Need some GK tips

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Fevernova99, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hello, we have an intramural (play teams within a school) soccer team but no experienced goalie. Basically we play 8 on 8 on a shortened turf field. We are average skilled players who are just out to have a good time but too often we lose because we dont have a good enough of a keeper.

Does anyone here have some tips for a newbie goalie? Maybe some drills to enhance hand-eye coordination? Or some drills to enhance quicker movements across the goal line? We have the most trouble with low shots, high ones we can catch like a basketball but those low shots always sneak into the net.

Thanks alot!
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    One thing I work on often with my young keepers is the "collapse step." Basically, that involves shuffling to the side then allowing your outside leg simply to collapse. Then, as your falling, you try to throw your chest toward the ball, with your hands in a catching position. The object is to smother the ball with your chest and control it with your hands.

It is important to make sure your hips do not turn toward the ground and are kept square with the field of play. It is also important not to use your hands to break your fall, so they are kept free to handle the ball.

3. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My saying for low balls is "Start low to get low". In other words, your starting position should be almost crouched, knees bent and hands to the side. In fact, starting position should always be a bit low, since you can spring up easily, but you can only go down as fast as gravity will let you.

Once you are low, don't waste energy on a low ball going upwards first! Push down, with your lead hand going low; you can almost run the side of your hand along the ground for balls along the grass.

Many inexperienced goalkeepers stand much too upright when waiting for a shot. Then if the ball is low, it's too far down to get to. As Tony Waiters says, your stance should be more like a gorilla than a marine. If your stance is lower and closer to the ground, you'll get the low shots more easily but still should be able to quickly spring up to stop high shots.

4. WNOYES

WNOYES New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    What I do with my daughter is a drill we call juggling.

Start with two balls in your hands about 10 yards from the keeper. Toss the ball at the keeper who should make the save, and roll the ball back to you. While the ball is on the way back, throw the other ball. Vary the delivery, quick rolling balls, balls at head height, bounce the ball hard on the ground 2-3 yards in front of the keeper, etc.

This enables the keeper to get a lot of touchs in a short time, and gets them to be alert looking for the next shot. Thorwing the ball allows me to control the delivery better then kicking it.

Be sure to stress proper mechanics. The keeper should be on the balls of her feet, and should sidestep to get infront of shots.

Hope this helps.

Bill

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't stay on your line on breakaways. Cut down the angle by running out.

6. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
  7. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United

8. Yobbogadaba

Yobbogadaba BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 29, 2003
    Swe
    To become a great goalie you should have a lot of natural talent ,if you have that talent you doesnt have to work as much as a bad goalie to be great.
    But you also have to train very much.

Good Luck!!