Neil Barrett Set to sign w/Metros

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by m vann, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mini_Bob looked real shaky last night and even Big daddy took him out. My guess is Barret never signs with us or if he does he goes out to outside back or some other place where he is not a threat to MinBob. Coaches should never have their relatives on their own team as only bad things can happen.

2. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Not just in sports but in any business its never healthy to have relatives working underneath one another.

3. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Unless you are Cesare Maldini and your son is "Paolo Maldini" :)

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right, where are qwe at with Barret?? Has Bob and his wife canned this guy already as he was a threat to Min-Bob???? My guess is we sign Mad Hand Xavier as a defender and forget about a defensive midfielder.

5. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop with this BS. Do you really think a professional coach with his career on the line would play his son if it could end up costing him his job? This line has been going on too long and is total Cr@p.

6. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because some idiot on a board says that the Metros won't bring this player in because he is threat to his own son, you believe him?

7. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    Of course he wouldn't risk his career, but that's not the point.... Do you think a father can objectively evaluate the relative skills and abilities of his son?

Or to put it another way.. if you were the coach and you had to decide whether to play your son or someone else, would you be able to make the decision without bias? Some people would overcompensate and choose the non-son just to avoid the appearance of impropriety. Not me. And not Bob either.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's look at the facts:

Mini-Bradley is a good MLS player, and for his age, an excellent player. He originally was an AM, but he was switched to DM.

We should have a decent backup for mini-Bradley in case he is not available. Who is his backup as def mid? I don't know. Who is it? I thought it was Gilberto but he is gone. I suppose Guevera would have to move into the position and that would take him out of the offense.

Btw, I think your use of the word "idiot" is inappropriate. If you come to a forum you should be prepared to debate without name calling. I think you should apologize to the forum.

9. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    I dont have much business in this argument, but if you are going to come onto an adult forum with other adults, you should be able to handle the word "idiot". If I were you, I wouldnt turn on HBO ever in fear of what you might hear.

10. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes as a professional coach of course he can. I think you are looking at it as a kid who got put on the bench so the coaches son could play. I want to use the example, but I can't remember the team, but there is one father son combo which was reunited this year, after the father sold his son a few years earlier. Please try to think of this as a professional game, not your youth days.

11. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I make comment like idiot when I am really tired of stupid a$$ comments. Junior has not been any part of the problem and has performed to a higher level than most sane people would have expected him to do.

Since you are the person in question, I don't care what you think. You have to make legitimate statements beyond he is the coach's son so it must be a conspiracy.

12. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    i think it could've been the Redknapp's that got reunited.

13. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    My view is that even professionals are human and can bring biases into decision-making, consciously or subconsciously. Of course every professional tries to be objective, but there are some things that cannot be easily blocked out, such as a father-son relationship.

It's kind of like Bush Jr.'s decision to go to war with Iraq. (sorry in advance for bringing politics into this!) He made his decision to take out Saddam knowing that Saddam once tried to have his father assassinated. The fact that Bush Sr. was once targeted by the Iraqi regime bears absolutely no relevance to the current foreign policy and national security interests of the U.S. Yet, the attempt on his father's life had to play a role in Bush Jr.'s decision making, whether consciously or subconsciously. If it didn't, he wouldn't be human.

Just like if Bob didn't give Michael the benefit of the doubt (where others would not get such treatment), he wouldn't be human.

</psychobabble>

14. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.

15. Mathis is a God

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    No, but you can try to explain if you want.

16. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Basically you don't show adult conversation. Attacking everyone who's opinions does't match yours and you love calling people "idiots" or "Morons" So in other words sir you showing Adult conversation or trying to get involved in one I see the best of you as a 9 year old thinks he knows it much better than anyone else does attitude and will insult his opponent and cut him or her down to no end.

There. I believe that explains it.

17. Mathis is a God

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Ok, moron. By saying the pot calling the kettle black, it means that I say something to others implying that I do not do it. I told him he should be able to handle being called an idiot, just like I am able to handle it. If i wasnt able to, and then i made fun of him for not being able to, then, and only then, would I be calling the kettle black.

And sorry for commenting on opinions. I thought thats what a message board is all about. For future reference, stop taking it personally. I dont even know who you all are, so I am not personally attacking anyone. I just get alittle too into my arguments. I admit that I get into arguments a lot, but I never initiate the name calling, someone else usually starts it first. Either way, it shouldnt matter much but I will try to cut it down if it bothers you so much.

18. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, i was just trying to make a point, sorry... Rico

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    If the earth's rotation around the sun speeds up by 3.69873% for some reason, and Comet R995gl65 hits a piece of Skylab and makes a 2 degree turn to the left, and Monster 0 moves takes flight in our direction from planet X, the Earth will explode.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I don't mind you making an opinion. That's why it's a message board, but try to put in a little more tact. That's all I ask. Other than that, your o.k.

21. Mathis is a God

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Thanks for your approval. I will now feel more confident while posting.

22. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOW you got me worried!!I better buy more duct tape and bottled water!

23. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    No but it’s not that simple. What if the coach believed his son has potential to be good at a new position provided the son gets lots playing time. On one hand, he’s the coach and it’s his call. On the other hand, if the coach in doing so greatly weakened the depth of that position, he should be questioned (his motive or judgment or both). To claim otherwise is very naïve.

24. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You expressed my view exactly.

A lot of def mids start at attacking mids: Armas, Joseph for examples. Their passing is excellent for a def mid but it takes time to develop the defensive and ball winning skills (both on the ground and in the air). It also takes time to develop the attitude/meanness that is needed in this position. I see mini-Bradley as such a work in progress. He is good, and he is getting better. But we still need depth at this position so I see getting rid of Gilberto, before Barrett is certain to arrive, as an error.

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Soccer Shorts: NEIL-LY OVER
    13 July 2005
    Scottish Daily Record
    English
    (c) 2005 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday Mail Ltd

NEW YORK METROSTARS last night claimed their move for former Dundee star Neill Barrett is close to being called off.

The midfielder is in America trying to clinch a two-year deal with the Major League Soccer outfit.

But MetroStars boss Bob Bradley said: "It's probably closer to not happening than to happening."