Neil Barrett Set to sign w/Metros

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by m vann, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    As the resident Dundee supporter . Neil is a great pick up for the Metro . He provides alot of the grit that seems to be lacking in the Metro Midfield . He plays mostly the D-midfield role , but is decent going forward . I hope he does the business here .. Hmm At least this gives me an excuse to return to Giants Stadium now .

2. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is certainly encouraging. Sounds similar as to what Ian Bishop did.

3. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

just turned 24 I believe

4. italia_in_02

italia_in_02 New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    NJ
    Sounds good to me. I think a gritty player whom Barret seems to be is what we're missing, along with the ability to close down games when we're two goals up and have a MAN ADVANTAGE!!! Oh well, the past is the past, let's just hope that he brings what we need to become a true contender this year. Another question though, will he be ready or at the Swamp for Saturday? I'd like to see him be there and maybe get in the game in the last 20 minutes or so.

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article...who are Mo Johnston's New York Metrostars?

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wonder what happens when this guy sits and min-bradley plays instead.

7. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll be sure to let you know on Saturday, Mr. Universe, er, Galaxy. ;)

8. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give it a rest. The best player will play. You don't give up an SI slot for someone to sit.

9. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

same as saying Amado Guevara's Metrostars or Kevin Hartman's Galaxy. He's our assistant coach so he is part of the team

10. kjo199

kjo199 Member

Mar 29, 2005
    NYC
    ^ Plus i think they said it because Mo is Scottish and Barret came from the Scottish league.

11. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Would you sit Lil Brad over Lisi just because he is the coach's son?

12. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    You don't give up an SI slot with the intention of having the guy sit.

It doesn't always work out that way (as you say the best guy wins). Ask Lubos Reiter or Andy Herron. Though both are starting now for the Fire, they've both had their moments of pine this year.

I hope he's not coming over thinking that getting a starting slot in MLS is a given.

13. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    i love how everyone talks about how this stadium is empty and our stadium isn't....there isn't an mls stadium (except la on occasion) that doesn't look empty...granted some teams clearly outdraw others...lets not act like dc or anyone is really sold out all the time.

14. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    realistically, it's gonna be lisi sitting for barett to come in. yes, the best man will play, but comeon now, little bradley has played like every minute this year. has he been the best man the whole time?

15. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    For that spot? I'd say so.

16. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    Shabs your not serious right, i'm gonna take it that you don't know how to get across your sarcaism on a computer......hopefully.

17. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Michael Bradley has been an absolute revelation to me this year. Plays smart balls from a deep position, joins the attack well, covers plenty of territory and has done alot of dirty work for Gueverra. An impressive "rookie" season if you will for the second year player. He has clearly been much more consistent then Lisi has thus far......

With that being said, it sounds like Barrett could be the type of player that this team needs in that role: a little more physical and a two way player. If he is of the Ronnie O'Brien mold, then we have a very good player who will develop into a fan favorite. I hope that this will allow Youri to play up top with Razov/Ibrahim and slide Bradley to the left side where his pace and defensive abilities would be well utilized and where he may not have the defensive pressure that he does centrally.

18. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999

19. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Metros scottish asst coach. The article is plugging the Scottish connection, see.

20. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    I think that would be called reverse discrimination!

21. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Barrett would not be an SI, he is a Youth International (whatever they're called now).

Also, he doesn't turn 24 until Christmas Eve.

22. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He's coming off their annual 4th of July bump. This weekend should bring him back to earth -- mile high or otherwise.

23. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    E. RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Former Dundee defensive midfielder Neil Barrett believes he is close to signing a two-year deal with the MetroStars, according to a report in the Glasgow Daily Record.
    However, said Metros coach Bob Bradley said after practice Friday, not so fast.

"It's up in the air," he said. "It's probably closer to not happening than to happening."

24. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    He plays the same position as junior. Its pretty obvious at this point that anyone who does, doesnt hang around long.

25. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is something that Alexi has to correct. Even if junior were a world class def mid, we would still need a backup, and a backup's backup for that position.

I agree with others who say that junior is weak on defensive tackling and ball-winning. But he is a very good passer and ball mover. I rate him 50% on a Sharlie Joseph=100% scale.