Netherlands Antilles: no longer a contry, still a NT?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by EstebanLugo, Oct 15, 2010.

1. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The strange thing is that, despite being under the banner of the Netherlands Antilles, the flag they had at the DCC was that of Curacao.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds to me that only curacao will be a new country, and since the Netherlands Antilles is going away we still have the same number of teams.

unless Bonaire, Saba, and Sint Eustatius want to do like Guadalupe and still have their own teams.

4. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Curaçao will take over Netherlands Antilles' place in FIFA, CONCACAF and CFU.

The first ABCS Tournament will begin today in Curaçao. (note the ç in Curaçao - this is a pronunciation aid to make the 'c' sound like 's'). This is set to become an annual event.

Semi-Finals
    Curaçao v Aruba (this will be a FIFA 'A' international match)
    Suriname v Bonaire

The Final and 3rd place match will be played on Sunday.

5. bartecky

bartecky Member

Jun 6, 2009
    New York, USA
    Club:
    KP Legia Warszawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Any info about squads? Livescore maybe?

6. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    & which anthem did they play ??
    Himno di Kòrsou or "Anthem without a title" ?

7. trekky76

trekky76 Member

May 31, 2008
    Stockholm
    Suriname squad for ABCS:
    Obrendo Huiswoud, Firgillio Lamsberg, Roche Emanuelson, Zhirvano Darson, Foline Abauna, Marlon Felter, Derrick Garden, Naldo Kwasie, Kenneth Moennoe, Stefano Baneti, Wensley Christoph, Emilio Limón, Regillio Pinas, Germaine van Dijk, Ives Vlijter, Stefano Rijssel, Gregory Righters

8. WaltonFire

WaltonFire Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sint Maarten will also be a new country, and in the past has had a national team compete in the Carribean nations cup (ala Guadeloupe or Martenique). So they can and should apply for FIFA membership.

9. BigLarr

BigLarr Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True. Though it looks like they have not played a match since 2004. So joining FIFA looks unlikely.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Varies from island to island. The Dutch government held a referendum on the islands and each population pretty much picked a different option. Bonaire chose to have the status of a Dutch municipality. Bonaire is now as Dutch as Amsterdam is, and definitely not a country anymore. Aruba already had a 'status aparte' and they're keeping that. Not sure about Curacao but I do know that they no longer have an olympic status. Several athletes from Curacao now represent the Netherlands.

11. BigLarr

BigLarr Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Generally speaking, my understanding was that Curacao and Sint Maartin now have the same status as Aruba and the remaining parts (Bonaire, Saba, and Saint Eustatius) elected to have closer ties to the Netherlands as special municipalities. I know I am oversimplifying things but to me this meant that from the former Netherlands Antilles only Curacao and Sint Maartin would be eligible to join FIFA and compete in FIFA events (i.e. WC Qualification).

12. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Curacao already is listed in the 'Association' on Fifa.com. There's so well-updated results and standings under the flag of Curacao who until recently was a Netherlands Antilles. But Sint-Maartin was not there as well and there...