Negative Rep - Let's get rid of them!

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by FNU, Aug 8, 2007.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have missed all the brilliant positive rep I have given you, then.

The rep getting reset business adds to the strangeness of the concept, in my opinion.

2. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I just gave you a negative rep for wanting to get ride of the reps :)

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    First Question Does anyone have over a hundred possitive rep posts?

Second Question Does anyone have over a hundred postive rep post on soccer?

If so who is he? Any way we can find that out?

4. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I just realized I gave you a neg rep by mistake.

Is there any way I can give myself a neg rep to make it up to you?

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you know. It just happened again, for the exact same reason. I call that uncanny.

6. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Nope, just negged you to level it out :D

7. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Thanks man I deserved it and justice has been served. :)

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But sometimes rep comments are hilarious. I've often wanted to rep rep comments.

The same thing happened to me, in the early days of the infraction system. I think it's been modified so that mods can only give infractions to people in their particular forum, but I'm not sure.

Bingo! I, too, am sick of looking at it.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's the other issue but it's pretty much unresolvable (is that a word?): most of the time, maybe 95% or more, people use neg rep to express disagreement. In theory, it's for trolling or flaming or whatever (can't recall exactly what it says) but in practice it gets used to show displeasure at your point of view.

Really the only time it's pissed me off was when there was a guy - I don't think he's around any more - who would pick some random post of mine, neg rep it and then fill up the whole box with a lecture about what an asshole I am.

Then he'd do it again in a couple weeks, probably had to wait until his rep reset. It went on for like six months. This guy just had a serious hard on.

I think he wore out his welcome overall and was shown the door, not really sure, but there's really not much to stop somebody if they're really, really determined to act like an idiot.

10. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ha! You just described a similar problem I had with a poster. I haven't seen him much around lately, but he would just neg like crazy, then he would come to Customer Service to cry about him receiving neg rep. Dude was just crazy.

11. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yea I know how you feel.. that type of situation is disturbing. a person so worried about rep and spent alot of time and energy to sort of "get back" at the guy who neg repped him, gotta be mentally disabled. no doubt. psycho peeps we meet here in bigsoccer.. and it had to be a USA NT fan! :D

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your comment reminds me of the retalitory rep you gave me...I'm still unclear as to why you needed to "get back" at me.

13. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    because your neg rep was undeserved. you accused me of trolling when I wasnt. I generally dont care about rep.. but when someone accuses me of something thats not true I just retaliate.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sums up the other problem quite nicely. Rather than PM me, you felt the need to retaliate. If it really wasn't so important (this expands to everybody) then there would not be a need to respond with a neg rep for a neg rep.

pern, this is why I PMed you regarding the situation, and why I am PMing with another poster regarding a neg rep and comment.

So I am in on the fence here. I think it is a good idea to have rep comments, specially as a mod. I'd rather give somebody a neg rep - a quick note and indication of the post - rather than a "warning." On top of that, I am even more inclined to do this as I wouldn't want a "warning" that has expired sitting around for 6 months or longer. But, as stated, the comments can be an under the radar trolling/flaming comment, which makes me want to do away with it....so I'm leaning on the fence...

15. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well I rather do a nep rep since It doesnt warrant a response. a pm gives way for a response.

you do what you think its right. if there wasnt rep you wouldnt have an outlet to let me know your opinion without flaming me in a public forum, aside from pm's of course.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, yes. I just thought it would be funny to see the accumulation of them now. not running across idiotic statements in the rep section every day has been very nice indeed.

17. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ignorance is bliss :D

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly, which is why i started ignoring rep in the first place. at the time for me, it essentially went like this: Someone: "Convey is the greatest player with the mostest talent in all the world." Me: "How can you say that, because if you look at his contribution to the nats overall and the results that DC got with him, it doesn't fit with the amount of praise he gets here." I would then immediately get negrepped by about 10 people, simply because I didn't agree with their premise. There didn't even have to be any words exchanged (i.e. argument). Simple disagreement was always enough. personally, i always thought negrep was a little bit silly and childish, and I never once used it. However, i did give people positive rep for witty or particularly insightful posts.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you didn't spend the time, but you did "sort of get back" at me with neg rep

Which mean this statement is false (mostly the bold part) since you retaliated.

If neg rep doesn't warrent a responce, why did you use it? A PM can be ignored just as much as a neg rep. Either way, it is behind closed doors. I only bring it up because you mock the person who you neg repped, yet you did the same thing - IOW, I'm calling you out for being hypocritical.

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then there must be some happy mother********ers in World Rivalries.

21. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

sorry man, you are over reaching. I am not hypocritical, first off I dont care for neg rep, I do care the message that someone leaves me and I respond in kind. that could be with neg rep or PM.. I chose the easy route with you..

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I get almost all of my neg rep from one particular poster. I treat it as a badge of honour.

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's a rep-worthy post.

24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hm.

It's eerily similar to a problem that numerous posters have had w/ you.

For the record, perndog neg rep'ed me 5 times in the first 2 weeks of August, all un-retaliated until last week.

And he promptly neg'ed me again.

I agree w/ Archer: the system as is just advocates trolling out of the gaze of mods.

Quoted for truth.

I only get neg rep from ppl who disagree w/ my choice of national teams. I get maybe one neg rep a year from non-newbies.

25. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow, this thread grew. lol I like the idea of doing away with the comments, or just the system altogether.