Nelsen: Blackburn Trial

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by The Magpie, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Agree with your statement - but fixed your post
    :D

2. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Fvck Blackvburn... If they are too dumb to sign him they deserve relegation.

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Yea, Blackburn's defense blows. Another team's defense that could use the help (at least form the ones I've seen) is Fulham. Jesus are they disorganized.

Nelsen would help any of these teams.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes for Nellie. Hope they sign him--they could sure as hell use him.

Now what the hell are WE going to do in central defense?

5. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Will Nelsen have a work permit issue because NZ is not ranked high enough in FIFA rankings? I recall reading somewhere that it might be an issue - did we ever work out the details on this?

6. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    EXACTLY! This it what keeps me up at nights...

7. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All we want for christmas is a --

6'4", 195 - 205 lb central defender, with pace, a 36" vertical and capable of accurate distribution. Oh yeah, confident and loud as hell, too!

That's all :rolleyes:

GM

8. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    With a Kiwi accent

9. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD

Except for the distribution and confidence criteria, we already have everyones favorite "David Stokes". There, your christmas wish has come true. :rolleyes:

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO that comes down to one thing and one thing only...Zat Knight's atrocious positioning. They could solve the problem by moving Boca there and plugging in a real left back, which would improve them at TWO positions.

There's hope for Coleman. He's finally figured out that he didn't have a "lone striker" striker on his roster anymore, what with Saha being gone 11 months, and is playing McB and Cole together.

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562135397

NELLIE'S NEW VISA: The path to English soccer for United defender Ryan Nelsen has been cleared by the British Department of Employment extending certain working rights for Commonwealth citizens to soccer players.

Nelsen, a native of New Zealand, has been approved for a holiday visa, by which he can work in the UK for the next two years. The visa is also renewable after the first year.

Should Nelsen be denied a work permit, issued to non-EU citizens wishing to play professional soccer in England, he would be employable with the tourist visa.

12. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Basically, as a Kiwi, Ryan's ability to get a work permit, or play under some loop hole has never been at question. This has been the main reason I have thought he would go to the UK. An easy in, combined with the difference in salary, ego factor, and prestige.
    While I dont blame Ryan a bit for making the move, I do already miss him, and I know his loss will have repercutions for DCU.
    I can only hope that we are lucky enough to find a player who is half of Ryan to begin to replace him. :confused:

13. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I like my Rovers, I feel sorry for Nellie should he go to such a poor team from such a great one :(

14. rebelzero

rebelzero Member

Jul 5, 2003
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets just be happy United doesn't start 36 year old defenders then!

15. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    How's about some defensive organization?

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  17. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Re: Sky Sports - Rovers want Nelsen

I guess it would be good for Nellie, but I'd really rather see him in Black and Red again next season.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I didnt see a thread that was open before I started a new one. It's a sky sports article with quotes from Blackburn's manager. It looks like they'll sign him in January.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154709

19. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Re: Sky Sports - Rovers want Nelsen

I think we'd all love to see Nellie here again, but this is a move up for him and a chance to play in a top league..

Good luck Ryan..

20. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not to mention hey are still better then fvcking Reading and Ryan will actually contribute... :D

--I'd never question a move of a player that has actually accomplished all he could at this level. Ryan deserves a real pay day.

21. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Anybody heard anything else on Ryan lately? The Rovers site is saying that they have also brought in Portugese international defender Abel Xavier. Probably doesn't mean anything or reflect on Ryan in any way. Just wondering what the hell is going on?

22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Xavier's a right back, and any attempt to play him in the center would be even more disasterous than playing him on the right.

23. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
  24. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I may not have this totally correct, but because Nelsen is still has a contract with MLS (technically), Blackburn would have to wait to January to sign him, and I believe it's the same for the South African that was on trial. Xavier is apparently available immediately because he is out of contract.

While Xavier being brought in may not reflect on Nelsen, it may give him a slight advantage if Blackburn is really desperate to get some help in the back ASAP.