Nestor Lorenzo

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by ryu79, Jun 1, 2022.

1. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that is insane !!! Like why not just bring Pekerman back !!

Like have him train his assistant to take the role in 2-4 years. Guy realizes he isn't getting younger

This dude hasn't worked since we fired Pekerman.... has a job with a crappy Peruvian team and we will give him the SNT !!!!!!

He never even coached the U20. Like this just shows anything is better than a Colombian in the feds eyes.

3. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    You have the memory of a goldfish.

The Fed is in no way opposed to Colombians as our coach. Why hire Reuda and then stick with him after countless scoreless draws if that was the case?

The Fed hired only domestic coaches for decades, even choosing guys like Pinto. Pekerman was the aberration, and Quieroz was an attempt to appease fans who realized how much better Colombia plays when not managed by yet another person who's lived their whole futbol profession within this insanely corrupt organization.

Why not bring Pekerman back?? Because he walked away from this. Pekerman was never fired. He chose not to sign with Colombia again after how the media tried to assassinate him and his staff. Whether this influenced how the Fed dealt with him during contract negotiations OR whether the Fed pushed certain narratives to the media in anticipation of those negotiations is hard to tell.

This Nestor Lorenzo business is either a fake rumor the Fed is leaking out to appease their critics--"Hey, we're looking at the assistant of the dude who brought us success, so pat us on the back"--or it's just a total acknowledgment that they f'd up letting Pekerman go in a desperate attempt to try to bring back some of his mojo cuz they have no idea where else to look or how to attract somebody of a higher profile.

4. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I've been reading sources that Mario Yepes is also in the run as coach.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    haha

dude was awful with Cali

as for Pekerman. They didn’t give him a new contract and basically stood him up on their meeting.

he then thought they would give him the job after Quierzo failed. They didn’t. Then when Rueda was shitting the bed he thought they go back to him. They didn’t so he went with Venezuela.

yepes or this melgar guy make no sense!!!

give us guys who have actually successfully coached a club. Even better if it’s a NT.

just wait till after the WC and get one of the better coaches that gets fired.

or bring Bob Bradley haha he will call up 50 guys per game and cup tie all players. He will also give us non fifa friendlies :)

On a serious note why not Gamero?

6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ******** it I'll apply for the position; I've played enough FIFA manager career mode so where can I submit my application.

7. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They'll take you in, but with condition you must pay your flights and hotels. Oh you can't be within 100 meters of any of the players you called up.

Froboy69 repped this.
  8. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why are you treating me like a sex offender jajjajajajajajajajaja.

Tio Nicci and crzdcolombian repped this.
  9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That escalated quickly! It's Lorenzo apparently...

Azucarero repped this.
  10. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    A lot of Colombians will not like the appointment, but he's turned Melgar into a top team in not only Peru, but also South America. Add the experience he already had under Pekerman for years makes me think he will surprise a lot of people, like Scaloni did with Argentina.

J-Mezzy, ryu79 and Azucarero repped this.
  11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what has this cnt done to deserve the job? Being pekermans assistant? A coach in a shit club in Peru has the resume to be our SNT coach!! You fking serious!!

the federation needs to all lose their jobs…..

We are shit at all levels. Hope adidas drops us soon so they have less money to steal

fk this is worse than bringing back Bolillo

12. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    He's done what no manager in Peru could do for many years: turn a Peruvian team into one of the most competitive sides in the continent. I'm sure many of the players already recognize him too. Obviously not an "attractive" option but neither was Scaloni or Southgate. I think he's going to surprise to be honest.

krass and Azucarero repped this.
  13. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well I want to give him a chance since he's now in charge. Who knows? Maybe he can replicate Pekerman's magic or do more so.

Let's give him a chance and full support.

Azucarero repped this.
  14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Azucarero repped this.
  15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Tell me more about this. What's the story at Melgar? What's characterized his team?

Thinking further - if he turns out to be good what a missed opp it would have been to not have signed him to succeed Pekerman. Would have had continuity and benefitted from relationships with the key players... But now all those guys are aging out...

16. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Hoping he becomes better than Pekerman, glad no colombian was appointed.

Froboy69 and Azucarero repped this.
  17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Scaloni for me is the coach of the cycle in SA. What a 180 with that team finally playing to their potential.

The difference here is that the vibe Lorenzo had with our locker room is going to have less value with most of that group not featuring in the 2026 program.

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Still want Crema's POV - but for those curious, Lorenzo's Melgar is leading the Peruvian league with three fixtures to go. They are also leading their Copa Sudamericana group too.

Looking at his teams recent fixtures he's played 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1. So not a priori an answer for those of us who want us to play 3 up front, hopefully he's a pragmatist.

19. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Melgar's success is not entirely down to him but the team playing so well is because bringing him in was a good appointment. They are light years ahead of anyone in Peru at the moment. He's got them playing high pressing football and having them attack a lot while keeping it tight at the back. To be frank nobody in Peru can match them when they are at full strength.

He has really good players and has figured out how to take advantage of them. As you said, they are first in Peru, which is not always a good barometer, but finishing top of their group with a Brazilian, Argentinian, and Uruguayan side for Peru is almost a miracle. But they've genuinely been that good. Compare that to how Alianza and Cristal have done to get an idea of the general level in Peru at a continental stage.

My flaw with him is the same Pekerman had: he has high standards with subs. His "replanteos" can be weak. That was his issue in 2021, this year he's improved upon that.

Azucarero and ryu79 repped this.
  20. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I think respect is a big part of success as a manager, and I'm sure a few players will know who he is by now, if not all.

ryu79 repped this.
  21. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia playing a high press would be interesting. Would certainly suit Diaz, Borre and El Buffalo.

Key question is if he can figure out how to get best of Sini and Diaz together. If he does, Colombia should be a top ten side...

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is he going to coach both teams until the seasons over since we don’t have any games

23. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Amaranto Perea to be Lorenzo's assistant coach.

I'd of liked Yepes in that role but I understand that Perea has been studying and getting ready.

24. ColombianKilla

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm optimistic, please make us play to our potential.

25. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Bruh, if he starts calling the likes of James and Cuadrado, then I want him gone, ha!

I'm not crazy about his long trajectory as an Asst coach but there is a + when you have a coach that knows FCF, knows Colombian players, knows qualifiers, etc. That means we don't have to start at the opening gate but it also sets an expectation to get this team to play cohesively much faster.

We are giving him the reigns early enough so he should have all the time to plan, process, and execute a startegy to make this next generation of Colombian NT competitive. He's got it pretty easy. He only has to win 5 games to equal the tally of the past 2 managers. The rest is just icing on the cake.

I wish him luck and I wish myself as little frustration in the coming years!