Nelson as Captain

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by CHICO13, Oct 4, 2003.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Since Nelson took over the armband, what have we seen from our Captain?

Bueller ?

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Is Nelsen the new Etch Apologist target? :rolleyes:

According to Goff Nelsen took over as captain in Dallas on July 2. Before that Etch was captain.

Our record from April 12 - June 28: 2-6-4 (W-D-L)

Our record from July 2 - Sept 28: 8-1-5 (W-D-L)

Make of it what you will.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why do you feel the need to bring Marco into this thread?

Was he even mentioned in the title? Bag your pre-desposition and let the argument flow. Your bias is showing...

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Because I saw this in the Etch interview thread - posted right before you started this thread.
    I thought it fairly reasonable connection for me to make in light of your comment above.

5. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    I'm not sure what this thread is even supposed to be about. Was Nelsen supposed to start scoring more goals, or getting more assists? He's still our best defender, one of our only all-star quality players, and as good a leader by example as we have. You don't see Nelsen getting into running spats with officials like Etcheverry or Stoitchkov, or getting overemotional (like Stewart did when nothing was going right for him). I don't think there's a better choice for captain of this team. In fact, I'd say that Nelsen is as good a captain as you're going to find in MLS.

I guess what I'm saying is, what is this thread about? Captain doesn't mean more goals, or anything else you can quantify with stats outside of our record, which is hugely improved. If we don't notice Nelsen too often during a match, that's probably good. Personally, I've always found it good when you don't notice a defender too much.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I thought it fairly reasonable connection for me to make in light of your comment above.

As a Moderator you should know better to answer a question in the thread it was asked. One thread has nothing to do with the other. I asked a simple question on Nelson's performance as a Captain and you decided arbitrallarly to join both threads.

You might not believe this, but I love and root for United with or with out Marco....

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Whatever. It obviously wasn't arbitrary. And what any of this has to do with me being a moderator is quite obscure. I'm through arguing this. JAnderson14 is right. If you want to talk about Nelsen as captain maybe you should specify what we're supposed to evaluate here. I made a very valid comparison of our records this year with Etch and Nelsen as captain. We've gotten a much better winning record with Nelsen as captain. Is he the cause. Maybe not totally but I suspect he is in part.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    While I agree with J, I'm left wondering where Nellie was during that avalanche of yellow cards against the Mutts...

Nellie is not just a defender any more. He is now the Captain. How does one judge an effective Captain?

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not quite sure why you find this obscure.
    A statement was made in one thread and a question asked in another.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Again ...

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    question asked, definitive answer given. thread over.

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you're saying he should have gotten in the face of the ref and drawn a couple of dissent cards and gotten thrown out?

Are there any documented instances of a ref retracting a card just because the captain of the carded team asked him to? And even if we find a few does it happen often enough for the captain of the team to risk getting carded for dissent when he knows how crucial he is to the team?

One of the things I absolutely HATE about Marco is how fast he loses his temper and confronts refs. It's childish and usually makes him look like an ass. But worse, it's pointless and does the team more harm than good.

So if Nellie restrained himself from fighting with the ref, then that's just another tick in the pro Nelsen column for me.

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Seems like the only thing we fans know about Nellie's captain perforamce is that in the miracle comeback vs NE, he allowed Q2 to take the PK. Good decision allowing a younger players who was feeling his oats to make the crucial shot.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Good question. I think there's a lot of stuff going on in the locker room, huddles, practices, etc. that we don't see. I think the players are really the best judge of that.

Fans are best equipped to evaluate Captain Morgan. IMO, he remains effective as ever.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Wins and Losses

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Uhh... Barb...
    HUH?
    I asked a simple question. where did I say Nelson should get thrown out?

Don't Assume

You Know what happens when you assume.....

:rolleyes:

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay then, please elaborate on your comment. I wouldn't have to assume if you'd say what you realy mean instead of the incredibly vague posts we've seen here.

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What comment can you attribute to me and
    How do you get "vague" from a simple question?

19. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I judge a team captain on a couple of standards:

1. Does the team do better? It would appear so in this case (given his record).

2. Is he highly regarded and respected by his teammates (so he's credible with them). It would appear so.

3. Is he a good representative to the Ref on the field? It would appear so (recall the conversation in Dallas where Prideaux' second yellow mysteriously disappeared and he stayed in the game after Nellie's conference).

4. Is he a cool head when others might lose there (maintaining order and organization on the field)? Yes--he's probably our best defensive organizer and clearly doesn't get a lot of cards for abuse or losing control.

5. Is he willing to do the dirty work? Yes (talk to Donovan about this), especially in terms of workrate, tracking back, hard tackles (when necessary), covering for others, playing different positions as necessary.

6. Is he a source of division or union on the team? It would appear he's not divisive.

7. Is he a leader on the field? I think so--he's regarded as a defensive organizer, he's vocal and the other players listen to him.

8. Is he a voice for the players to the team management and coaching (ie: voice unpopular views to the coach)? Can't say. Hudson clearly respects him but this is a "mano a mano" kind of thing that unless you're a fly on the wall when Ryan and Ray chat, you'll never know for sure.

9. Is he someone most or all of his teammates connect with? I'd guess so (but again, without surveying players, its hard to say absolutely). He's got a college background (ties to most of the US natives), is an international, has been in MLS a while, had trials in Europe. I don't know how well he connects with Hristo and Marco and Eliseo but the rest of the squad should find they have things in common with Nellie.

10. Does he step up at key moments? (ie: someone the team looks to at key moments or might pull a big play out of his back pocket)? Given his scoring last year and the recognition that he's a defender, he's probably as good as any defender-as-captain can be within MLS in this regard.

As for the "where was he during the cardfest against the Metros?" I think we can all agree that Kennedy was widely inconsistent that match. Allowing red cardable fouls to draw nothing and then pulling yellows out quickly on lesser stuff. With that much inconsistency, I"m not sure it would have been wise to confront Kennedy but only the AR's probably know for sure.

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Points 1 thru 10 describe Marco.....

Uh... Ok maybe not number 4

:D

21. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    [R] if your a retard....

Nellie and Etch both played well and made us proud tonight. --This is the way it should be. Vamos United! :D

#8 Member

Jul 5, 2000
    Washington DC metro
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Knave
    Is Nelsen the new Etch Apologist target?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why do you feel the need to bring Marco into this thread?

Was he even mentioned in the title? Bag your pre-desposition and let the argument flow. Your bias is showing...

You create a thread to clearly imply that Nelsen has not done well with his captaincy, due to your bitterness that Etch is no longer captain. As soon as someone questions your motives, you jump down their throats saying you didn't mention Etch, and that the thread has absolutely nothing to do with him. You continue to harass anyone that points out your poorly disguised contempt at Etch's removal as captain. Mr. longest poster on the entire website provides TEN excellent examples of what a captain is. You can't help yourself as your underlying intent explodes to the surface to claim Etch is just as good as Nelsen on all but one point. Well guess what? You are flat WRONG. The Etch of 2003 doesnt measure up to more than half of those points. Get off your soap box and accept the fact that he is no longer the player he once was. He can still certainly turn it on for small periods of time, but is nothing more than a shadow of the player he was last century.

23. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    your reading way too much into what he is saying. Chico just wants an HONEST evaluation of Nellie AS HE DOES FOR MARCO.

--People are not MArco "apologists"... they are Marco pragmatists. We only ask that you judge him as you do other players on this team.

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My Soap box is here and I stand on it proudly. If you and the rest of the Marco bashers don't like it, tough. I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about Marco and his contribution he's made to the team this year. Your assesment of my post as harrasment is sad if not laughable. If you want to see some throat jumping, just read anyone of the thousand threads where someone says Marco did something good. But then I forgot. The 20 or so regular posters on BigSoccer speak for the 7500 plus season ticket holders. :rolleyes:

25. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I love Nelly as much as the next United fan, but.....Marco should have the arm band next match and every other match he is wearing a United kit. He helped make this team what it is today. He has earned the right to captain this club. If Nelson has any respect, he would give the band back to Marco and rally behind him for what may be his last season with the club.