Negative Rep - Let's get rid of them!

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by FNU, Aug 8, 2007.

1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There's really no point in having them. They just start more bullshit that culminates into greater bullshit then spills over into customer service. How about we get rid of the negative reps, and just keep the positive. There's a report button for trolling/spam, that should be used instead of the negative rep which doesn't solve anything. Just a thought.

2. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Well if you get rid of neg rep, you have to get rid of rep completely. You can't have a way of letting people know you think their post was good, if there's no way to tell them you think their post is bad.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does have a point. In recent months, it seems like there's been a lot of "So and so neg repped me for no reason!" posts which usually result in 15 pages of the neg repper, the neg repee, a few other cronies, and a supermod or admin going back and forth, and around in circles before the thread gets locked.

Maybe something where rep stays around for a set period of time, when it gets removed from the system. If anyone uses Gmail, something similar to their spam folder.

If you're going to fix it, that's my idea.

4. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Well I've never been one to particularly care for the rep system, but then again there are those who will fight tooth and nail and possibly give their right arm to get another nipple. Perplexes me somewhat.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about neg rep isn't so much the fact that someone dings you. I mean, who honestly cares? Neg rep me all you want, I'll still be able to sleep tonight.

If I gave a damn what anybody thought of me I'd probably be nicer to people.

The problem is the little love notes people feel obliged to include. It's always something like "You're an idiot" or some obscenity about your mother or something. And THAT is the stuff that gets people wound up. It's an under-the-radar, non-controllable chance to lay some low insult on somebody. No mod will see it, no admin can erase it and you can't get a card for it.

It's just a free pass, an invitation for trolls to say whatever they want and it sometimes gets ugly.

And the format practically begs you to do it. "Hey, here's a little box for you to use to lay some shit on somebody with. Have fun!"

Honestly, you could disallow comments completely. Give them rep and move along; all that gratuitous slobbering is unnecessary. You've already expressed appreciation for the post. The accompanying mash note is extraneous.

The other thing that's messed up is this "Warning" system. I got one from some dimwitted prepubescent mod last December, mostly because I dared to disagree with him. (He's an RBNY mod who came over to the Crew forum and started lecturing people on proper comportment. I told him we have our own mods, thanks, and he should piss off. He felt I was "disrespectful") He's a jerk, no big deal, who cares?

(And in fact, I don't know how it happened but it was "reversed" by someone, somehow, meaning that I was given no "points" whatever that means. THe whole damn thing is a mystery)

Anyway, the point is that it's now 9 months later and it's STILL the first thing on the MyBigSoccer page which is my default. And honestly, I'm a little tired of looking at it. So it's some kind of a wrist slap from some teenybopper, which someone else expunged before I even saw it and every day I have to see it.

It's not a crisis or anything, it's just sloppiness. Somebody upstairs instituted this system - whatever it is - but didn't think it all the way through. I pay $35 a year to be a member here, and I end up having to look at a silly comment from some moron every time I log on.

6. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Bill, I agree with your point about perhaps keeping the rep and removing the ability to comment. Would prevent the "teenybopper" comments definitely.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can someone even tell me how to check your rep comments and such? I honestly haven't checked it in over 2 years because I don't even know how to get there after i ignored rep for so long. LOL It just would be fun to read the comments I've gotten over the years.

8. Skizz

Skizz Guest

You can't check all of them, you can see the last 20/30 I think by going into My BigSoccer at the top.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    been there and still haven't found it. what do i do once i go to my bigsoccer?

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks to me like you've got your reputation turned off.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aaahhhhhhhhhhh, that's what i did. and i actually remember doing it years ago. my bad. and thanks alot! LOL

12. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the question is: have you been happier than the rest of us over the last couple of years?

13. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agreed. Well, not just neg rep, the whole rep system. There's too many people abusing the system. The only good thing for me about the rep system is the ability to leave a message. That should take place instead of the rep. No red or green, just a simple message to tell certain poster what we think about his post.

14. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    or maybe the other extreme might help

give away stuff to the peeps with higher rep

like free bigsoccer memberships to 2 nips or National team jerseys to the superstars with 19 nips

this will spawn a series of events which will destroy bigsoccer forever!

muahahahahaha

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Circa 2000, any mod could waltz right in to any forum they liked and randomly start deleting threads, locking, editing, etc. Granted this was nice, because if a forum only had one or two mods and one of them was on vacation, the other mods could all check in from time to time.

Now, there was a mod who's general feelings towards such things were basically "This is my forum, I don't need any help, don't even bother telling ME how to run MY forum, thanks." But that's beside the point.

Flashfoward to present day, and if there's a moderator who goes into another forum, they have no such powers. They can't delete, lock, edit, etc. And that's the way it should be. You venture in to someone else's playground, you belong to them. If you have beef with another poster, especially a forum regular, you should have to take it up with whoever's in charge over there.

But apparently mods can use this new warning system in whatever forum they like?

Speaking of that, ok, so i've never been warned and know little about the system. But does it remind anyone else of license points? Only in this case, where one or two points might not be anything, but seven or eight might be a yellow card? Is this at all even close?

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded!!

17. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm just guessing, but I'd bet that 90-95% of us users enjoy and use the rep and messages in a mature and useful way. Don't know what to say about those who seem to have so much trouble about it, except that I do enjoy the threads where they complain about it here. :D

Re: The way infractions sit in your mybigsoccer long after expired, yes, that seems annoying. I don't have one (yet) but someone once let me look under their mybigsoccer skirt, and saw the same kind of thing, so I can understand what Bill Archer is talking about.

18. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'll second this one. I think this particular teapot (Customer Service) sees a lot a tempests about rep, but it is after all a teapot. And it gets visited by the usual suspects to an unusually high degree, so complaints registered loudly here can't be seen as representative of the BS population as a whole.

I like the rep system as is. I like the additional capacity to communicate it allows (although I have only every used negative rep 4 times, IIRC). I also like the fact that all average citizens have the same repping power, which has not always been the case (it used to be that those with higher rep points could deliver more benefit/damage).

edit: and for those arguing that neg reps would be more satisfactory without text, I'd only add that I've seen a fair number of complaints from others who don't like being neg-repped and told nothing as to why this was done.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Right after I stepped down from moderating the DC United forum Sachin gave me a zero point "infraction" as a joke. Months later the stupid thing is still there.

Bill is right - they should disappear after they expire. The way it works right now is just annoying. I too am tired of looking at it. In fact, I might have to start railing about this in the way that only I can ... ;)

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the majority of posters, this would be terrific. For those on their sixth page of infractions since the system was instituted - most of which have long since expired, the pattern is quite helpful to see.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    1. If someone has that many infractions then the record is obviously useless because it has failed to change his behavior.

2. If someone has that many infractions and is still posting on BigSoccer then the moderators are obviously useless since the poster should have been banned completely a long time ago.

3. Actually, nevermind 3. Just read that second one again.

22. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but on the other hand, how much do comments really tell you about why you were neg-repped? And is the reason that important, anyway?
    Red nerps often occur for one of two principal reasons:
    1) Personal beef between two posters in a forum.
    2) Criticism of club/country that is deemed unfair by neg-repper.

Now, I was once neg-repped by a person (who will remain unnamed) whose comment asserted that I had no empirical evidence to back-up a metaphor I used about the USSF. Well, duh, I thought, there's a reason a metaphor is "figurative" language!
    Anyway, the point is that the comment was a poorly veiled way of saying "I disagree with you and brook no criticism of US Soccer." (Which is a perfectly valid opinion, provided that the person holding it actually comes clean about it being an opinion and not an "objective" fact). But in this instance, the comment said more about the neg-repper than about why the neg-reppee deserved the red nerp. What did I take away from this experience? Well, I put said neg-repper on my ignore list and that was that. The comment, in this case, was superfluous.
    Since neg-rep is often more about personal differences or the bashing of opinions, comments don't seem to me to have much inherent worth other than to offer the neg-repper a space to attempt to conceal personal beef under a veneer of "here's why I think your post violated TOS" or whatever.

Edit: I should say that while I'm against using neg-rep personally (can't we all just get along?), I wouldn't advocate for its irrevocable disappearance either. Maybe I just trust that mods are mods for a reason and, at least where I post, do a good job of weeding out people who do crappy things.

23. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a fair point. I mean, as far as I can tell the only reason I've ever been neg-repped, regardless of what's been said, is the guy who did it is an asshole. It's sometimes worth knowing if he's an asshole who misspells, though, and if he's left a message you can tell that without looking at any of his posts, which is a definite plus.

24. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    How come I'm unable to neg or pos rep somebody? I used to be able to do it. Anyone able to help?

Also, how do nerps affect your bigsoccer experience?

25. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    I also should point out I've been nerped for reasons including...

1. Not liking the new LA Galaxy Logo
    2. My criticism of San Jose expansion

Hmm... a good thing we aren't policing people's thoughts or freedom of speech on here.