Nelson Rodriguez Career Deathwatch

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not in the loop like some of you. Can you just say who we're talking about here?

2. Red and White 97

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Apr 22, 2017
    I believe its Garth Largerway the Sounders GM

GHjelm, bunge, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Fans here are going to turn on him so damn fast...

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 8.14.33 PM.png

Red and White 97 repped this.
  4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Why?

5. "Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late."
    Branch Rickey

Because a lot of supporters maintain unreasonable attachments to players far beyond the value those players' actual impact.

6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, that. Especially in a salary-capped league.

7. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    That has nothing to do with “fans here”. Stupid comment.

8. Please explain why that's a stupid comment. Lagerwey's quote referred to the short term reception of his decisions to move on from winning players. You can disagree, but stupid?

9. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Saying Fire fans will hate him as opposed to all fans will hate him is stupid. Sorry for the confusion.

10. :thumbsup:

11. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/11/08/garth-lagerwey-seattle-sounders-mls-cup

Lagerwey is originally from the Chicago area, and his success as a GM has caused some to wonder: Now that the Chicago Fire have an ambitious new owner (Joe Mansueto) who’s willing to spend money, might the Fire go after Lagerwey?

“I’m really happy here, and Nelson Rodríguez does a great job there,” said Lagerwey, who has three years left on his Seattle contract.

But Lagerwey does add that at some point he would like to run both the soccer and the business sides of a club, and he quickly cites other executives who do that in MLS, including Rodríguez (Chicago), Tim Bezbatchenko (Columbus), Chris Klein (LA Galaxy), Darren Eales (Atlanta), Ian Ayre (Nashville) and Padraig Smith (Colorado).

“It just seems like that would be interesting,” Lagerwey said. “That would be a challenge.”

12. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Yeah, I've advocated him being hired here for damn near a decade. But, my view was to have him run the soccer side of things, and to get someone else to run the business side.

I suppose he couldn't do worse than pretty much every GM/TD/President since Wilt.

Any news on him coming to save this franchise?

13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    @TyrusRose said there was someone pulling the strings on the soccer side when Pauno was fired........ Kinda wondering who we're talking about now.

14. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Turns out everyone we interviewed for that position mentioned losing Pauno so we just saved ourself the trouble there lol

bunge repped this.
  15. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    The entire process of this offseason has just been so poorly planned and sequenced.

Seems like maybe rushing the lease through the outgoing Rahm administration was a factor. But if there was a way to delay this to 2021 so you could do the rollout properly, you have to do that.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression, and this is a catastrophic one. This franchise seriously might not exist in five years.

But hey, I'm looking forward to the easy availability of bathrooms and beer vendors next year!

16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nelson Rodriguez should be fired just for this quote:

“The Club’s pillars – Be Chicago. Be Football. Be a Club. – are fused into the new badge,” said Chicago Fire FC President and General Manager Nelson Rodríguez. “We appreciate all the fans, partners and staff who contributed to helping us evolve the identity of the Club.”
    https://www.chicagofirefc.com/post/...e-and-brand-identity-ahead-move-soldier-field

(of course, his four years of mismanagement, animosity towards supporters, denigration of long term fans as "wallowers" and his overall shadiness should be grounds for dismissal)

17. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah I'm done with this clown.

18. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nelson Rodriguez needs to go back to Jersey and begin his new job selling used Chevy Corsicas. Fvcking charlatan.

Pennsylvania Dave, xtomx and bunge repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here is when I was "done" with this clown:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/nelson-rodriguez-career-deathwatch.2024931/

Sep 20, 2015
    ...too soon?

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/20...ls-executive-nelson-rodriguez-general-manager

Yallop out
    Mathis out
    Bircham out

Bliss interim coach
    Logan Pause returns to the bench as assistant coach

Rodriguez to head up the search.

"I share our fans’ frustration and, while we’ve enjoyed success off the pitch, I’m obviously not happy with the results on it. I felt the need to make changes now in order to better position ourselves for the off-season and beyond," Andrew Hauptman.

Pennsylvania Dave and HeyFireGO repped this.
  20. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana
    So rumor from a very very credible source is NR... is going to get let go...Happy Thanksgiving everyone

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Blame him for the disastrous rebrand, let him go, hire a competent replacement, and return to what we have.

Everyone is happy, except Mrs. Rodriguez, I suspect. She probably misses the freedom of having commute from New Jersey the past four years.

Pennsylvania Dave and GHjelm repped this.
  22. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Totally rudderless

23. Fixed.

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly

25. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes this works for me very nicely. Scapegoat the guy who actually was behind this disastrous rebrand, get the fans involved and vote on a new badge that reengages the fan base and HONORS TRADITION and PASSION.

GHjelm and xtomx repped this.