Netherlands vs Australia - 18 June 2014, 18:00 CEST

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Quackmore, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Previous games:
    10.10.2009 [​IMG] Australia - Netherlands [​IMG] 0:0
    06.09.2008 [​IMG] Netherlands - Australia [​IMG] 1:2 (1:1)
    04.06.2006 [​IMG] Netherlands - Australia [​IMG] 1:1 (1:0)

More info here.

2. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Gaal will surely switch to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for this game and I think BMI will be benched along with De Guzman, since he was probably the weakest link against Spain. I'd go for Depay instead of Lens, since Australia will likely park the bus and Depay is better at breaking open defences.

3. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Unlikely it will be this but I'd like to see:

---------------------------------Cillessen------------------------------

Janmaat--------------De Vrij-------------Vlaar----------------Blind

Robben----------------Clasie------------De Jong--------------Sneijder

---------------------Van Persie----------Huntelaar-------------------

4. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    we wont park the bus. i really wish we would as its our only tiny chance of getting anything out of this game but our manager will play the same way we did against Chile, direct and open

you guys will cut us to pieces everytime we try to venture outside of our half lol but oh well who knows maybe we can get really lucky.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think they will come out in the exact same formation except Clasie will be in for de Guzman. There's not a real good reason to change anything given they will want to play Chile the same way that they did Spain. Van Gaal also has a problem with Van Persie's Yellow Card and how that will be managed should be interesting.

6. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Australia is very good is set-pieces and playing 3 Midgets in Clasie, De Jong, Sneijder behind RVP, Robben, Lens/Depay could be suicide.

I'd rather play either of De Jong or Clasie and bring in Blind in the DM role with BMI @ LB. That gives muscle, physicality and aerial presence.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Netherlands will play 4-3-3 against Australia.

Lens-----RvP-----Robben

I hope to see Depay later on as well.

Agree with Clasie for de Guzman. JdG was one of the few bad players on the field for Netherlands vs Spain.

8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Another player not doing well against Spain is BMI. His luck is that his personality adds to the squad (BMI is a great guy) and Kongolo being green as he is.

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am still buzzing from the win. Still not feel like making an in depth analyses of the game and players.

Radu Razvan repped this.
  10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Australia is very strong and physical... It will make an interesting match as Netherlands always have a rough time playing against muscles. Need to up the tempo and let them chase the ball. I'd go with a 4-3-3, sacrifice one of the CB's for an extra offensive player in Lens or Depay. I'd go with Wijnaldum for JdG because of Wijnaldum's ability to penetrate to the box.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I still see nobody giving any 'good' explanation why van Gaal should change the formation. Australia may be strong and physical but if they don't have the ball they cannot do much damage offensively. The current 3-5-2 allows the Dutch team to utterly dominate the midfield against a team that has inferior ball handling skills.

12. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Australia plays a 4-2-3-1 and bypasses the center more than Spain. They are likely to have far less possession than Spain. Our team would have fewer opportunities to counterattack, while having less width. A 4-3-3 can keep the field wide to create space for Van Persie and Sneijder down the middle. In addition Australian wingers Oar and Leckie were clever in using the spaces left by the attacking fullbacks of Chile. I think a 4-3-3 will give more space for our creative players.

Still, there is a good reason to consider 5-3-2 as Vlaar would be free to act as a sweeper to plug the holes. Australia's plan A is to cross in to the box and some extra cover against long balls is worth considering. The Australians do press up high and our midfield isn't that great in possession. A 4-3-3 could be open to sudden breaks if the passing isn't accurate.

It will depend a lot on the expected game plan of Australia. Will they dare to play a high line and commit people forward in numbers? The game against Chile suggests they will.

zhuangzi and windycity repped this.
  13. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Me too but I will do it for you:

Everything is awesome!* Everything is cool when you're part of a team!**

*except de Guzman
    **this will make no sense unless you saw the Lego movie

14. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Uh oh yellow card. The correct term is "little person"

;-p

15. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There is no logic in playing 5-3-2. You get 0 Width in the game and offensively it is not amazing unless you're against a high possession team with a high line.

Australia can sit back and defend. Don't rule it out A. Draw will be a great result for them as they realistically have no chances to escape the group.

4-3-3 is a far superior formation with more range of passing lines and width. Rule 101 against park the bus team is you stretch the field and make it wider.

Anyways I think it is a general idea that try to make the field as wide as possible while attacking and narrow as possible while defending. 4-3-3 makes complete sense. 2 Maruading Wing-backs to give width. 2 Inverted Wingers who can play come inside and cause havoc or stay wide.

Get a couple of goals and get back to 5-3-2 and shut-up shop and counter with Lens, Robben, etc

MrOranjeBal and sonicdream repped this.
  16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Shouldnt the term "Never change a winning team" apply here??

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My problem with going back to a 4-3-3 is that inverted wingers tend to be ineffective against park the bus teams. They get double and triple teamed to keep them from cutting in. Robben was so effective playing up top, running through the middle; why put him out on the wing where a strong team like Australia can isolate him? All it takes is a ref that lets shit go for a physical team to stop good players

And on the other hand, if it's true that Australia will push forward and try to attack, then it makes a whole lot of sense to play RVP and Robben through the middle again to hit them on the counter. Also, the space that was created on the wing from having a narrow formation was well utilized by Blind, which created two of the goals.

Maybe switch to a 4-4-2 by pushing Blind up into midfield and having BMI slide across, but IMO switching systems from a no winger formation to a lone striker/winger formation, and then back again is too much to be doing mid-tournament. Players need consistency to go far. You can't get consistent if you completely alter your setup for each opponent. This 5-3-2/3-5-2 system is working. Lets build on that rather than change it up again. And TBH, I can't remember a single game under Van Gaal where we looked all that good offensively in a 4-3-3. It's simply not the formation that best suits our best players

Orange14 repped this.
  19. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    temperature prediction for tomorrow at the end of afternoon in Porto Alegre: between 7º and 9º C

should be a fast tempo match. Good end of autumn temperature. Luckily, the minimum temperature in the week (about 3ºC) will be in the morning from thursday, so until S.Korea plays Algeria temperature will have already raised a little bit again.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    After watching some 'rain forest' matches over the past several days this should come as a welcome relief to both the players and the supporters!

21. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nederlands training yesterday at Grêmio Arena. It seems that today a big group of dutch tourists will do for free the complete tour of the stadium. Very fair, considering the project started after extensive consulting with Amsterdam Arena Advisory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sonicdream repped this.
  22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Weather Channel site in the US says the high will be 71 F tomorrow which translate to 21.6 C which is still better than most of the matches played to date.

24. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #24 AcesHigh, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    You are right. I saw the time of the other group match, which however takes place in Rio.

The polar air mass is entering southern Brazil tomorrow... temperature will be dropping along the day, but probably won´t be much lower during the match.

25. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Climatempo.com.br gives maximum temperature tomorrow as being 16ºC
    http://www.climatempo.com.br/previsao-do-tempo/cidade/363/portoalegre-rs

same from weather.com
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Porto Alegre Brazil BRXX0186