-1
    Chile 1-1-0

If Chile loses to Holland and Spain beats Aussie then both are tied at 1-1-1. It would come down to goal differential.

If both teams tie against each other, but Chile wins next week then it doesn't matter what Spain does.

If Spain wins then
    Spain 1-0-1
    Chile 1-0-1

If Holland loses and Spain wins
    Holland 2-0-1
    Spain 2-0-1
    Chile 2-0-1

It would come down to goal differential, in which case the Dutch should win. They are +5 right now. I doubt Chile blows them out. Chile is +2 and Spain is -3. Spain is in deep trouble. I don't think they are capable of blowing anyone out. They don't have the clinical finishers that Chile and Holland do.

13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    De Guzman deserves to lose his place. Two bad matches in a row.

14. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    The 5-3-2 system didn't work when the opponent pushed so much high. First half was terrible. Good recognition by Van Gaal and the coaching team, and they surely brought the right player in to the mix. So glad that Depay made a difference, 1 assist and 1 goal. Deserved MoTM. Productive movements without stupid running into a brick a wall. RvP and Robben showed their class, once again. As did Nigel. A beast.

The rest of the team was mediocre. Sneijder and Janmaat were probably the two weakest links. Misplaced so many passes, and got always a step or two slower than opposing players. De Vrij caught ball watching in Cahill's goal, but what a shot that was. Overall, quite a bit of a letdown after a flying start, but not unexpected. Australia came out strong and played with guts. Hopefully this match brought the team back to earth, and they recognized they can no longer be complacent.

15. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ciao Portugal, great news for the US

16. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wow that sucks. lucky us might move on to the next round.

17. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Martins Indi has a concussion... He's out for now....

18. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Agreed. I remember that failed pass. Almost stopped my heartbeat.

Yes the team failed, in many regards. But they fought back, and they were unjustly awarded against a Janmaat penalty.Luck was also on our side. If down 3-1, I would not be too sure. But they needed exactly a match like this. A stern reminder that in this world cup, intensity and determination has to be of the highest order, if you really want to win.

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  19. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Blind played quite well too

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  20. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    De Jong was IMO fanatastic in the last few minutes but he was poor in the 1st half. He has 0 attacking qualities which always get exposed. In the 1st half he did nothing. As a non-footballing DM it is expected of him to be atleast be availaible for a pass, maintain possession and try to control the tempo, but he failed IMO in the 1st half and was only good for a tackle.

The midfield battle was poor. Oranje played like San Marino to Australia. There is nothing to rejoice when your midfielders cant play football and freaking Australia makes you look like a joke.

RVP out means Lens or Hunter starting. I hope a 4-3-3 is tried against Chile. 4-3-3 being offensive puts the opposition on thea back when helps to soak up pressure otherwise you're always against an attack in 5-3-2

21. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think this is another match in which we really missed having Strootman.

Orange14 repped this.
  22. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    [​IMG]

...and now just waiting for the complete annihilation of Spanje...hehe

23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Strootman has slow handling speed; that doesn't favor when playing against Spain & on the counter-attack. It would create a different set of problems.

24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who's gonna replace BMI?? I guess Veltman huh??

25. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I should probably say that we really missed having Strootman THIS match.