Nervous in Tryouts

Discussion in 'Player' started by cristianoronaldo17, Jun 23, 2007.

1. cristianoronaldo17

cristianoronaldo17 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    Yesterday I went to my first tryout session with a team and as we started the game I got really nervous, everytime I got the ball I just blanked out, I could'nt think of anything and ended up losin the ball, I am a dribbler and I know that I could be one... if not the best player on that tryout, but I just seemed to be nervous, at the end of the tryout I started to dribble and beat alot of my markers and tooks some really good shots and two that hit the post and made some really good crosses, can u guys plz give me some advice to calm down and play my game right from the beginning, I have another session on Tuesday soon and I really really want to make this team, I know if I do I will definetly progress. Can u guys plz help me thank you. oh and if there are any coaches out there or players, what makes a player stand out in a tryout

2. loghyr

loghyr ex-CFB

Jul 11, 2006
    Tulsa
    Are you warming up first?

By this I mean are you out there about 30 minutes early and getting touches on your ball? Get out there and get in a rhythm.

My son just went throw his first tryouts and he as nervous as well. It turns out he knew he would make the team, but he was nervous about all of the talk about the tryouts. I spent all week trying to get him to calm down. We talked about he already knew enough to get on the team, that if he plays the way he normally does, it will go well, etc.

I told him to treat it like a real game and not a practice. So, besides warming up, if there is any routine you go through before a game, try it. All of this is in your head, so if you can convince yourself that you are going to do well, that everything is normal, etc, then you will do okay.

3. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As the poster above said, definitely go at least a half an hour before the match and get some touches on the ball - passing, long passing, controlling, juggling, etc.

I've found that this works with me before a match, while most of my team just focus on stretching before the game.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree

-Clear your head think about what you want to do so when you get the chance you know what to do.

-Take deep breaths and relax

-Play your game dont try to change it up

5. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think about trying out just play get there a bit early get relaxed and play!

6. Djtron75

Djtron75 New Member

Jun 23, 2007
    TOUCH ON THE BALL: Does the player have control over the ball with both feet? Can he/she make the ball do what he/she wants while in possession? Does the player look comfortable with the ball under pressure?
    BALANCE: Is the players in control of his/her body? Is the player able to change direction in a controlled manner with the ball?
    TECHNICAL SPEED: How fast does the player control the ball and play it? Does the player have the ability to use good skill quickly?
    COACHABILITY: Can the player carry out a directive from the coach? While many young players are tactically weak, a good player will be coachable, and therefore have the ability to develop good habits?
    WORKRATE: Is the player willing to push him/her self to the limits? Does the player attack and defend?
    AWARENESS: Does the player see good opportunities to pass/dribble/shoot? Does the player have vision of what's happening on the field or does he/she make the game difficult?
    REACTION TO FAILURE: How does the player respond to a bad call or a mistake? Does failure result in a drop in performance?
    LEADERSHIP QUALITIES: Does the player communicate to others? Does he/she demand the ball? Will they take charge when the game is on the line?
    PHYSICAL SPEED: Is the player fast? Does the player have enough speed to be effective without being exploited by opponents?
    SIZE & STRENGTH: Is the player physically able to play with bigger opponents? Is the player's size the reason for his/her success (especially at younger ages)?

7. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Well your tryout is over now isn't it. How did it turn out and what club did you tryout for in New Jersey?

Next try out you go to the night before dream about how your going make your opponent look like a chump. Positive visualization actually works it worked for me.

The first 200 touches you take in the morning are going to be worse then your next 300 touches. So go early and make 500 touches.

Then just play and don't think so much you have fun when you play right? So just think about having fun and when you don't have the ball think about your off ball positioning.

If they break the group up and play against each other be up when the ball is up. Push yourself to be up.

When you lose the ball push yourself to get behind the ball.

Hope you made it, but if you didn't so what it is not the end of the world.

Next team you will make, and if you play the team you did make. Play well and make them pay for being stupid enough not to take you confidence means a lot.

Good luck don't worry be happy. When your not playing find hot looking women :)

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    It all depends on what works for you though, i dont get any touches til about 3 minutes before kickoff when we finalise warm ups, and it suits me. Some mornings though ill be unhappy with something (say headers) and ill arrive to games much earlier and practise using my head.

So you said you had dribbling problems, get to the ground early, go out on the pitch and get the nervousness out of the system.