Need Opinions!!

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Eddie26, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am going to London in a month for Chelsea/Arsenal. I've decided (and cleared with my wife) the ok to catch a match on Saturday. I have a few choices in and around London that day. Help me pick!

The following sides play at home on Saturday. Which do you think would be the ground/club to see?

I am ranking them in what I think would be the best order. If you could rank them in your opinion I'd be appreciative!

Here's my ranking of what I think would be best:

1) Leyton Orient v Brighton
    2) AFC Wimbledon v Forest Green
    3) Brentford FC v Gillingham
    4) Millwall v Norwich
    5) Tottenham v Villa

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Come on people!!!

3. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My opinion is I am starting the New Year with an Official "Hate Eddie and the Eagles Week":p:mad:..and "America's Team Month":D

p.s. I vote for 3 as Gillingham's area is where long ago part of the kin folk roamed...

p.s.s. was in Philly last month for the first time and actually quite liked the City

p.s.s.s. still hate Eddie though...

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'd go for Wimbledon. Don't know why but it'd be pretty cool to see them in the Conference and those sort of matches have a pretty cool atmosphere to them.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am leaning towards Orient or Wimbledon. I want some opinions though.

6. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd go to Villa and Spurs but I've never seen a Prem game, and am not as familiar with the lower division teams as most here.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's my last choice because I freaking hate Spurs. Plus it'll likely be a tough ticket since they're both top 6 sides. Having already spent about $200 for 2 Chelsea v Arsenal tickets, I'd rather not spend a buttload on another match that I could careless about.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Millwall....I know some of their fans (3) and they totally fit their stereo type. "CRAZY"!!! :D

Our Communications Director is from England and though he likes Chelsea he is actually a Millwall fan and, man, he has told me some stories.

I think you would experience some serious footy atmosphere there.

My 2 cents.

In the end, enjoy and have fun, man - be safe. I wish I could make it to the Bridge this season but with my trip to Germany it just was not possible.

How's everyone's New Year shaping up??? :cool:

9. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Figured. It's why I didn't really chime in at first.

Other than that I guess I would choose Millwall just because their games seem pretty intense as far as the crowd goes, but I don't know much about some of those teams.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'd go to some pub and get hammered and then go to Westminster Abbey.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd make the drive out to the Westafalen.... :D

Driving directions to Dortmund's Signal Iduna Park from Stamford Bridge, Fulham, London.
    379 mi – about 6 hours 48 mins

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What do you think we're doing Wed-Thur-Fri-Mon??!!

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Only 79 miles further than Pittsburgh to Philly and I do that drive all the time!

14. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Eddie GO TO BRENTFORD and then we can both say we were at Griffin Park. It's a small walk from the tube but it's awesome.

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The friend I am staying with lives across Walham Green from Stamford Bridge so I am right in West London so Brentford and Wimbledon are really appealing.

Danny did you take the new Wembley tour? I was thinking about doing that as well.

The only way I don't go to a match on Saturday is if I am able to score 6 Nations tickets for England v Wales.

16. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you making the trip up North sunshine to watch a comedy at St James' Park?

...I'd stay down London if I was you like Eddie my son...

17. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Spurs would be a good game, but as you said the expense may not be worth it.

Brisbane Road has improved a lot over the years and imo that may be the game to go to. Millwall vs Norwich a close second.

Not really sure about AFC Wimbledon match- much better games imo.

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    See I was really leaning towards Orient as well. It was thinking either there or Millwall. Just not that interested in a Conference match even though AFC Wimbledon does draw well.

19. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I havent been to Orient in years, but I did see the improvements to the ground per sky. Should be a half decent game imo.

Probably a coin toss between that and Millwall-Norwich, but based on some of the nutters I would probably lean towards Orient.

20. Lions of the South

Lions of the South New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    South East London
    I know I'm biased but...

Definitely go for Millwall mate. Orient and Brentford aren't a patch on us for atmosphere.

Also, Norwich are a decent size club and are playing well at the moment so it's a pretty big game for us, should be a good crowd.

As terribly biased as this sounds out of those options in terms of the quality of the atmosphere and the quality of football (Spurs, Villa - excepted) Millwall is definately the best choice.

Ps. Don't be put off by any old horror stories you might have heard, I've been going to Millwall since I was about 6 and have never been involved in any sort of trouble. The only way you would find trouble is if you were to look for it.

21. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    That's a great spot, you're right there. I stayed in Earls Court and then the Shed hotel. The very first night I was in town we went to Kingstonian FC's ground Kingsmeadow for a fundraiser who are ground sharing with AFC Wimbledon, so I got a chance to take a peek in there through a fence before the dinner. That would be great to see the Dons in action.

But Brentford's Griffin Park was seriously a nice place. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I was watching our reserves and saw Borini score a goal. Though I'm sure the £5 entry had something to do with it. But this was my first throwback ground with terraces on each end and a solid 12,000+ capacity. Take the Piccadilly to South Ealing and walk down the road from there.

Unfortunately the Wembley tour is one thing that I missed. I will definitely do that next time. If it were me I'd rubbish the 6 nations and take in some lower league football, but you've been over there before and I'm just getting started with my trips!

Do Wembley though. And send me photos.

22. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am not the least bit worried about trouble. Actually one of things that keeps drawing me to Millwall for the match is seeing an American possibly play.

In terms of stadium, which is better? Which would be better for a straight neutral?

The case for Millwall is strong and Orient does have an interesting history as well.

Hmm, luckily all the matches I shouldn't have any problems turning up day of and getting a ticket. Kind of like Chelsea in 2001!

23. Lions of the South

Lions of the South New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    South East London
    The New Den is the bigger ground with the better facilities as it was built alot more recently. Don't get me wrong though, Brisbane Road is a nice, little old fashioned ground and not a bad ground to see watch football by any means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Den
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Road

For a neutral, I would say that Millwall vs Norwich will offer the best experience. Its a top of the table clash with us looking to move up into the playoff places and Norwich into an automatic promotion spot. Norwich are a big club for this division and will bring good away support.

We tend to raise our game for these big important games so it should be a good contest on the pitch with goood vocal support off of it.

Unfortunately, regarding Zak Whitbread it looks like he may well be making a jump to the Championship during the transfer window so it remains to be seen whether he'll be around for that particular match.

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Eduardo

have thou made a decision yet?

25. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am pretty sure it's going to be Millwall v Norwich unless it really rains hard on Thurs or Fri and we don't get to as many other things as we plan.

On a side note, my Chelsea v Arsenal confirmation came today. Shed Lower to the right of the goal 10 rows up.