Needed: People who remember Tampa Bay Mutiny 1996

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by TWR, Apr 16, 2003.

1. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    Hey, I'm putting together something involving all the winners of the Supporters Shield. I was wondering if anyone who supported Tampa Bay Mutiny 1996 could tell me more or less the exact formation and players that you guys put out there on most nights throughout the season. I've got the players down, but I'd like to know who played on the right/left, defensive mid/offensive mid, withdrawn striker, etc.

Here are the players to jog your memories:
    Mark Dougherty
    Steve Pittman
    Cle Kooiman
    Frank Yallop
    Derek Backman
    Martin Vasquez
    Frankie Hejduk
    Steve Ralston
    Carlos Valderrama
    Roy Lassister
    Giuseppe Galderisi

striker----striker
    attacking mid
    left wing---------right wing
    defensive mid
    left back--centerback--centerback---right back

or whatever formation your squad used

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    lets try!

...................Mark Dougherty

Steve Pittman- Yallop - kooiman - Derek Backman (can't remember him)

frankie Hejduk (right winger)

Martin Vasquez(will recover balls for pibe) Steve Ralston (support for pibe)

Carlos Valderrama (creation #10)

Roy Lassister (ahead of pepe) Giuseppe Galderisi

3. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can remember was that John Kowalski was the coach!

4. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    No, Thomas Rongen was the coach in 1996. Kowalski was here the following year, if I remember correctly.

I saw John Diffley this evening up here in NYC. He is the assistant coach for the NY Freedoms who beat my beloved Westchester Flames.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    who the heck was/is John diffley?

brother to joe doe?

rongen was the coach in 96/97

the fat polish rat was after that, lazy bomb!

6. Mutineer

Mutineer New Member

Jul 14, 2001
    All I remember is that Evans Wise was one hell of a flashy player that never really did anything in the end.

7. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Indeed!

also remember the bad show it was to watch Pepe Galderisi

what a freaking fake!

evans wise - skinny and fast, will dribnble 3 o 5, even more and then get lost! No one to pass or out bounds....crazy kiddo

8. Billy Bowlegs

Billy Bowlegs Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Rochester, NY
    Hi Efe, Hi Lisa!

Long time no post.

Efe, I think you have the line-up down pretty well. Only thing is, I remember Frankie playing as an outside back who overlapped ALOT (and couldn't cross the ball worth a damn), but maybe that was more in the Kowalski/Hanky days. In my scenario, though, I can't remember who the fourth MF would have been. I also don't remember where Backman played, though I do remember him being on the team. What about Mike Duhaney and Nelson Vargas? Did they not come in until the second year?

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    duhaney and nelson V came the year el Pibe was on Loan to miami, for expansion reasons-

is great to read You dr Billy!

10. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Backman

Derek played on the backline, if I remember correctly.

Billy - contact me.....obviously I'm not in Florida any more! Lot's has happened......you can do so through www.westchesterflames.com

11. penjamo99

penjamo99 New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    Florida
    Galderissi wasn't an original starter in 96. I really don't remember who started with Lassiter but do recall Diego Viera being one of the senior international players. Also remember Greg Lalas seeing a few minutes as a sub. Damn I miss the Mutes!

12. Billy Bowlegs

Billy Bowlegs Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Rochester, NY
    I pasted this line-up directly off of the MLSnet archives. It comes from a Sept. 4, 1996 game against the MetroStars (2--0 Mutiny win, of course!)

TAMPA BAY MUTINY--Mark Dougherty, Frankie Hejduk, Steve Pittman, Frank Yallop, Derek Backman, Goran Hunjak (John Diffley 86), Ivan McKinley, Steve Ralston, Martin Vasquez, Roy Lassiter (Evans Wise 82), Nelson Vargas (Adam Frye 80)
    TOTAL SHOTS: 13 (Hejduk 4, Lassiter 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Hejduk 3); FOULS: 14 (Hunjak 4); OFFSIDE: 10; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: Dougherty 4; CAUTIONS: Dougherty 76; EJECTIONS: none; POSSESSION PERCENTAGE: 49%

Game summary link: http://www.mlsnet.com/games/96/0904tbmet.html
    Entire 1996 season archives link: http://www.mlsnet.com/archive/results_1996.html

I had forgotten about Hunjak. When reviewing some of the summaries from that season, it surprised me how often he was in the line-up. It looks like Frankie was playing outside fullback in the above game, and Vargas playing either forward or attacking midfielder. Lisa's friend Diffley got in as a sub, as well.

Not all of the the games have an active link, but from some of the ones I looked at, it seems that Rongen really used to juggle the line-up. He had Frankie in midfield some of the time and in the back at others, and the same for Backman.

Tampa Bay needs soccer!

13. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I couldn't have said it better myself! I had to move to NYC to get soccer - how sad is that???

14. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Mutiny game 1

http://www.mlsnet.com/games/96/0413netb.html

sigh